• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (1 Viewer)

Talking of Snow Goose, the Earthflight series starting tonight should be a cracker, if you saw the clips the other night.

Pioneering micro-cameras fitted to birds, with migrating Snow Geese one of the main themes tonight ... 8pm BBC 1.

Cheers

Andy R.

My first visit to Silverdale CCCP (one for the Soviets!), Iceland Gull showed brilliantly on The Void during the late morning.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 27
Croxhall

Thanks for all the replies - I've had further info that it was associating with a large group of Canadas on "the largest pool of the three at Croxall".

Nick

Presume
Pool 1 Whitmoor Haye main pool (back pool cannot be seen from the road).
pool 2 Croxhall main pool (? Snow Goose here).
pool 3 Croxhall pool other side of railway.

Regards, John

Croxall GP

Presume
Pool 1 Whitmoor Haye main pool (back pool cannot be seen from the road).
pool 2 Croxhall main pool (? Snow Goose here).
pool 3 Croxhall pool other side of railway.

Regards, John

Hi. There are quite a few small pools that make up Croxall but three are the main lake, the scrape and then the east pool I would have thought. Whitemoor Haye is nothing to do with Croxall. Has anyone seen the new plans to reduce the disturbance to the breeding birds by dog walkers and dodgy birders?? There are plans up in the main hide and it will consist of fencing off the top end and directing walkers along the track to a view point by the river then back along the east side where the only access will be to the hide, no general roaming. A little bit better I assume but no sign of moving any hides so people will still sneak up along the top end and no doubt scare off whatever is present.

Hi Alrewas Birder,
Yes Whitmore Haye is nothing to do with Croxhall however someone new to the area or irregular visitor would just use a general term for the area i.e many visitors of past to the now RSPB Middleton lakes would refer to the whole area as Dosthill.
I see you had a good count of Mute Swans on Whitemoor Haye.

Regards, John

Whitemoor Haye.

Hi Alrewas Birder,
Yes Whitmore Haye is nothing to do with Croxhall however someone new to the area or irregular visitor would just use a general term for the area i.e many visitors of past to the now RSPB Middleton lakes would refer to the whole area as Dosthill.
I see you had a good count of Mute Swans on Whitemoor Haye.

Regards, John

Hi, fair comment. Yes we are getting just over 300 Mute Swans daily in the field next to Sittles farm but disappointed that we have had no Whooper Swan this year yet, just 7 Bewicks which stayed a few hours a few weeks ago. Still time for one to appear tomorrow!!!! Still, being entertained with a good flocks of Tree Sparrows and Golden Plovers.

No news for the 30th Dec so far

Extra News for 29th Dec

3w Iceland Gull - again Chasewater in roost also ad Med Gull

So a fantastic year in Staffs is drawing to an end with some damp, mild and (new) birdless weather! Another cracking year for Staffs with many blockers being unblocked but no Staffs ticks for the big listers unfortunately! What will 2012 bring? Hopefully another year like 2011 for Gailey would be nice...my bet for the new year is that a twitchable Red-footed Falcon will finally grace the county...

Plenty of good padders about for the 1st ready to start a new Staffs Year List but doubt it will match 2011 for number of species but I may be wrong...amazingly my Gailey Year List record of 126 has survived with The Snapper getting 123...but without really trying...;)

Last of all happy bird filled new year if I'm too drunk to be bothered to post tomoz night...B :):t:

Strange how the Staffs Wildlife Trust fork out the money to create cuttings into the river to promote areas for birds and they sucumb to people pressure and plan to let folk down there. We all now what happens when folk get to the river, everything goes.....

Hi. There are quite a few small pools that make up Croxall but three are the main lake, the scrape and then the east pool I would have thought. Whitemoor Haye is nothing to do with Croxall. Has anyone seen the new plans to reduce the disturbance to the breeding birds by dog walkers and dodgy birders?? There are plans up in the main hide and it will consist of fencing off the top end and directing walkers along the track to a view point by the river then back along the east side where the only access will be to the hide, no general roaming. A little bit better I assume but no sign of moving any hides so people will still sneak up along the top end and no doubt scare off whatever is present.

News for the 31st Dec

Black Red - Blithfield in Mickledale bay
Water Pipit - Doxey by new sluice
Great Grey Shrike - Upper Longdon
Ad Med Gull - Gailey but no sign of Black Red in 2hrs
Lesser Whitethroat - Fenton Park

Strange how the Staffs Wildlife Trust fork out the money to create cuttings into the river to promote areas for birds and they sucumb to people pressure and plan to let folk down there. We all now what happens when folk get to the river, everything goes.....

say no more staffs wildlife trust strike again ! doxey marshes no acsess to the screen,and part of the circular path both under 8 inches of water caused by the ill thought out NEW SLUICE.......:clap:

say no more staffs wildlife trust strike again ! doxey marshes no acsess to the screen,and part of the circular path both under 8 inches of water caused by the ill thought out NEW SLUICE.......:clap:

Still access to the screen and circular path but you will need wellingtons if you don't want wet feet as I found out today :( Good views of the water pipit though :)

If you're going to have a pop at us, at least have the courtesy to get the full picture.

Croxall - The new access arrangements do include a walk down to the river, but you won't be able to walk along with river bank and there will be a fenced path back down the side of the railway. This new path will provide visitors the chance to see the river restortation, but not to walk along the entire riverbank, so hopefully this will reduce disturbance.

Doxey - The sluice gate isn't ill thought out, its meant to be there. This new sluice gate will hold back more water in the top fields for wading birds and waterfowl. Over the next couple of years we'll also be looking to create new wader scrapes in these fields and restore about 2 miles of internal ditches. We also fully expected a couple of the paths to flood, but until the sluice gate was installed we weren't 100% sure which or where. But to compensate for this we've already started looking at relocating the viewing screen and improving / replacing the paths affected. As these plans are finalised I'll let you all know what is on the cards. Incidentally, if anyone has got any suggestions please get in touch! [email protected]

Personally, I'd rather have a wetland nature reserve at its absolute best condition for the birds which it exists before I worry too much about getting wet feet. :-O

Happy birding all in 2012 :t:

Last edited:
If you're going to have a pop at us, at least have the courtesy to get the full picture.

Croxall - The new access arrangements do include a walk down to the river, but you won't be able to walk along with river bank and there will be a fenced path back down the side of the railway. This new path will provide visitors the chance to see the river restortation, but not to walk along the entire riverbank, so hopefully this will reduce disturbance.

Doxey - The sluice gate isn't ill thought out, its meant to be there. This new sluice gate will hold back more water in the top fields for wading birds and waterfowl. Over the next couple of years we'll also be looking to create new wader scrapes in these fields and restore about 2 miles of internal ditches. We also fully expected a couple of the paths to flood, but until the sluice gate was installed we weren't 100% sure which or where. But to compensate for this we've already started looking at relocating the viewing screen and improving / replacing the paths affected. As these plans are finalised I'll let you all know what is on the cards. Incidentally, if anyone has got any suggestions please get in touch! [email protected]

Personally, I'd rather have a wetland nature reserve at its absolute best condition for the birds which it exists before I worry too much about getting wet feet. :-O

Happy birding all in 2012 :t:

And what about staffs wildlife's involvement at Westport? When was the last time someone from Staffs Wildlife walked through the nature reserve at Westport? What about the state of the path at the bottom gate and what about the fallen down tree that is now blocking the stream causing an obstruction. I do know that a regular birdwatcher there has told Staffs Wildlife about these problems months ago and yet nothing has been done. I'm actually yet to see a Staffs Wildlife member at Westport away from the cosy visitors centre!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back