• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (5 Viewers)

Hi Steve,
The best thing to do if anyone sees anything suspicious is to contact the rangers. The contact numbers are: Mick Payne Head Ranger on (07773) 792361, or the office number is (01543) 871773.

As Steve says, we should all avoid discussing breeding birds with strangers, however innocent they appear to be. Unfortunately this advice is not always followed!

Thanks, Nick

Hi Nick - do you feel able to publish the eggers' photo / name / description? On the Upton Warren thread we have been quite happy to out one such winker

Hales scores again!

Had a phone call from Phil Locker to say that there's a Tundra Bean Goose there today!!
After 5 visits I can hardly call the place my patch, but I'm still well and truely gripped!

From the moment I first arrived on site I thought that it had plenty of potential, but what it's produced recently in such a short period of time has gone beyond my wildest expectations!

And here was me thinking I was going to have the place to myself for a while...!

Last edited:
Had a phone call from Phil Locker to say that there's a Tundra Bean Goose there today!!
After 5 visits I can hardly call the place my patch, but I'm still well and truely gripped!

From the moment I first arrived on site I thought that it had plenty of potential, but what it's produced recently in such a short period of time has gone beyond my wildest expectations!

And here was me thinking I was going to have the place to myself for a while...!

Yep it's on a proper role at the moment just goes to show what a bit of coverage can do for a site...and the drake Green-winged Teal is there again tonight too...:t:

Extra News for the 3rd Apr

2 Osprey - over Belvide at 12.30 & 12.45
Bittern - still Tittesworth at 19.20 on conservation pool
Tree Pipit - Berry Hill Fields

What no news from the new 'mecca' of Hales today...?

Just in case anybody was wondering Gailey is still being watched by The Snapper and hopefully now me again as the financial year end is over and I've recovered from 'man flu'...it's just that there hasn't been anything rare or scarce (except the odd Gailey scarce) to report...yet! :eek!:

bittern tittesworth

bittern photos from monday

s.g.

Attachments

• DSCN1310 (640x457).jpg
    DSCN1310 (640x457).jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN1316 (640x463).jpg
    DSCN1316 (640x463).jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN1338 (640x456).jpg
    DSCN1338 (640x456).jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 27
Hales is the new Gailey! ;)

But after this, will Steve be seen round Utch again, that's what I want to know????

What no news from the new 'mecca' of Hales today...?

Just in case anybody was wondering Gailey is still being watched by The Snapper and hopefully now me again as the financial year end is over and I've recovered from 'man flu'...it's just that there hasn't been anything rare or scarce (except the odd Gailey scarce) to report...yet! :eek!:

Fair enough Nick - PM if you feel there is anything we need to worry about at Upton W.

I agree with Nick. I spend much of my life with websites. If you put something on a website or a forum like this you are publishing it just as sure as if you were putting it in a newspaper and therefore you are bound by the same laws and you could be liable to the same consequences. Please be careful!

Dave

News for the 5th Apr

Common Crane - Stafford south of A34 Radford Bridge at Radford Meadows SWT opposite sailing club viewable from canal towpath but distant also pair of Garganey (SJ939216)

Just heard from 'Sylvia' that he(Mr Locker) and Mr Jones have scored with the Crane this evening. Well done lads, pleased for you after the Kingswood bird not playing ball for you earlier this week.

Now, all it has to do is head a little further south to the lush fields of Gailey!(preferably tomorrow morning when I'll be there before work)

Common Crane at Radford Meadows

Just sat down for my tea and received a text from Scott Petrek to say there was a pair of Garganey showing well at the SWT trust reserve just around the corner from where I live. A few seconds later another text from Scott to report a Common Crane on site.....result..tea abandoned!!

Good views of the bird feeding, then flying around a little after being spooked by a Fox. Still there at dusk, I will get down early tomoz, to see if it's still on site.

Good to see some of the Stoke lads, who made it before dusk & well done Scott for finding it!:clap:

A few record shots attached.

cheers

Rob :t:

Attachments

• DSCN7864a.jpg
    DSCN7864a.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN7865a.jpg
    DSCN7865a.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN7887a.jpg
    DSCN7887a.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 36
Hales is the new Gailey! ;)

But after this, will Steve be seen round Utch again, that's what I want to know????

Nah, looks like Radford Meadows SWT is the new Gailey!

As for me being seen at Utch, it all depends on you pulling your finger out and finding me something good there ;) I'll no doubt carry on doing my WeBS counts there for a bit yet :t:

It's not often I run for a bird, but I did for this and I'm sure it's not a pretty sight. That canal towpath seemed like an eternity! 3:)

All this beauty now has to do is to head towards, ooh, Uttoxeter/Cheadle. But tell you the truth, I was convinced it was going to turn up at Gailey, or Hales.

Well done Scott :t:

Just sat down for my tea and received a text from Scott Petrek to say there was a pair of Garganey showing well at the SWT trust reserve just around the corner from where I live. A few seconds later another text from Scott to report a Common Crane on site.....result..tea abandoned!!

Good views of the bird feeding, then flying around a little after being spooked by a Fox. Still there at dusk, I will get down early tomoz, to see if it's still on site.

Good to see some of the Stoke lads, who made it before dusk & well done Scott for finding it!:clap:

A few record shots attached.

cheers

Rob :t:

Nah, looks like Radford Meadows SWT is the new Gailey!

Hi Steve,

Me and the Moorehen are determined to get Gailey back this Spring as the 'Titchwell' of Staffs ;) 3:)

Its great to see people out searching and finding good birds at new/different sites :t:

Lets hope we can all contribute this Spring and find each other as many Staffs goodies as we can

A big thank you to Scott for putting the news out and to Rob for the use of your scope whilst I recovered from the long slog along the Canal Tow path ;)

A long over due Staffs Tick for myself & Mr Jones rounded off with a fine pair of Garganey :king:

Also congratulations to Richard & Andy who both ventured out of Cheesedale!!!!!

Just enjoying a couple of B :) to celebrate!!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back