• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (5 Viewers)

Where do I start?? As a keen wildlife photographer and based in Stafford I spend most of my time up at Cannock Chase and

I totally agree with telling the Chase Rangers and knowing them myself I am..

You make some good points there Stuart, its not about a particular genera of activity but about individuals....I for one, would like to know a Ranger Service contact number that I could use, to report thoughtless behaviour towards wildlife, I witness on the chase. Would it be the County Council Service at Marquis drive number?

Cheers

Rob

I think the arguments around birders v photographer birders v professional photographers has been done many, many times - I think the best thing to do is just flag up any irresponsible behaviour whoever it might be and that is what Martyn has done - if we know names or have photos let's send them to the people who can do something about it...

Now back to Rare and Scarce birds...

News for the 9th Apr

80+ Crossbill - Cannock Chase near cadet huts

Extra News for 8th Apr

Drake Garganey & Sanderling - Blithfield
Drake Common Scoter - Uttoxeter Quarry

Where do I start?? As a keen wildlife photographer and based in Stafford I spend most of my time up at Cannock Chase and

I totally agree with telling the Chase Rangers and knowing them myself I am..

You make some good points there Stuart, its not about a particular genera of activity but about individuals....I for one, would like to know a Ranger Service contact number that I could use, to report thoughtless behaviour towards wildlife, I witness on the chase. Would it be the County Council Service at Marquis drive number?

Cheers

Rob

The contact Number for the Head Ranger Mick Payne is 07773 792361 or the
office number 01543 871773

That's a very good question.

Presumably this Bank Holiday Monday doesn't count as Mega Monday. If it does then, apart from the Crane of course, it was washed out :-C. However thinking about it, this year's "Mega Monday" bank holiday has been moved into June, for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee! :eek!: Why did no-one think of this before and informed David Cameron and Nick Clegg!!!!! :-O

Two that have been repeated before, Kentish Plover and Red-footed Falcon will do for me! B :)

Hi All,

So whats going to be the big Staffs bird this Spring?

A lingering Common Crane is very good, will this be beaten?

Last edited:
A week ago i had walk down to the patch there's a photographer standing where he shouldn't be. I politely ask him to remove himself from the marsh and all i got was verbal abuse . I then again asked him in not such nice voice and he left , a week before my cousin had 2 photographers standing smack in the middle of the marsh (whats unbelievable) , they saw him and left , This as happened on 3 different occasions now , (You should be ashamed of yourself s ) The worst part for me is i put the bird news out for every one to enjoy them ,( not for them to be harassed )and that makes me really sad :(

Last edited:
Common Crane

Hi All,

just had an other hour with the Crane this morn. Seems a little more flighty this morning around the site, ranging right over towards Rickerscote and back.

Still a popular bird, with plenty of birders coming & going, along the canal also.

cheers

Rob

Extra News for the 10th Apr

Osprey - over Kingsley towards Leek at 16.30
c20 Crossbill - Cannock Chase near cadet huts
female Merlin - Belvide

Hi All,

So whats going to be the big Staffs bird this Spring?

A lingering Common Crane is very good, will this be beaten?

We still have a few regular British rarities that the majority of Staffs Listers need that would be well appreciated this Spring - like Richard has mentioned Red-foot and Kentish are well overdue so are twitchable Golden Oriole, Alpine Swift, Stone-curlew and Bee-eater. I agree with Martyn a nice Caspian Tern would do the trick...at Gailey of course!

Hi All

Two Redstart on Cannock Chase this morning ... my first of the year and both smart males. No sight nor sound of any Cuckoo in the time I was there however.

Cheers

News for the 12th Apr

Ring Ouzel - over Berry Hill Fields also SE Owl, Grasshopper Warbler & Redstart
2 Lesser Spotted Wood - Gailey in fisherman's car park at 07.30

Extra News for 11th Apr

3 Sanderling - Whitemoor Haye on the main pit

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back