• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (3 Viewers)

Nipped down Gailey at lunchtime trying to intercept the Marsh Harrier that flew east thru Belvide but no luck even tho I tried to 'string' all the local Buzzards...:-O

Nice Black Tern tho over the sailing lake with 7 Common Tern but little else of note today.

News for the 30th Apr

Green-winged Teal - Blithfield in Tad bay also 2 Black & 23 Arctic Tern
4 Ring Ouzel - Berry Hill Fields
Osprey - north over Belvide at 15.35 also Marsh Harrier SE at 11.35

News for the 1st May

Marsh Harrier - ad fem over Belvide at 07.15 also 11 Arctic Tern from 12.30 also 5 Whimbrel thru at 14.00

Berry Hill

2 whinchat in the Lapland Bunting paddock this morning along with 42+ wheatears and a yellow wagtail. A lot of the wheatears starting to look like Greenlands today - 2 classics and many others showing characteristics (peachy underparts etc).

Also 10 whitethroats singing in the areas I managed to cover - about half the site. Still well down on expected numbers for this time of year. In addition groppers also appear to be way below recent years numbers too - just 3 or 4 territories. It remains to be seen if more arrive late but it's a worrying prospect that two species which have seen good increases in recent years might have had crashes over the winter.

Crane at Tamworth?

I've been told by a colleague who birds in his spare time that he saw a crane right by the railway line "about a mile or two north of Tamworth".

He couldn't be more exact about location but it sounded convincing and is presumably the Stafford bird relocating. Looking at the map it would appear to be somewhere in the Hademore/Hopwas area.....maybe

Nick

Not particularly scarce in regional terms, but certainly rare in Gailey terms, a Ringie stood on one of the jetties this morning. We had 2 last year after an absence of many years so to get another the year after is very welcome.

Also singing Lesser Whitethroat in hedge by fisherman's c'park.

Not particularly scarce in regional terms, but certainly rare in Gailey terms, a Ringie stood on one of the jetties this morning. We had 2 last year after an absence of many years so to get another the year after is very welcome.

Also singing Lesser Whitethroat in hedge by fisherman's c'park.

Yeh thanks for the 'grip text' while I was on the train up to Manchester...;) good job we had those 2 last year or it would have been hijack time for all those commuters...:-O

News for the 3rd May

Bar-tailed Godwit - thru Belvide at 12.10

Extra News for the 2nd May

5 Black Tern - Whitemore Haye mid anoon
White-fronted Goose - Branston Water Park still

Extra News for 3rd May

2 x 1s Little Gull, 3 Arctic Tern & SE Owl - Aqualate
Black Tern - Blithfield
3 Arctic Tern - Belvide

Berry Hill

Sub-adult male in the white door paddock this morning, plus a whinchat, 40 wheatears, 2 fieldfares and 2 lesser whitethroats. I reckon that's the 15th ring ouzel this spring!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back