• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (6 Viewers)

Extra News for 18th May

3 Black-necked Grebe - Branston on south pit also Sanderling on sandy pit
5 Sanderling - Uttoxeter Quarry

News for the 19th May

3 Black-necked Grebe - Branston Pits
Osprey - north over Gailey at 13.20 also Spotted Fly
Sanderling - 10 Uttoxeter Quarry, 6 Branston Pits & singles at Croxden Quarry & Belvide
Turnstone - singles at Uttoxeter Quarry & Branston Pits

Stroke of Luck --Red-Spotted Bluethroat

Just about leaving Doxey Marshes this morn & chatting to Eric Clare in warrens lane, when the Bluethroat came on the pager.....couldn't believe it!! A quick dash to the other end of the reserve, a 45 minute wait ensued, but then the bird (singing at times) showed superbly off & on, for the next two hours.

Well done to the finder, Doxey regular, Chris Hawkridge. :clap:

Also seen of note...Arctic Tern x 2 flying though + Spotted Flycatcher and Lesser Whitethroat.

cheers

Rob

P.S a word of caution...if your going to Doxey later today,I believe the Homebase car park gates are shut after the store closes, so best to park on the service road.

Last edited:
Bluethroat-doxey

well done to the guy who found it,showing really well at times. great to see a lot of familiar faces.

s.g.

Attachments

• DSCN2737 (640x456).jpg
    DSCN2737 (640x456).jpg
    208 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN2743 (640x457).jpg
    DSCN2743 (640x457).jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN2734 (640x457).jpg
    DSCN2734 (640x457).jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 25
Short-eared Owls at Berryhill

It looks like they have finally vacated the premises, last seen on the 12 May and present
since the 13 November 2011 with up 4 birds present from 20 Dec to 1 Jan.
Real urban stars these birds who seemed amazingly unconcerned by the daily disturbance.

Bluethroat

And a few more, what a little smasher! B :)

Something I've never noticed on Bluethroats before, and I'm now intruiged, are the yellow blobs at the base of the toes. Whats going on there?

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 21
Although the images are not conclusive, Bluethroat's soles can be yellow.

Unfortuantley could not get there myself, a good record for Staffs, soemthing for the newly arrived birders of the region to un-block.

And a few more, what a little smasher! B :)

Something I've never noticed on Bluethroats before, and I'm now intruiged, are the yellow blobs at the base of the toes. Whats going on there?

Thanks Martyn. I wondered if it's some kind of webbing substitute, to help them hop around marshy ground? But whatever it is, every day is a school day.

Although the images are not conclusive, Bluethroat's soles can be yellow.

Unfortuantley could not get there myself, a good record for Staffs, soemthing for the newly arrived birders of the region to un-block.

Was birding in 92 Martyn but the phone message never got passed onto me by my Mum as I was recovering from a stag night at a friends house and was un-contactable.

A very nice grip back for me :t:

B :)

Was birding in 92 Martyn but the phone message never got passed onto me by my Mum as I was recovering from a stag night at a friends house and was un-contactable.

A very nice grip back for me :t:

B :)

Good to see you there Phil and quite a few others I haven't seen for a while...:t:

Cracking bird as always and showed fantastically well just perched in the open at about a range of 20 feet!

I checked my notes as I was also sure the Tittesworth bird was '92 but my notes say i saw it on 22.5.1994 - so almost 18 years to the day since the last twitchable bird in Staffs...very much enjoyed this 2nd helping...B :)

What an absolute stonker! Cant believe I have seen Bluethroat in consecutive years in the West Mids. How many records have there been in Staffs?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back