• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (3 Viewers)

I was on about turtle doves. http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/18006233 Although that article says the decline is from 1997 and not 1970.

One of the old Coombes vols is now at Bempton. Pretty jealous as not only does she get to go twitch anything that lands from there to Spurn, but she also goes out taking photos with Steve Race http://www.steverace.com/Steve_Race_Wildlife_Photography/Portfolios/Portfolios.html Who sells his prints from the shop at Bempton.

Adam

Apologies Adam, thats me not reading things properly, also can't spell plain either!

News for the 2nd June

8 Sanderling - Blithfield on the causeway
7 Sanderling - Belvide flew thru also Arctic Tern
Sanderling - Uttoxeter Quarry also 2 Egyptian Geese

Red Foot at Willington,this morning!! What is it about Derbys that they like so much, a near miss on Staffs mega weekend:-(

Red Foot at Willington,this morning!! What is it about Derbys that they like so much, a near miss on Staffs mega weekend:-(

Really Staffs mega weekend was last week as that is the normal bank holiday, moved this year as you know because of the Jubilee

I think we had it the weekend before that though with the Bluethroat, can't see another one but that Red-foot is very close to the border so you never know, fingers crossed it makes it over tomorrow.

Tree Pipits

There is a project in the UK that is monitoring the health and movement of the tree pipit population. One of the study areas is Cannock Chase. A large number of tree pipits have been ringed with combination shown in the attached image.

Left leg- metal above colour
Right leg- 2 colour rings

Could any bird watchers or photographers with images or records of these birds contact me by private message so that I can pass on any information

Many thanks

Attachments

• rings1.jpg
    rings1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 13
Theres been a number of Red-Foots in Derbys in recent years.

Lets hope this one moves south! Whitemoor Haye could be a good bet :eek!:

Hi All

Went to see the Red-footed Falcon yesterday and got great close-up views of it now hawking insects along the banks of the River Trent on the Newton Solney side of Willington ... no more than 1000 metres or so from the Staffs border (where the Dove enters the Trent).

Several other Staffs birders there ... and it's getting closer ... but the tornado winds forecast tomorrow could take the bird anywhere !

Cheers

Andy R.

Theres been a number of Red-Foots in Derbys in recent years.

Lets hope this one moves south! Whitemoor Haye could be a good bet :eek!:

The way this year has gone thats not a bad shout as I am off to do some birding in Yorkshire/Lincolnshire on Saturday. Have missed Osprey, Little Gull and Hen Harrier whilst away from Whitemoor Haye recently, well last year for the HH. Someone better get down there. :t:
Really enjoyed watching this birs last night, only a couple of miles from my first ever at Ingleby. Come to Staffs little birdy. :eat:

The way this year has gone thats not a bad shout as I am off to do some birding in Yorkshire/Lincolnshire on Saturday. Have missed Osprey, Little Gull and Hen Harrier whilst away from Whitemoor Haye recently, well last year for the HH. Someone better get down there. :t:
Really enjoyed watching this birs last night, only a couple of miles from my first ever at Ingleby. Come to Staffs little birdy. :eat:

I popped in to see the Red-foot yesterday, and spent a while studying the maps before hand. This bird is surprisingly close to Staffs. However, I can't really see any access down to the river near to the Staffs border along the River Dove. Is the nearest access point the path near to Clay Mills SW? Any Trent Valley locals know of any other paths down?

You can view the confluence of the Dove and Trent at Newton Solney.

I popped in to see the Red-foot yesterday, and spent a while studying the maps before hand. This bird is surprisingly close to Staffs. However, I can't really see any access down to the river near to the Staffs border along the River Dove. Is the nearest access point the path near to Clay Mills SW? Any Trent Valley locals know of any other paths down?

Tree Pipits

There is a project in the UK that is monitoring the health and movement of the tree pipit population. One of the study areas is Cannock Chase. A large number of tree pipits have been ringed with combination shown in the attached image.

Left leg- metal above colour
Right leg- 2 colour rings

Could any bird watchers or photographers with images or records of these birds contact me by private message so that I can pass on any information

On the subject of Tree Pipits as far as I know there is only 1 bird on territory
at Hanchurch this year !! dont know what the situation is on the chase?

Just returned from a week in windy Devon and for once I haven't missed anything! What is it with Red-Foot's and Staffs!? Have they got a built in sat nav that keeps them out of our airspace...

News for the 9th June

3 Sanderling - Croxden Quarry from viewpoint
2 Arctic Tern - thru Uttoxeter Quarry at 07.10

Barn Owls

Treated to a special early evening viewing of 2 adult Barn Owls hunting and perched at sensitive site in North Staffs, they have had 4 young and are doing very well.

News for the 12th June

2 Avocet - Belvide at the west end at 13.05 at least.

Extra News for the 11th June

Osprey - over Rugeley at 20.15

A first for Staffordshire - good news and bad news

The good news is that a Short-toed Lark spent from June 4th-7th at a location in North Staffs which, if accepted, would be a county first. Obviously the bad news is that it turned up on private farmland and the farmer wouldn't allow information about the bird to be broadcast, not wanting to host the inevitable huge twitch - a real shame.

As far as I know, there have only been two other inland records of s-t lark from Bucks and Northants but if anyone knows otherwise, I'd appreciate an update.

Cheers, Nick

The good news is that a Short-toed Lark spent from June 4th-7th at a location in North Staffs which, if accepted, would be a county first. Obviously the bad news is that it turned up on private farmland and the farmer wouldn't allow information about the bird to be broadcast, not wanting to host the inevitable huge twitch - a real shame.

As far as I know, there have only been two other inland records of s-t lark from Bucks and Northants but if anyone knows otherwise, I'd appreciate an update.

Cheers, Nick

Wow! What a cracking record for Staffs! The even better news (for me) is that I was in Devon on those exact dates so would have been royally gripped by the whole of Staffs or faced a long twitch of 400+ miles!!

Look forward to hearing the details and maybe some photos in the near future.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back