• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (3 Viewers)

Congratulations Steve B :). Just remember "Birds come before family!" :)-

You did well to ensure the first few months occurred "out of season". Crafty bit of planning that! ;)

Seen by Popeye's Dad!

:-O:-O Classic!

News for the 17th July

Whimbrel - over The Void, Silverdale early am.
Osprey - Blithfield in Tad bay
Red-crested Pochard - drake still Belvide

Pretty quiet at Gailey this lunchtime but the family party of 5 Spotted Fly still showing very well on the fence in the SW corner of the fishing resv and on the fence around the old chimney at the end of the causeway.

:-O:-O Classic!

News for the 17th July

Whimbrel - over The Void, Silverdale early am.
Osprey - Blithfield in Tad bay
Red-crested Pochard - drake still Belvide

Pretty quiet at Gailey this lunchtime but the family party of 5 Spotted Fly still showing very well on the fence in the SW corner of the fishing resv and on the fence around the old chimney at the end of the causeway.

Had a family of spotted flycatchers of a similar size at Coombes on Tuesday. Also seen a few in the top meadow at the reserve this week. Definatley seems the time to catch up with them.

Adam

Had a family of spotted flycatchers of a similar size at Coombes on Tuesday. Also seen a few in the top meadow at the reserve this week. Definatley seems the time to catch up with them.

Adam

Yep definately a good time to catch up with Spott Fly as the young are more active and very vocal - around end of July they can gather in decent 'flocks' and attract the odd out of range Pied Fly too - but I've never had one join the Gailey birds...yet!

News for the 18th July

Osprey - Blithfield in Tad bay at 16.30
Red-crested Pochard - drake still at Belvide

News for the 21st July

Red-crested Pochard - still Belvide

Extra News for the 20th July

2 ad Little Gull - thru Blithfield also Turnstone
Sanderling - Belvide also 5 Crossbill over

News for the 22nd July

6 Common Scoter (5 drake) - Tittesworth Reservoir
Red-crested Pochard - drake still Belvide also 9 Crossbill over
Little Gull - JCB Rocester South Lake
Turnstone - Blithfield on the dam

Staffs Bird News

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know we now have a new email address [email protected]

Steve Seal has sadly left us and moved on to pastures new, he's just over the border in Cheshire, we would just like to say a massive thank to him for starting up this superb blog and wish him every success in the future.

He hasn't gone far, you will find him at www.cheshirebirdnews.blogspot.com

Sound familiar:t:

glossy ibis alert

May be it's the heat - not used to it but just seen what looked to me to be a Glossy Ibis circling over the Observatory at Keele (13.30). It was very distant and only had my bins and macro lens (!). Just posting this in haste in case anyone is in the Keele-Silverdale area.

Will post rubbish photo and details later.

May be it's the heat - not used to it but just seen what looked to me to be a Glossy Ibis circling over the Observatory at Keele (13.30). It was very distant and only had my bins and macro lens (!). Just posting this in haste in case anyone is in the Keele-Silverdale area.

Will post rubbish photo and details later.

OK one rubbish photo but you can't see the small head with down-curved bill on it but it is only a 100mm lens!

Attachments

• ibis.jpg
    ibis.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 84
Hmm. I've seen Glossys in a few different countries, and I can't ever recall them soaring like that. When you looked through binoculars, could you see the legs trailing behind the tail? Can't make that out from the photo, the wings look a bit broad too.

There has been a Bald Ibis knocking about in recent times. I drove past it on the 24th May, in a field near Leek when on my way to Manchester airport. It's also been seen in Ch*shire and up towards Manchester.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=234730

More than happy to be proved wrong of course, but I just wonder if it's this bird again, seeing the light and leaving Cheshire 8-P.

OK one rubbish photo but you can't see the small head with down-curved bill on it but it is only a 100mm lens!

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker

Hi

A rather lucky friend in Kidsgrove has had a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker in their garden last weekend.
Was thought to have been a Great Spotted at first, but had no red plumage what so ever and a Great Spotted came into the garden at the same time so the size difference became obvious to them.

Have to say I am rather jealous just get Great Spotted in my Silverdale garden.

Tim.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back