• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (3 Viewers)

Meir...
12 waxwings westward over the garden at 2.15 pm,they didn't drop in for the apples! heading for the Longton area? notice all berry types in short supply.

Andy

Re Doxey Marshes. I always park by the churchyard at the back Of GreyFriars Way - SJ916240.
The Pollarded Trees are around grid ref: SJ905243. You will see a viewing platform north west from there. Running from that platform is a barbed wire fence. The water pipit that was there earlier this year favoured that area. Hope this helps

Andy

Re Doxey Marshes. I always park by the churchyard at the back Of GreyFriars Way - SJ916240.
The Pollarded Trees are around grid ref: SJ905243. You will see a viewing platform north west from there. Running from that platform is a barbed wire fence. The water pipit that was there earlier this year favoured that area. Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply hope to give it a go tomorrow

Thanks for the reply hope to give it a go tomorrow

Hi Andy,

If you are going to Doxey, I would strongly recommend wellies.

On previous visits(earlier this year) the area near the screen and the pensioner pollards was often under water meaning wellies essential.

It is worth standing at the screen and carefully scanning around the edge of the scrape. Also, the area just to the right on the approach to the screen can be good for WP.

I very often found, you would hear it call then see it drop in to a specific area. With patience, it would show well.

Good luck :t:

Black-Necked Grebe still at Gailey today, showing very well at the top of the fishing pool.

Also, ad Med Gull knocking around both pools and also with very large number of Blk-H Gulls in nearby ploughed field. This particular individual is different to the bird we had a few weeks ago(having a rather heavy and dark 'smudge' on the head, being particularly dark around the ear coverts).
Interesingly, this bird is sporting a silver coloured ring on its right leg so definitely not the Polish bird we have had in previous winters. It will be interesting to see where this has come from?

Record shot of one of the distant Waxwings at Aqualate today.

Also, Cetti's Warbler called twice to the left of the hide this morning.

Cheers
Ian

Attachments

• Waxwing.jpg
    Waxwing.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 20
Had message off Higgo today "Back on Scilly after MOT - feeling great, many thanks to all" - you can't keep a good man down for long! Great news...:t:

News for the 10th Nov

Common Crane - Tittesworth flew west over dam at 10.20 also Jack Snipe
Great White Egret - Clay Mills by River Trent this pm
Water Pipit - Doxey from screen hide tho elusive
2 adult Caspian Gull - Belvide roost
Adult Iceland & Med Gull - Chasewater roost

j snipe

j snipe [ still present at 12.30] and green wood [rare here nowadays] t/worth today.

s.g.

Attachments

• DSCN2787 (640x457).jpg
    DSCN2787 (640x457).jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN2790 (640x458).jpg
    DSCN2790 (640x458).jpg
    256 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN2784 (640x457).jpg
    DSCN2784 (640x457).jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN2832 (640x457).jpg
    DSCN2832 (640x457).jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 24
Plenty of Waxwing activity around the Burger King in Hanley this afternoon around 15:00.
Was good to bump into some fellow birders, one chap had a great video of a male Hen Harrier up at Swallow Moss.
Seemed to be two groups of Wawings around at the time.

Tim.

Attachments

• waxwing1.jpg
    waxwing1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 18
Hi All

The Great Grey Shrike at Upper Longdon came up on Birdguides this afternoon ... does anyone have any more info ?

Cheers

Andy R.

News for the 11th Nov

Great White Egret - SW of Newton Solney in field east of Clay Mills sewage works
2 adult Caspian Gull - Belvide roost again
Black-necked Grebe - Gailey on fishing lake also ad Med Gull on sailing lake and in field north of access road
Short-eared Owl - Upper Hulme at 16.00
Scaup - 1st winter still Westport Lake

Sunday at Gailey

Just a couple of images from Sunday at Gailey Pools

Attachments

• IMG_9491 (Large).JPG
    IMG_9491 (Large).JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9522 (Large).JPG
    IMG_9522 (Large).JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 30
Just a couple of images from Sunday at Gailey Pools

Nice couple of shots Wimpy - cracker of the grebe...:t:

News for the 12th Nov

Great White Egret - still Newton Solney at Clay Mills sewage works
Ringtail Hen Harrier - Walsall at Goscote at 11.25
Female Common Scoter - Blithfield off Beech Tree Point
37 Waxwing - Hanley at Octagan Retail Park this pm
11 Waxwing - near Brownhills flew towards Brownhills High Street
7 Waxwing - Essington along Brownshaw Lane

For those on here who I have not texted personally, just to let you know
that Nick Smith is currently unwell with similar problems to those which Higgo
has suffered recently so I am sure you will join me in wishing Nick a speedy recovery and we look forward to seeing him back down Westport and Branston thrashing about in the undergrowth in search of that elusive rarity.
'' All the best mate ''

For those on here who I have not texted personally, just to let you know
that Nick Smith is currently unwell with similar problems to those which Higgo
has suffered recently so I am sure you will join me in wishing Nick a speedy recovery and we look forward to seeing him back down Westport and Branston thrashing about in the undergrowth in search of that elusive rarity.
'' All the best mate ''

I think we all agree with the above :clap::clap::clap:

Get well soon Nick.

Report White-rumped Sandpiper DBP

I recieved a text this afternoon from Nick Martin regarding a White-rumped Sand at DBP, Nick asking me to spread the news.
I then telephoned Nick to clear access arrangements, Nick saying at this stage of the works being undertaken that it's now O.K to go to the North pit along the track by the canal. I then asked Nick about the White-rumped Sandpiper report. Nick said that a senior RSPB ecologist and experienced birder was on site and saw the White-rumped Sandpiper with 3 Reshank in area south of North pit.

Regards, John

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back