• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (4 Viewers)

Ive just read a light hearted article about Robin Strokers and this line was included in one of the paragraphs:

the sort of well-meaning ignoramus that serious birders call a "robin stroker"

Dean:t::eek!::-O

I only stroke American Robins;)

There almost as common as European Robin in the UK these days 'Mr Stroker'...gotta be Siberian Blue or Rufous-tailed for me...(I wish!)...;)

News for the 20th Nov

White-rumped Sandpiper - Drayton Bassett Pits still on new workings
c70 Waxwing - Burton off St Peters Bridge at Tesco
10 Waxwing - Cheslyn Hay on Coppice Lane
9 Waxwing - Belvide in SE bay til 11.45 then flew east
1w drake Scaup - still Westport Lake

Waxwing - Lichfield

Hi All

30+ Waxwing still, on Cappers Lane near the Royal Mail building, when I drove by at 10.25 this morning.

Cheers

Andy R.

Theres a Snow Bunt reported for yesterday by ' Happy Hammer ' on the NS Moors section of forum, apparently it was by the Mermaid pool in the afternoon

Blake Mere

I'll check the Mermaid Pool (Blake Mere) area on Friday. Very heavy rain up there last night and today. This afternoon and into the early evening very thick fog along Morridge and visibility was very poor!

Dean:t:

Great Grey Shrike & Waxwing

Hi All

I came across the Upper Longdon Great Grey Shrike covering the lower slopes off Startley Lane mid-morning today.
It was doing it's level-best to stay out of the worst of the near gale-force winds cutting across the clearfell... where I nearly got blown-over trying to take this very distant record digibinned-shot !
The Lichfield Waxwing, down to around 35 to 40 now, were still on Cappers Lane - until they flew off at 1.20pm.

Cheers

Andy R.

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 40
News for the 22nd Nov

No news either way on White-rumped Sand today due to access problems from the flooding.

Juv Great Northern Diver - Chasewater on Swag at dusk also 2 ad Med Gull
Adult Caspian Gull - Belvide
2w Caspian Gull - Blithfield
9 Waxwing - Burton at Trent Washlands
Waxwing - Stafford flew over High St early am
1w drake Scaup - still Westport Lake

Last edited:
is this the same pool as blake mere? the directions on staffs birding make no sense as it says follow road to warslow from mermaid inn when the direct way is carry straight on or is it another pool

Hi - The mermaid pool is on the same side of the road as the Old mermaid pub,
a few hundred yards further on on the left hand side of the road. I remember seeing a Snow Bunt in the same place years ago.

Hi - The mermaid pool is on the same side of the road as the Old mermaid pub,
a few hundred yards further on on the left hand side of the road. I remember seeing a Snow Bunt in the same place years ago.

thanks, that makes sense. i think the directiosn need changing as they take you the long way round.

Great Northern Diver - Chasewater

Hi All

The juvenile GND was showing well on the Swag today, especially around mid-day when it was close in off the Chasewater Railway causeway.
In one digiscoped shot here the bird is looking up at a plane heading down to Birmingham Airport.

Cheers
Andy R.

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 29
Two Buntings showing well around 14-30 , thanks to Dean and Terry for re-locating them nice one guy's..........:t:

Attachments

• SnowBunting A (2).jpg
    SnowBunting A (2).jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 26
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back