• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (3 Viewers)

Thanks Geoff, should be able to give it a go Thurs or Friday work permitting - unless of course it was the Belvide bird!?

News for the 28th Nov

Juv Great Northern Diver - still Pool Hall this am.
Juv Great Northern Diver - still Chaswater on Swag this am
Juv Great Northern Diver - Belvide 14.00-c14.45 only.
Great Northern Diver - Uttoxeter Quarry this am only also 15 Whooper Swan & Common Sand
84 Waxwing - Lichfield still on Europa Way
50 Waxwing - Dosthill in garden on Ascot Drive
3 Waxwing - Wolverhampton flew over towards Molineux

You can probably link the Tox and Belv GND's as the same bird, but where did it come from. We'll find out tomorrow hopefully to see which diver remains. Fine time to add a GND to your local patch as well. Westports only record was in 1980!

You can probably link the Tox and Belv GND's as the same bird, but where did it come from. We'll find out tomorrow hopefully to see which diver remains. Fine time to add a GND to your local patch as well. Westports only record was in 1980!

Yeh I did think the Utch and Belvide birds might be one of the same but with so many about could both be new birds. Saw an overwintering bird at Gailey in 91/92 I think it was but been a long time...think The Snapper is going first light tomoz just in case...:t:

Enjoyed the Pool Hall bird this morning, then popped up to Belvide.I left the West hide around 13.45.
A GND dropped in and was viewed from the West hide just after 14.00, perhaps it followed me 8-P

Attachments

• gndblog1.jpg
    gndblog1.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 13
News for the 29th Nov

54 Waxwing - Lichfield at Nether Stowe on Eastern Ave
40+ Waxwing - Wolverhampton in Finchfield at Adams Ave / Northfield Grove junction
28 Waxwing - Dosthill on Ascot Drive
12 Waxwing - Stafford on Highfield Grove
Upto 10 Waxwing - various sites in Stoke
No sign of the Great Northern Diver - Pool Hall

So no sign of the Diver on first day I get a spare hour and when at work 40+ Waxwing about a mile from my house. Roll on retirement I say...in about 30 years...:-C

Extra News for the 29th Nov

Juv Great Northern Diver - Chasewater still on Swag also ad Iceland Gull in roost
8 fem/imm Common Scoter & 3 Scaup - Blithfield
No sign of the Great Grey Shrike - Upper Longdon

News for the 29th Nov

So no sign of the Diver on first day I get a spare hour and when at work 40+ Waxwing about a mile from my house. Roll on retirement I say...in about 30 years...:-C

Hi Ian,
Looks like the Pool Hall bird, was the bird that turned up at Belvide. I spoke to Knocker this evening who said there was no sign of that bird at 2.30pm yesterday.

Cheers Steve

40+ Waxwing - Wolverhampton in Finchfield at Adams Ave / Northfield Grove junction

The Waxwing are still at the bottom of Adams Road this morning, flitting between the tall trees at the bottom of my garden, and the Mountain Ash out front ... working from home has it's advantages some days ;)

Attachments

• 324_077.jpg
    324_077.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 19
Sorry to report that they flew off around mid morning, however there are still plenty of berries left on the Mountain Ash so they could return, worth a look if you are local

As we now know, the Belvide bird is the Pool Hall individual, so I think it's likely that the Tox bird is actually the Blithers bird relocating (having turned up the day after the Blithers bird disappeared).

Sorry to report that they flew off around mid morning, however there are still plenty of berries left on the Mountain Ash so they could return, worth a look if you are local

Hi Martyn, I popped down to have a look between mtgs btwn 10.15 and 10.30 but no sign - appears like I didn't miss them by much! Noted plenty of berries still and a similar size tree with berries on Finchfield Road so sure they will return. If they do I'll pop round as I only live round the corner in Bradmore. Think I need to get a Mountain Ash for the garden ready for the next invasion...

Extra News for the 30th Nov

Adult Caspian Gull & imm Common Scoter - Blithfield
Juv Great Northern Diver - still Chasewater on The Swag
80 Waxwing - Lichfield at Nether Stow
42 Waxwing - Dosthill btwn Ascot Drive & Sefton Road
6 Waxwing - Stafford at Cornwall Drive / Baswich Lane junction

I remember finding the single Waxwing at Codsall Middle School in Jan 1987 - it was a lifer at the time and was the first one 'for some time'...invasions are now fairly regular events - how times have changed!

I remember finding the single Waxwing at Codsall Middle School in Jan 1987 - it was a lifer at the time and was the first one 'for some time'...invasions are now fairly regular events - how times have changed!

Indeed - I remember finding 3 near my high school (it was something like 1991) when, as you say, Waxwings inland were much more irregular than these days. Needless to say, being a fairly clueless schoolboy birder at the time, they blew my mind!!!
It does seem like such a big change; makes me wonder what's triggered it? Harsher winters in their normal range? Less food available? Or simply a change in migration route/wintering range, similar to the likes of Yellow-browed Warbler?

Indeed - I remember finding 3 near my high school (it was something like 1991) when, as you say, Waxwings inland were much more irregular than these days. Needless to say, being a fairly clueless schoolboy birder at the time, they blew my mind!!!
It does seem like such a big change; makes me wonder what's triggered it? Harsher winters in their normal range? Less food available? Or simply a change in migration route/wintering range, similar to the likes of Yellow-browed Warbler?

Yes does make you wonder - I'd guess at less food available (especially this year) but probably with some natural change in wintering range built in. Remember the '87 Waxwing dropping into a bush by the school gates and my birding teacher (who inspired my fasination with birds!) insisting I write description as it had gone before he arrived - luckily it appeared again on the next day (and I avoided being labelled a schoolboy 'stringer') and stayed the weekend for the masses (it was pretty well twitched!)

Hi Ian,
Looks like the Pool Hall bird, was the bird that turned up at Belvide. I spoke to Knocker this evening who said there was no sign of that bird at 2.30pm yesterday.

Cheers Steve

Cheers mate, did have my suspicions it was the Belvide bird but that looks pretty definite now! Explains why it wasn't there the next morning...

Extra News for the 30th Nov

Jack Snipe - Belvide on the north shore
Merlin - Branston by small meadows farm

Final month of the year is here - any great surprises before the year is out I wonder? Maybe a rarity lurking in somebody's garden? A nice Dusky Thrush or a Pine Grosbeak lurking with the Waxwings would go down a treat...in Staffs!!

the g n diver at t/worth today. also 3 of the 4 shellducks, quite rare in dec.?
good to see nick and george out and about.

s.g.

Attachments

• DSCN3083 (640x463).jpg
    DSCN3083 (640x463).jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 18
  • P1230223 (640x457).jpg
    P1230223 (640x457).jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 10
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back