• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (2 Viewers)

Hi Martyn, I popped down to have a look between mtgs btwn 10.15 and 10.30 but no sign - appears like I didn't miss them by much! Noted plenty of berries still and a similar size tree with berries on Finchfield Road so sure they will return

Didn't see the Waxwings at your garden again Martyn but bumped into 3 on my way home outside the Merry Hill pub - they dropped down onto the white berried Mountain Ash on Finchfield Road I mentioned yday.

The Ferruginous Duck that came on the pager earlier for Dosthill Lake is actually just over the border in Warks if it is on the main lake.

Extra News for the 1st Dec

122 Mandarin - Brookleys Lake
Ad Med Gull - Gailey on sailing lake

Waxwings
60 Dosthill
10 Tamworth at Overwoods Road
7 Cannock Railway Station
6 Stafford at Cornwall Drive / Baswich Lane

Extra News for the 1st Dec

Ad Iceland Gull - Chasewater in the roost
Ad Caspian Gull - reported Belvide in the roost at 16.10 also probable Scandinavian Chiffchaff
50 Waxwing - Dosthill on Cadogan Road

Long-tailed Duck Dosthill Main Pit (Warks) today flew over river towards RSPB reserve (Staffs) mid-afternoon. This looks to be a different bird to the one 2 weeks ago.

Long-tailed Duck Dosthill Main Pit (Warks) today flew over river towards RSPB reserve (Staffs) mid-afternoon. This looks to be a different bird to the one 2 weeks ago.

Cheers Pezza, wondered why pager had reported Fudge and LT Ducks as Staffs when on Dosthill Lake - maybe mistaken for Dosthill NR (Staffs) - think they need to get their maps out! ;)

News for the 2nd Dec

Juv Great Northern Diver - still Tittesworth
2w Iceland & ad Med Gull - Chasewater roost
Near-ad Caspian Gull, fem Scaup & Cetti's Warbler - Belvide

Lost track of Waxwing today but couldn't find any on my local Mountain Ash trees unlike yday - max today I think was 50+ in Lichfield still.

Cheers Pezza, wondered why pager had reported Fudge and LT Ducks as Staffs when on Dosthill Lake - maybe mistaken for Dosthill NR (Staffs) - think they need to get their maps out! ;)

News for the 2nd Dec

Juv Great Northern Diver - still Tittesworth
2w Iceland & ad Med Gull - Chasewater roost
Near-ad Caspian Gull, fem Scaup & Cetti's Warbler - Belvide

Lost track of Waxwing today but couldn't find any on my local Mountain Ash trees unlike yday - max today I think was 50+ in Lichfield still.

I found the LT Duck at Dosthill and when i put it out to birdguides I stated "Dosthill main lake Warks" and ive just checked it came through as Warks... cant coment on later reports.

Jon

I found the LT Duck at Dosthill and when i put it out to birdguides I stated "Dosthill main lake Warks" and ive just checked it came through as Warks... cant coment on later reports.

Jon

Thanks Jon - must have just been on RBA they changed it to Staffs - Dosthill the village is in Staffs but the border runs thru the middle of Fishers Mill and the new Reedbed Pits - all very important stuff to listers for the two counties as I'm sure you know! Maybe the RSPB could build a nice border fence...;)

a couple of better shots of the diver at t/worth today.

s.g.

Attachments

• DSCN3122 (640x457).jpg
    DSCN3122 (640x457).jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN3152 (640x457).jpg
    DSCN3152 (640x457).jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 17
Thanks Jon - must have just been on RBA they changed it to Staffs - Dosthill the village is in Staffs but the border runs thru the middle of Fishers Mill and the new Reedbed Pits - all very important stuff to listers for the two counties as I'm sure you know! Maybe the RSPB could build a nice border fence...;)

I did know the main lake was warks but i wouldnt say i'm that clued up on the exact border locations... but I know a man that does ;)

Rudyard late morning.
A small finch flock along north end of railway line with 2 x Brambling , 7 x Siskin and 11 x Lesser Redpoll today . Good numbers of Nuthatch around along with 4 x Willow Tit at the bridge north end and a single Kingfisher.
Steve........:t:

Lichfield Waxwing

Hi All

31 x Waxwing on Eastern Avenue near Lichfield City Football Club, at the end of Gilbert Road, at 9.55 this morning, before they were chased off by some Mistlethrush.
I am sure they will keep returning however, with a decent number of berries left on their favourite two trees there - thrush-mob permitting of course !

Cheers

Andy R.

Hi All

No sign of the Great Grey Shrike at Upper Longdon this afternoon, neither on the clearfell nor around the main track down the far left-hand side. The logging lorries have been around the bottom perimeter of the clearfell and may have contributed to it's recent scarcity.

Cheers

Andy R.

Lichfield Waxwing

Hi All

31 x Waxwing on Eastern Avenue near Lichfield City Football Club, at the end of Gilbert Road, at 9.55 this morning, before they were chased off by some Mistlethrush.
I am sure they will keep returning however, with a decent number of berries left on their favourite two trees there - thrush-mob permitting of course !

Cheers

Andy R.

Hi Al

There were more Waxwing this morning when I stopped off for a while an hour or so ago... around 40 to 50 ... but still being spooked by the thrush-mob and therefore very mobile.

Cheers

Andy R.

Happy Christmas

Its that time of year again so just want to say Happy Christmas and season's greetings to all who pass by and read this thread. The weeks and months have flown by this year.

Dean:t:

Last edited:
Stafford Waxwings

Hi All.
3 Waxwings and more heard flying around at the western end of Truro way nr junction with Cornwall drive. Feeding on small berry tree in front garden. They are that tame you could almost touch them.

Jason

News for the 6th Dec

Juv Great Northern Diver - still Chasewater on The Swag
Great Grey Shrike - Cannock Chase by road opp visitor centre c11.25
2 Scaup - Blithfield in Mickledale bay
30+ Waxwing - Newcastle at Trent Vale on Lincoln Ave and 12 on A52 Hartshill Road btwn Nirvana restaurant and roundabout

Lichfield Waxwing

Hi All

45 to 50 Waxwing today, again opposite Lichfield City Football Club on Eastern Avenue. Though as mobile as usual, they were also showing exceptionally well at times, feeding just a few metres away from several photographers who were making good use of the winter sunshine.

Cheers

Andy R.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back