• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (7 Viewers)

Popped to see the ugliest bird in Brownhills today (debatable I know)
Looked very content feeding amongst the horses. Here's a record shot I took. Possibly the easiest twitch ever. Dean
View attachment 479293

That is a very brave call...the ugliest bird in Brownhills? That would be some competition that might need a few B :) first...

Extra News for the 10th Jan

1w Long-tailed Duck & Great Northern Diver - Blithfield
1w Long-tailed Duck & 4 Scaup - still Belvide
Adult Iceland & adult Caspian Gull - Chasewater roost also at Stubber's Green early pm

Last edited:
Gailey this afternoon........the Great Northern Diver and Great white Egret still on the sailing lake. And an Oystercatcher on the island.

Good to see Gailey getting plenty of coverage with the GWE and GND taking up residency. It's usually at times like this that other decent stuff gets picked up there. Yep, the Oystercatcher first arrived on the 28th Dec, my first mid-winter record of the species.

Good to see Gailey getting plenty of coverage with the GWE and GND taking up residency. It's usually at times like this that other decent stuff gets picked up there. Yep, the Oystercatcher first arrived on the 28th Dec, my first mid-winter record of the species.

I've never known it have so much coverage, it's got to the stage where there's almost always someone there.

If anyone fancies checking the Crossbill flock by Upper Longdon, don't bother. There is not a tree left within the triangle. All felled!

Unsurprisingly, no sign of any birds there.

Gailey

Great White Egret at the second attempt today.

Shortly afterwards, sadly I had to witness the Oystercatcher being shot by one of five "top marksmen" stood on the causeway, between the sailing lake and fishing lake, which was then collected by their dog swimming out. :-C

Being left more than a little dumbstruck, I didn't think to get any number plates along Gailey Lea Lane, but there were plenty of cars around.

I know enough about the real world to realise that country pursuits happen, bagging one for the pot for Pheasants, Rabbits and the like. But an Oystercatcher, really?

And considering that one, maybe two, Schedule 1 species protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 are present (definitely the Diver, the Egret should be added if it already isn't), then I'd be rather concerned for their welfare.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 12
Great White Egret at the second attempt today.

Shortly afterwards, sadly I had to witness the Oystercatcher being shot by one of five "top marksmen" stood on the causeway, between the sailing lake and fishing lake, which was then collected by their dog swimming out. :-C

Being left more than a little dumbstruck, I didn't think to get any number plates along Gailey Lea Lane, but there were plenty of cars around.

I know enough about the real world to realise that country pursuits happen, bagging one for the pot for Pheasants, Rabbits and the like. But an Oystercatcher, really?

And considering that one, maybe two, Schedule 1 species protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 are present (definitely the Diver, the Egret should be added if it already isn't), then I'd be rather concerned for their welfare.

Doesn't surprise me at all, Richard - they are a complete bunch of w*nkers the lot of them! They don't know there arse from there elbows...they have shot Smew which survived but I've seen many ducks that haven't and also Goldeneye that have took up residency because of injury. Nothing is safe at Gailey with those nutters. Is shooting Oystercatcher legal?? :-C

I've never known it have so much coverage, it's got to the stage where there's almost always someone there.

There must have been well over 30 visitors at Gailey today! Just hope the extra coverage in the week will turn up another goodie when I can't get up with work and current daylight hours.

I knew these 'wildfowlers' were pretty gung-ho, but didn't realise they were this bad.

Lets just hope they shoot each other and a couple of these f*cking kn*bheads end up floating in the res! :C

It was a beautiful dawn at Gailey and pretty good morning with GWE, GN Diver, fem Goosander, 3 drk Goldeneye, 2 Raven, a good Linnet and Chaffinch flock, Redpoll etc etc. A real shame this has to be tarnished by the actions of these idiots.

Great roost(even though same birds as recent) at Chasewater this afternoon with brilliant light conditions and birds coming in early.

The large ad Caspian Gull was present from 14:50 showing really nicely in perfect light probably no more than 100 yds away. Shortly after, the juv Glauc was picked up at 15:20 and was regularly picked up till dusk. Finally, the ad Iceland came in from Stubbers to complete the set.

I wasn't sure how illegal it was either. I didn't really want to confront them, because they're the ones with guns.

Good work, Phil - I know Nick Pom views the thread regularly and will know who we can report this to. It's the same group that are always there so shouldn't be hard to track them down. I'll probably be there early in the morn, so if they are, I'll give them the good news they have broken the law...t*ats!

Oystercatcher Shooting Gailey

Note Shooting season link below Oystercatcher not present, so illegal

http://www.countryside-alliance.org/ca/article/game-seasons

You can contact Staffordshire Police they have a wildlife Liason officer.(Nick Pomianski should have the details).
Also contact the RSPB and local Police.
Note time of incident and witness Richard Powell.
You can put the authoritiees onto these people and hassle them.
Reminds me of the Prince Harrry shooting of Hen Harriers at Sandringham.
The result of this was no Hen Harrier bodies were found, that's because the Spaniels or labradors had picked them up and they were bagged, this is what has happened to the Oystercatcher (bagged and gone).
Hassle them with the authorities, they will think twice next time

Regards, John

I wasn't sure how illegal it was either. I didn't really want to confront them, because they're the ones with guns.

Richard,
Anyone with guns don't worry unless they are on a bank job then keep well away, these type at Gailey if they flash their guns about in a threatening manor then ring the police, they would be worried about loosing their Gun license.
However if you did not know if it is legal or not to shoot Oystercatcher, best to know before confrontation.
They must have permission to shoot here so now you can hassle them and those who gave them permission, let them know these shooting gang are shooting protected species. You could go to the local papers, would create alot of interest.

Regards, John

Hi all,
I have spoken to Kevin Clements this evening about this incident and he will be looking into all possibilities the Bird Club can do to sort these people out.
I spoke to an angler at Belvide last week who fishes Gailey and they are just as pissed off. More so as they fear for their safety.

I've passed the incident details to Kevin too. :t:

Hi all,
I have spoken to Kevin Clements this evening about this incident and he will be looking into all possibilities the Bird Club can do to sort these people out.
I spoke to an angler at Belvide last week who fishes Gailey and they are just as pissed off. More so as they fear for their safety.

Richard,
Anyone with guns don't worry unless they are on a bank job then keep well away, these type at Gailey if they flash their guns about in a threatening manor then ring the police, they would be worried about loosing their Gun license.
However if you did not know if it is legal or not to shoot Oystercatcher, best to know before confrontation.
They must have permission to shoot here so now you can hassle them and those who gave them permission, let them know these shooting gang are shooting protected species. You could go to the local papers, would create alot of interest.

Regards, John

If they do have permission to shoot then who would have given it to them?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back