• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (4 Viewers)

I've haven't done the sums for 2011 but for 2012 there were 117,000 records for Staffs of which 107,000 were via Birdtrack. So maybe the WMBC total is nearer 400,000. For 2013 there are around 90,000 records on Birdtrack for Staffs.

So thanks to everyone who contributed, particularly via Birdtrack (which makes my life easier as I don't have to input them into the county database!) There's even a Birdtrack App now which you can use via your phone which uses the phone GPS to record where you are. If you're not using Birdtrack, please consider using it for 2014.

Cheers, Nick

Thanks Keith but my job is "easy" compared to that of the county recorders! We had 980 contributors to the 2011 report - a mountain of records to sift through. Well done Nick and Co:t:

Last edited:
News for the 18th Jan

Drake Lesser Scaup - still Tittesworth from main car park
Glossy Ibis - Chasewater early am and roosted at 4pm also off Engine Lane, Brownhills during the day
Great White Egret & Juv Great Northern Diver - again Gailey
Great Grey Shrike - again Cannock Chase near trig point
Juv Great Northern Diver - Blithfield at deep end also Scaup in Tad bay
2w male Hen Harrier - again Swallow Moss roost
Juv Glaucous & 3 Caspian (2ad+3w) Gull - Chasewater roost
1w Long-tailed Duck & 4 x 1w Scaup - Belvide

Further to the shooting of an Oystercatcher at Gailey Reservoirs on 11th January 2014, the West Midland Bird Club is very concerned about the killing of a protected species, the risks posed to other species and the health and safety of visitors.

We shall be raising these issues in the strongest possible terms with the landowner and other relevant agencies.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

The shooters were again at Gailey yesterday afternoon. Whilst they had little to shoot, they still managed to kill 3 Tufted Ducks.

Despite their activity being mainly confined to the causeway, I was concerned to see one of them along the A5 side of the Sailing Lake by the outflow shooting low across the water. He was doing this in order to flush birds towards the causeway.

I am not sure if there is anything agreed regarding to where they can shoot from?

News for the 19th Jan

Drake Lesser Scaup - Tittesworth still
Glossy Ibis - roosted at Chasewater again also at Engine Lane, Brownhills am only
Great White Egret & Juv Great Northern Diver - still Gailey
1w Long-tailed Duck, 4 x 1w Scaup & Mealy Redpoll - still Belvide
Long-tailed Duck briefly & redhead Smew - Alrewas Pits
1w Caspian & ad Med Gull - Chasewater roost
2w male Hen Harrier - again Swallow Moss roost

Hi Kevin,

The shooters were again at Gailey yesterday afternoon. Whilst they had little to shoot, they still managed to kill 3 Tufted Ducks.

Despite their activity being mainly confined to the causeway, I was concerned to see one of them along the A5 side of the Sailing Lake by the outflow shooting low across the water. He was doing this in order to flush birds towards the causeway.

I am not sure if there is anything agreed regarding to where they can shoot from?

Something isn't quite right about this. Shooting low across the water, shooting so close to a main road, shooting at a time when other activites are taking place, no signs up saying that shooting takes place. I think if this was legal the fishermen at least would have some knowledge as to who is giving them permission to shoot.
Ive seen gumnen shooting at Hill Ridware pool, and on the fields adjacent to Belvide, but there were no safety issues breached, unlike what appears to being going on at Gailey.

For gods sake if I was walking around in my camo with anything that looks like a gun the bloody cops would be there in a flash...can't believe this is still going on.

Before the Shrike appeared in the field near Hopwood I would park up and cross road in an army camo and a tripod under my arm and had a few visits from Police who drove past...stopped....watched...drove off ...turned ...stopped again and watched some more.
Also when getting some Owl pics in a country lane 2 cop cars appeared and did the watching again...I had had enough by then and went up and asked if they wanted something...they thought I was weird anyway so getting Owl pics did not alter there thinking.

A visit from police should surely shed some light on the legitimacy on this occasion as well.

Keith:t:

It is against the law, in England and Wales, to fire an air rifle within 50 feet of the centre of a highway if this results in someone being injured, interrupted or endangered. These offences could be committed, for example, when someone is shooting in their garden close to a road and the pellets ricochet onto the highway.

It is against the law, in England and Wales, to fire an air rifle within 50 feet of the centre of a highway if this results in someone being injured, interrupted or endangered. These offences could be committed, for example, when someone is shooting in their garden close to a road and the pellets ricochet onto the highway.

The same applies for Shotguns according to the BASC. Shotguns should not be discharged near members of the public if causing hindrance, interruption or alarm.Shotguns should not be fired from a permissive area over adjoining land where permission has not been granted if pellets go into adjoining land, the same illegality applies ( had this at Belvide, where I had to inform the neighbouring farmer that pellets were going into the car park woodland)

The inland Wildfowling season finishes on Jan 31st.

Cheers

Rob

Can anyone help out with exactly where Tig point/Warrens Parr is on Cannock chase please.
Thanks

Is that meant to be Trig. point. If it is, I usually park on the opposite side of Sherbrook valley near the Katyn memorial, walk down into the valley, and up the opposite side towards the shooting butts and the trig poit is up that way.
However there are parking areas closer to the Trig point on that side of the valley.

Can anyone help out with exactly where Tig point/Warrens Parr is on Cannock chase please.
Thanks

I have wondered this as well......I know the area around Fredas grave and teh road down to Brocton...is it anywhere near there...

Keith :t:

are there any landmarks/names on the map to help us please.

Attachments

• Trig.jpg
    Trig.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 12
image.jpg

I had to find it the hard way. Bought a map, got lost and a very nice lady with a horse who also happened to be a birder showed me a few of the main areas. Attached screenshot shows Trig point. Closest car park is Rifle Range Corner off Penkridge Bank. Just leave the car park to the left and immediately turn right (north) and you'll hit trig point to the left in about 5 minutes.

Damian

Hat-trick !

Hi All

I set out mid-morning today to try and see the current South Staffs area (ie including Olde Staffs) 'trio' of very decent birds ... Glossy Ibis, Great Northern Diver and Great White Egret... and managed it by the skin of my teeth !
As soon as I clapped eyes on the Glossy Ibis over in the distance in the second horse paddock at Brownhills, it flew off ... to the disappointment of one or two other birders still arriving at Engine Lane. Of the assembled group of around half a dozen or so, we guessed that Clayhanger Marsh or Goscote was tapped into it's sat-nav and, having already seen this bird at very close quarters both at Pelsall and Brownhills, I was not alone in heading on to Gailey.
The Great Northern Diver was showing quite well, but seeemed to be spending much longer periods of time underwater than most GNDs, as others have found previously ... and by early afternoon it began moving steadily over to the far side of the sailing lake, where it preened, loafed - and made viewing difficult.
There was still no sighting of the Great White Egretat that point, but eagle-eyed Bob Duckhouse spotted the bird in the reeds along the lane-side of the fishing lake. Well done that man !
And as I left, another birder had seen a Scaup, juvenile/female, across the other side too.

PS There was no sign back at Brownhills of the Ibis, as I and one or two others stopped of there approaching mid-afternoon. Good birding nevertheless.
Couple of heavily cropped digiscoped record-shots here from Gailey, not great, as both birds were at least 150 metres away.

Cheers

Andy R.

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 31
View attachment 480684

I had to find it the hard way. Bought a map, got lost and a very nice lady with a horse who also happened to be a birder showed me a few of the main areas. Attached screenshot shows Trig point. Closest car park is Rifle Range Corner off Penkridge Bank. Just leave the car park to the left and immediately turn right (north) and you'll hit trig point to the left in about 5 minutes.

Damian

Thanks Damien...I think a lot of people will find the info of benefit....

I am too old to be able to scour all of the chase so tapping in to local knowledge is brilliant.

Thanks Damien...I think a lot of people will find the info of benefit....

I am too old to be able to scour all of the chase so tapping in to local knowledge is brilliant.

As you look at the map the Sherbrook valley is just to the left of the marker. In fact if you stand on the top of Sherbrook valley near the Katyn or Glacial boulder and look across you might be able to see the trig. point through your bins.

Extra News for the 21st Jan

Drake Lesser Scaup - still Tittesworth off the causeway
Glossy Ibis - roosted Chasewater also adult Iceland Gull
Juv Glaucous Gull, 1w Long-tailed Duck & 8 x 1w Scaup - Belvide
20 Crossbill - Parr's Warren

News for the 22nd Jan

drake Lesser Scaup - still Tittesworth
Glossy Ibis - still Brownhills in 1st paddock north of Engine Lane
adult Caspian Gull, 1w Long-tailed Duck, 8 x 1w Scaup & Mealy Redpoll - Belvide

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back