• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (8 Viewers)

Sounds like an interesting bird! Found that the Belvide Female Yank Wigeon was quite easy once you 'had your eye in'...but it did take two weeks to nail the white auxiliaries. I guess, if this bird is shadowing a drake head pattern, that it could be a 1st summer male. Ruling out a hybrid Yank with either Wigeon or Chiloe or any combo of the 3 would be the first challenge! Photo or video of the underwings would obviously be useful. A few new yanks about at the moment, obviously pushing north after successfully overwintering on the continent.

Extra News for the 7th May

Little Stint, Wood Sand, Barwit & Avocet - Drayton Bassett Pits on North Pit or Jubilee Wetlands
Wood Sand - Doxey Marshes from tin hide
1s fem Velvet Scoter - still Belvide

Have the Aqualate Cranes been seen or heard anywhere else in the area since Sunday? When I was on the car park at Belvide tonight I could have swore I heard a Crane calling in the distance to the south, seriously.

Have the Aqualate Cranes been seen or heard anywhere else in the area since Sunday? When I was on the car park at Belvide tonight I could have swore I heard a Crane calling in the distance to the south, seriously.

Did it sound like a wild call or a plastic reintroduction call? ;)

A pair were at Wall Farm NR in Shropshire on Monday morning. Also from the release scheme, but I understand they are different to the birds that were over Aqualate. Different ring combinations you see.

Don't suppose the Wigeon looked anything like this one? What looked like a hybrid from Fen Drayton

View attachment 495745

Hi Craig,
Picture not so good, however the head pattern on the Middleton bird with eye patch was more distinct.
We will have to see if Geoff can contact those people he see's regulary at middleton lakes who reported American Wigeon North pit and showed Geoff a picture on their camera screen.

John

I was noticing a Green sheen to the Crown markings, however the 3 others in the hide did not notice this saying the crown markings looked dark, looking on the Birdguides American Wigeon video the crown looks dark but has a green sheen.

When I went in the lookout hide this morning two birders who are fairly regular at Midd Lakes but I don't know their names, showed me some photos of the possible American Wigeon they'd just seen. I couldn't be sure if that is what it was. Perhaps if they read this they could put the pictures on here.

Hi Geoff,
I have been contacted by the person who you spoke to and took the picture, it has been forwarded to myself. He told you he thought it was a Chiloe Wigeon and not an American Wigeon. Chiloe Wigeon m and f have white face patch but this bird does not, but has features of Chiloe Wigeon will post at a later time.

Hi Geoff,
I have been contacted by the person who you spoke to and took the picture, it has been forwarded to myself. He told you he thought it was a Chiloe Wigeon and not an American Wigeon. Chiloe Wigeon m and f have white face patch but this bird does not, but has features of Chiloe Wigeon will post at a later time.

On the Bird I.D questions and answers thread

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=282300

After all the excitement and palpitations at Aqualate on Sunday afternoon, I wondered if this was going to happen.

http://www.thegreatcraneproject.org.uk/blogs/damon-bridge/manfred-takes-trip

Turns out that one of the Aqualate Cranes is a released bird from the Great Crane Project in Slimbridge/Somerset. Goes by the name of Manfred, which is a cracking name for a Crane.

I'm sure some die-hard listers will decry this, but I don't mind, much. As long as I can still have my initials in the annual report 3:).

Still a great find mate and worth it for the chance to use the headline
'' The Great Crane Robbery '' - brilliant:-O

News for the 9th May

Wood Sand & 3 Sanderling - Drayton Bassett Pits on Jubilee Wetlands
Wood Sand - Doxey Marshes from the tin hide
Barwit - Branston Pits
1s fem Velvet Scoter - still Belvide also fem Garganey

News for the 10th May

summ plum Spotted Redshank, Wood Sand, 2 Turnstone & 1s Med Gull - Drayton Bassett Pits on Jubilee Wetlands
Bar-tailed Godwit - still Branston Pits
1s fem Velvet Scoter - still Belvide

The recent possible first summer male American Wigeon has proven to a female Eurasian Wigeon (or hybrid). See here for discussion and picture.

People offer their advice on Birdforum Questions and answers thread some of it is good advice other times it's incorrect.
It is a matter for the Staffordshire County recorder and his rarity comittee only.

John,

If the underwing coverts were not seen, I cannot see how it will be accepted.

The underwing were not seen, however Collins guide saying Wigeon underwing can appear white, so this feature can only be taken along with other features. Many American Wigeon females are very similiar to female Wigeon this bird had a particulary strong head pattern.
The decision is the County Recorders only.

The underwing were not seen, however Collins guide saying Wigeon underwing can appear white, so this feature can only be taken along with other features. Many American Wigeon females are very similiar to female Wigeon this bird had a particulary strong head pattern.
The decision is the County Recorders only.

The easiest decision the Staffs rarities committee will ever have to make:-C

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back