• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (3 Viewers)

On Twitter at the moment......Staffs fire crews at Hilton Park services on the M6 trying to release an 'eagle' that has become trapped in a pigeon net. Any ideas?

Probably one of those Buzzard-Eagles that only exist to the general public and The Daily Mail...

News for the 3rd May

Possible Black Kite - SE over Iverley at 12.30
Black Redstart - still Silverdale at The Void
Bar-tailed Godwit - Tittesworth
2 Turnstone, Black & Arctic Tern, fem Velvet Scoter - Belvide
Ring Ouzel - still Berry Hill Fields
2 Whimbrel - north over Gailey at 09.30
Osprey - Blithfield

Hoopoe - Dilhorne

Some shots of the Hoopoe seen at Dilhorne by C. Goodwin on 21/4/15

Cheers, Nick

Attachments

• DSCN1861(2).jpg
    DSCN1861(2).jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN1856(2).jpg
    DSCN1856(2).jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 14
News for the 16th May

Wood Sand, pr Garganey & Little Gull - Middleton Lakes RSPB
2 Turnstone - Blithfield in Portfields bay
2 Arctic Tern - Belvide

News for the 18th May

4 Turnstone & 3 Arctic Tern - Blithfield
3 Sanderling & Turnstone - Belvide

The Great Reed Warbler at Sandwell Valley on Swan Pool is within the boundary of Olde Staffs (pre-1974) but, to keep the northerners happy, you can find all the info on the West Midlands section! ;)

News for the 18th May

The Great Reed Warbler at Sandwell Valley on Swan Pool is within the boundary of Olde Staffs (pre-1974) but, to keep the northerners happy, you can find all the info on the West Midlands section! ;)

You made this Northerner Very Happy when you & Stevo found the last Great Reed in proper Staffs:-O:-O:-O:-O

You made this Northerner Very Happy when you & Stevo found the last Great Reed in proper Staffs:-O:-O:-O:-O

Yeh I certainly enjoyed that one, Phil. Never forget the look on The Snappers face when we both said "That sounded like a Great Reed!". Along with the female American Wigeon (with Mr Belvide), my favourite finds in Staffs so far.

News for the 20th May

Turnstone - Blithfield
2 Sanderling - Belvide

Yeh I certainly enjoyed that one, Phil. Never forget the look on The Snappers face when we both said "That sounded like a Great Reed!". Along with the female American Wigeon (with Mr Belvide), my favourite finds in Staffs so far.

News for the 20th May

Turnstone - Blithfield
2 Sanderling - Belvide

Doesn't the first successful breeding of Avocet in Staffs count as news 8-P

(at Middleton RSPB by the way!)

News for the 29th May

Black-necked Grebe, 6 Sanderling & Arctic Tern - Belvide
6 Sanderling - Middleton Lakes on north pit
Sanderling - Croxden Quarry

News for the 15th June

Adult summer White-winged Black Tern - Blithfield in Blithe bay
Honey Buzzard - SW of Stourbridge flew east over Iverley also Quail still singing opp Sugar Loaf farm in hay field
Black-necked Grebe - Belvide in Gazebo bay

A good day in Staffs, especially for mid-June when it's supposed to be all quiet!

Does anyone know who saw the Black Stork circling over junction 11 of the M6 on the 10th June? Shame it didn't stick around in the county but maybe next time...

Last edited:
Well the 15th was good but the 16th not far behind - is it really mid-June??

News for 16th Jun

Night Heron - flew over Dimmingsdale Pool, Lower Penn at 14.30
Ad fem Long-tailed Duck - Gailey on the sailing lake
Black-necked Grebe & 1s Med Gull - Belvide

Another fruitless search for the night heron at Sankeys pool Lower Penn. I gather theres still no info on the only sighting on Tuesday. Spoke to a fisherman on Tuesday evening who said he had it flying south? but I doubt he saw the same bird.

Hi all

I was given some directions for the Quail at Whittington and had a look last night but couldn't find the spot as described.
Could someone please pm me?
Thanks

Sean

Another fruitless search for the night heron at Sankeys pool Lower Penn. I gather theres still no info on the only sighting on Tuesday. Spoke to a fisherman on Tuesday evening who said he had it flying south? but I doubt he saw the same bird.

Yes I did a few searches and didn't see it, Geoff. I some to several fishermen who, surprisingly for fishermen, said they hadn't seen it! They were more interested in trying to catch the 100lb Pike...;)

News for the 26th June

Little Tern & Little Stint - Belvide
10 Crossbill - over Iverley at 07.25

So, another Little Tern hits the res and misses Gailey - when will it finally get it's first record!?

Last edited:
News for the 27th June

Bee-eater - flew west over Uttoxeter Quarry at 14.20 calling

A much sort after Staffs Mega with no twitchable birds to date and this one appears to have followed the trend...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back