• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Warwickshire (3 Viewers)

24/04 09:26 WEST MIDLANDS : Black-necked Grebe, Sutton Coldfield [A] one on the second pit back from the bridleway along Senneys Lane, Marston; also 2 Black-tailed Godwits and Grasshopper Warbler. Park along old Kingbury Road and keep to public rights of way

Birdguides report- Marston gp's again, in Warwickshire same site as yesterday's Bar-tailed Godwit.
Obviously birders have been focusing on the main areas of the Tame Valley and not the smaller areas.

Regards, John

24/04 09:26 WEST MIDLANDS : Black-necked Grebe, Sutton Coldfield [A] one on the second pit back from the bridleway along Senneys Lane, Marston; also 2 Black-tailed Godwits and Grasshopper Warbler. Park along old Kingbury Road and keep to public rights of way

Birdguides report- Marston gp's again, in Warwickshire same site as yesterday's Bar-tailed Godwit.
Obviously birders have been focusing on the main areas of the Tame Valley and not the smaller areas.

Regards, John

http://tamevalleybirding.blogspot.co.uk/

Marston Gravel pits are at SP20264 94870

Just West of Marston village and in Warwickshire, easy to check if visting Middleton lakes, Wheatear and Black Tern have been reported in the past, with this dry spell obviously there is some mud showing.

These pits appear to be part of Marston Fields Farm, which would explain Alan's choice of name. Perhaps trying to avoid confusion with the former pits along nearby Haunch Lane?
Matt

Hi Matt,
The pits by Haunch lane are called Lea Marston lakes old quarry site, so no confusion there with Marston gravel pits.
By putting out Marston fields, from Shustoke Reservoir Bob Duckhouse and David Hutton and myself did not have much idea where it was.
If Marston Gravel pits were put out I would have known right away.

Regards, John

The usual progression of gravel pits is :-
Gravel pits are dug then they pick up the local name of the nearest village or Town, after gravel excavation is complete the name goes from gravel pits (short pits) to lake or water then some groups of lakes become a Water park.

Spotted Sandpiper

Spotted Sandpiper (found by Bob Hazell) today at Draycote along Draycote Bank near the Valve Tower.

Regards

John

Attachments

• Spotted_0103.jpg
    Spotted_0103.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Spotted_0120.jpg
    Spotted_0120.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Spotted_0113.jpg
    Spotted_0113.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Galley Common raptor?

Hi - rank amateur here. Saw a large brown raptor-like bird over field in Galley Common today. It was hovering very low, but as I was driving I couldn't get a pic. About the size of a buzzard, but under-wing plumage looked lighter and different pattern. Any ideas plse?

Last edited:
Hi - rank amateur here. Saw a large brown raptor-like bird over field in Galley Common today. It was hovering very low, but as I was driving I couldn't get a pic. About the size of a buzzard, but under-wing plumage looked lighter and different pattern. Any ideas plse?

Buzzards come in lots of shades and colours.
Chris

Night Heron at Seeswood Pool for its second day - any advice about this location? Is there a path around or is the bird only viewable from the road?

Last edited:
Night Heron at Seeswood Pool for its second day - any advice about the location? Is there a path around or is the bird only viewable from the road?

Hi Phil

There is some limited space along the road near the southern end. Go over the gate and then walk clockwise round the edge on an obvious track. The bird favours the willows on the opposite side before you get to the point. I think officially its anglers only but they seemed ok yesterday and were keen to talk about it being there for a couple of days before.

Regards

John

Night Heron still present this afternoon & showed well for a while!! (Should be some nice photos from Paul Lathbury later) Phil will put news out as early as possible Sat morning & Sun if local....

Dave

Attachments

• _M1Z7603_1-copy.jpg
    _M1Z7603_1-copy.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Dennis Woodward told me today that a fisherman tried to throw him off site today at Seeswood Pool while trying to see the Night Heron.

Mike.

All the Anglers were ok with me on Saturday. What was their objection to Dennis?

John

Dennis Woodward told me today that a fisherman tried to throw him off site today at Seeswood Pool while trying to see the Night Heron.

Mike.

Just been Dennis.

Years ago (Back in the 80's Arbury estates posted signs saying it wasn't a dedicated footpath & the owners didn't wish it to be!! The fact is there has been an established footpath way back & 2 of those are now under water!! That fisherman spouting off needs politely telling that his permit allows him to fish the pool not police the outer edge!! Most of the lads are fine just some silly duffer who thinks that the pool is for his use only!! Might have to raise this with the Seeswood group & have a mass protest & walk (500+ members) 8-P

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back