• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Warwickshire (1 Viewer)

I am a member of the Birmingham and the Black Country Wildlife Trust and have a card which entitles you to visit almost all the WT reserves in the country except the ones in Norfolk, however I've not used it yet and don't know about Whitacre Heath's combination lock. Perhaps you have to get in touch with the Warks Trust or check out their website.

You will probably find that the combi lock is broken & that the lock is only closed to or the chain is wrapped around the post on closer inspection??

Charlecote

At Charlecote yesterday, I met two birders who'd taken photos of the interesting Tufted Duck / hybrid present. When seen in better light, I thought the back had some greyishness in it, and am interested in seeing photos if possible. Thanks.
Matt

The Draycote Scaups

Nice to see a drake Scaup arriving off Hensborough Bank and joining the long staying female.

Attachments

• IMG_6319.JPG
    IMG_6319.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6414.JPG
    IMG_6414.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6424.JPG
    IMG_6424.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6477.JPG
    IMG_6477.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6447.JPG
    IMG_6447.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 43
I received a phone call yesterday at 3.30pm today whilst I was at work alerting me to 40+ Waxwings on the Belgrave Road / Clifford Bridge Road junction in Coventry.

I was just leaving work in Leamington and was there by 4.15pm but they had gone but apparently they returned again at 4.40pm.

I went out in torrential rain this morning after a call from a mate telling me that the 40 plus Waxwings had returned to Belgrave Road this morning.

I got there and the flock had grown to 70+ then within thirty minutes it was over 160. The conditions were terrible, torrential rain and a black sky, not conducive to good photography.

I have attached some images of a few I took, plus a Redwing that dropped into the bush at the same time. There is also an image of about 135 of them, the other 25+ were in another tree about fifty yards away.

If the weather brightens up this afternoon I might go back up there to see if I can get some decent shots.

Attachments

• Waxwing 0892.jpg
    Waxwing 0892.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Waxwing 0922.jpg
    Waxwing 0922.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Waxwing 0923.jpg
    Waxwing 0923.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Redwing 0902.jpg
    Redwing 0902.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 43
Hi Kevin

If you do go they are getting on the berries by the side of the bus shelter near the traffic lights. They are very, very flighty though and don't settle for much longer than about 5 seconds.

John

Well done, John - I'd be well pleased with those images, especially on a day like today. May give it a try tomorrow if better weather.

Hi Kevin

If you do go they are getting on the berries by the side of the bus shelter near the traffic lights. They are very, very flighty though and don't settle for much longer than about 5 seconds.

John

70+ Waxwing this morning from about 0830 but very mobile and eventually disappearing. A small group of 20+ returned late morning but did not stay.

60 came up on the pager at 2pm but Martin (Hummerman) and I got there about 2.20pm and they had gone. We waited for a while but but they didn't return.

There was a chap that had been there for two & a half hours in the morning without seeing any and arrived back for a second stint at just after 2pm and just missed them, ouch!!

John

70+ Waxwing this morning from about 0830 but very mobile and eventually disappearing. A small group of 20+ returned late morning but did not stay.

Mobile Phone

Apologies but not a rare or scarce bird but to inform local birders that my mobile contact has temporarily changed to my old number 07931 635242. Some numbers are stored on here but probably not all so if I need to put out or receive news, some may be missed, for which I apologise. I will advise when things return to normal.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thought i might inform you that some people in our car load traveling back from Chipping Norton yesterday saw a Common Crane in fields near Stretton under Fosse yesterday afternoon, it was seen from moving car on M6.

Thanks

Mike

Hi,

Thought i might inform you that some people in our car load traveling back from Chipping Norton yesterday saw a Common Crane in fields near Stretton under Fosse yesterday afternoon, it was seen from moving car on M6.

Thanks

Mike

Travel that way regularly. Will keep an eye open. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back