• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recent Khao Sok sightings (1 Viewer)

paddleasia

Birding in Southern Thailand since Feb '93 - http:
In addition to seeing wild elephants, gibbons, langurs, macaques and other animals, we were treated to seeing a lone White-crowned Hornbill and three Helmeted Hornbills in Khao Sok recently. As far as raptors, we saw Black-thighed Falconets, an Oriental Hobby, a couple of Wallace's Hawk-Eagles, Lesser Fish-Eagles and the usual Grey-headed Fish-Eagle. The Grey-headed is easy to see and diagnose if you know where to look.

Helmeted Hornbills are fairly easy to see in certain locations on the reservoir. The White-crowned seems to be less common, though we see them at least a couple times per year.

There is one particular area where we regularly hear a Great Argus calling. I think it's time to dedicate some energy into actually seeing one of them... soon.

You can see the list of birds we saw at http://thailandbirding.com/recent-birds.htm

Yesterday I was treated to seeing a Blue-winged Pitta fairly close-up while mountain biking near Tung Maphrao in Phang Nga Province. We hear them all the time. They are very, very common in this province.

Good luck with the Argus. Easy to hear, but a real %^$U@## to see.

Hi Hanno,

Do you have any suggestions on how best to go about spotting the Argus? I'm thinking that we could walk around the jungle and look for areas where the male has scratched the ground. I hear that they make rather large circles on the ground.

I'm not overly interested in sitting in a hide forever or walking around with fingers crossed. |8)|

Dave, I have only seen them at the leks. The circles are indeed pretty big with nary a loose leaf in them. I think the best way is indeed finding a lek and staking it out (still might mean hanging around forever).

Dave, I have only seen them at the leks. The circles are indeed pretty big with nary a loose leaf in them. I think the best way is indeed finding a lek and staking it out (still might mean hanging around forever).

Ah, so you've seen one in the wild? Do you know what time of the year they would produce this 'lek'? I'm guessing I might be too late for this season.

How big is the lek (diameter)?

Actually I just realized that "Lek" is probably the wrong word, more like dancing grounds. They are pretty big, the birds aren't small after all, I would guess around 5 meters across.

I think you might be right that it may be a bit late in the year. On the other hand if they are still calling... I thought I read somewhere that they usually call from near their dancing grounds.

OK, went back home and took a look at the excellent "The Birds of the Thai-Malay Peninsula". Excerpts:

The court is often at a traditional site on an old game trail or where ground-layer vegetation is otherwise naturally sparse. typically on a spur or ridge-crest.
Court area is ultimately limited by space available but is rarely below about 12m2 and one ... example... covered 72m2.

Breeding seasonality:

The season over which males short-call from display-courts varies year to year, starting between January and March and ending between July and September, unusually as late as November.

Which means you need to get out there:)

I heard a Great Argus calling from close to the trail at Krung Ching in April. I was with my wife who wasn't keen on bashing through the forest but if I had been alone I think there would have been a good chance of finding it. Like many southern birds, I think Krung Ching would give a better chance than many other places.

Great Argus are much easier to see in Malaysia - I've seen them at both Taman Negara NP and at Danum Valley (Borneo Rainforest Lodge) without much effort.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back