• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

recent splits? (1 Viewer)

Ficedula

velico ergo sum
just got my copy of Garrigues & Dean 2007 in preparatin for a trip to CR in March.

wondered if anyone knows of any splits or other taxonomic changes of interest since publication. also any generally accepted taxonomic changes that Garrigues & Dean 2007 either overlooked or did not accept.

i have noticed a couple of potential splits

Emerald Toucanet Aulacorhynchus prasinus --> Blue-throated Toucanet Aulacorhynchus caeruleogularis
House Wren, Troglodytes aedon --> Southern House Wren, Troglodytes musculus

how accepted are these two?

Someone else with more authority may need to chime in.

However, I didn't think Southern House Wren was split as a full species... yet. Wikipedia isn't up to date if it has been split. It's a very muddy group. I'd hate to be on that committee.

I don't believe the AOU had made the toucanet official either. Unlike the wren, however, Blue-throated Toucanet has just been presumed by me as a separate species since about 2008. I keep it as a separate species now on my personal list. The Auk abstract describing it is online.

http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1525/auk.2008.125.1.39

The way I handle these is if I think something is going to be split, and I have a chance to see one of the splits, I play close attention to whatever field characteristic that is defining the new split. That way, when it finally gets split, I can say with some authority which bird I've seen. Some, of course, are nearly impossible to separate but I do the best I can.

A few birds have been suspect for awhile in CR, especially with hummingbirds, but I'm not sure there's been much that's relevant in his book except for some name changes.

Last edited:
The way I handle these is if I think something is going to be split, and I have a chance to see one of the splits, I play close attention to whatever field characteristic that is defining the new split. That way, when it finally gets split, I can say with some authority which bird I've seen.

thanks JJP, exactly my thinking too, always worth being aware of any potential split, even the very unlikely ones.

thanks JJP, exactly my thinking too, always worth being aware of any potential split, even the very unlikely ones.

The BTTO has no intergrade(s), so if it gets split, there's no other subspecies in Costa Rica to confuse it with.

The wren may be another matter... the genetic variation makes my head hurt and I doubt there's much physical difference between the groups.

wondered if anyone knows of any splits or other taxonomic changes of interest since publication. also any generally accepted taxonomic changes that Garrigues & Dean 2007 either overlooked or did not accept.
The newly published The Birds of Panama: A Field Guide is another Dean collaboration from Comstock's Zona Tropical series, this time with George Angehr. The product description found at Amazon includes this: "an up-to-date species list for the country that reflects recent additions, taxonomic splits, and other changes in classification". It was just released Friday (December 24) and I have not yest received mine, but I suspect it will prove of some value in Costa Rica.

Gary Hunter

House Wren sure is a taxonomic headache! I think all House Wrens in CR are of the same subspecies in any case and you will surely see a few if the taxon ever becomes soundly classified.

As for Blue-throated Toucanet, the IOC accepts it but the AOU doesnt. Same goes for the Blue-diademed Motmot being split from the Blue-crowned Motmot.

Here are my thoughts regarding other potential future splits based upon ongoing studies as well the observations of myself and others:

Mangrove Black Hawk- either a subspecies of or Common Black Hawk or not even a valid taxon.

Although Crested and Spot-bellied Bobwhites have been lumped, maybe they will be split again some day.

Great Black Hawk- Central American birds (and possible Northern South America) are very likely a different species from Amazonian birds.

White Hawk- Same situation as Great Black Hawk. They are more closely related to Gray-backed Hawk than Amazonian White Hawks.

Violaceous Trogons in Costa Rica are now Gartered Trogon (accepted by both AOU and IOC).

Collared Trogon- birds from Central America could end up being split from Amazonian taxa. Maybe not but their songs are quite different.

Buff-throated Foliage-gleaner- Central American birds are almost certainly a different species from Amazonian birds (song is very different).

Striped Woodhaunter- Recognized as Western Woodhaunter by IOC but not by AOU.

Tawny-throated Leaftosser- this could be split into several species at some future time so a good idea to note where one sees them.

Long-tailed Woodcreeper- this taxon in Costa Rica is probably more closely related to Spot-throated Woodcreeper of northern Amazonia or may even be its own species. It is not the same as Long-tailed Woodcreeper in Amazonia (differs in morphology and vocalizations).

Olivaceous Woodcreeper- like the Tawny-throated Leaftosser, likely made up of several species so always note where one sees them.

Ochre-breasted Antpitta- could be the same as South American birds but maybe not!

Black-faced Antthrush- Likely split from Mexican and Amazonian birds (IOC recognized Mexican taxon as separate species).

White-throated Spadebill- Central American birds could end up being different than Andean birds.

Lesser Elaenia-Central American birds could end up being different than South American birds.

Royal Flycatcher- CR birds are Northern Royal Flycatcher according to IOC but not AOU.

Tufted Flycatcher- Central American birds could end up being different than South American birds.

Social Flycatchers sound different on the south Pacific slope from other parts of their range but that doesnt necessarily indicate that they are separate species.

Rufous-capped Warbler- Could be split from birds in Mexico.

Hepatic Tanager- CR birds are recognized as Tooth-billed Tanager by IOC but not by AOU.

Olive Tanager- split from Olive and called "Carmiol's Tanager" by both AOU and IOC.

Prevost's Ground Sparrow- Recognized by IOC as Cabanis' Ground Sparrow but not by AOU.

Patrick hit most potential splits, but one additional is yellow-olive flycatcher. There are several potential splits being discussed there, too.

Yes, good that Jeff mentioned Yellow-Olive Flycatcher.

I somehow neglected to mention the infamous Tolmomyias taxa- Yellow-olive is long overdue for a taxonomic overhaul and Yellow-margined is split into two species by some authorities (recognized by IOC) with Zimmer's Flatbill (Flycatcher) in Amazonia and Yellow-margined Flatbill (Flycatcher) west of the Andes and in Central America.

I have no knowledge of anyone working on this, but I would notice if the variable seed eater is Caribbean (black) or Pacific (more similar to a number of other species)

Niels

The newly published The Birds of Panama: A Field Guide is another Dean collaboration from Comstock's Zona Tropical series, this time with George Angehr. The product description found at Amazon includes this: "an up-to-date species list for the country that reflects recent additions, taxonomic splits, and other changes in classification". It was just released Friday (December 24) and I have not yest received mine, but I suspect it will prove of some value in Costa Rica.

Received my copy of the Angehr/Dean Birds of Panama. Undoubtedly of value to anyone planning a birding trip to Panama, but I'm not inclined to bring it for birding in Costa Rica. With very few exceptions, Dean's artwork for the birds shared with CR seems to duplicate the portrayals found in Garrigues/Dean, the ID text often covers the same points made in the CR work, and the distribution information is of course limited to Panama. I will note that the plates seem to be a bit brighter and the colors richer than in my copy of Garrigues/Dean (which may have been subject to fading). It does seem to be reasonably up-to-date taxonomically, though I haven't yet compared it with Patrick's summary of changes.

Received my copy of the Angehr/Dean Birds of Panama. Undoubtedly of value to anyone planning a birding trip to Panama, but I'm not inclined to bring it for birding in Costa Rica. With very few exceptions, Dean's artwork for the birds shared with CR seems to duplicate the portrayals found in Garrigues/Dean, the ID text often covers the same points made in the CR work, and the distribution information is of course limited to Panama. I will note that the plates seem to be a bit brighter and the colors richer than in my copy of Garrigues/Dean (which may have been subject to fading). It does seem to be reasonably up-to-date taxonomically, though I haven't yet compared it with Patrick's summary of changes.

Thanks for the summary.

Thanks for the info on the new book. I haven't been able to get it here in the UK. I'm off to Costa Rica and Panama next week for 10 weeks - my first trip to the region. I have Garrigues and Dean of course. Do you think I should bring my Ridgeley and Gwynne, or pick up a copy of Angehr and Dean in Panama?
Des

Do you think I should bring my Ridgeley and Gwynne, or pick up a copy of Angehr and Dean in Panama?

Des: If you can pack Ridgely & Gwynne, I can't imagine NOT taking it (if only as an additional, more detailed reference after a day in the field). But then again, I bring a modified copy of Stiles & Skutch on every trip I make to CR (the plates bound separately for use in the field, the text for reference in my hotel room). I'm a bit compulsive about books, and would never have done that to my good copy (which stays on my library bookshelf); I bought a used copy on Amazon and took it to a local copy/print shop to separate and re-bind with spiral coils.

Good luck on an ambitious trip. Look forward to the post-trip report.

Thanks gdhunter. It is a backpacking, public transport trip so I am concerned about the weight, but I will take it. I am sure i will be back on these forums before the trip is over...
Des

House Wren sure is a taxonomic headache! I think all House Wrens in CR are of the same subspecies in any case and you will surely see a few if the taxon ever becomes soundly classified.

As for Blue-throated Toucanet, the IOC accepts it but the AOU doesnt. Same goes for the Blue-diademed Motmot being split from the Blue-crowned Motmot.

Here are my thoughts regarding other potential future splits based upon ongoing studies as well the observations of myself and others:

Mangrove Black Hawk- either a subspecies of or Common Black Hawk or not even a valid taxon.

Although Crested and Spot-bellied Bobwhites have been lumped, maybe they will be split again some day.

Great Black Hawk- Central American birds (and possible Northern South America) are very likely a different species from Amazonian birds.

White Hawk- Same situation as Great Black Hawk. They are more closely related to Gray-backed Hawk than Amazonian White Hawks.

Violaceous Trogons in Costa Rica are now Gartered Trogon (accepted by both AOU and IOC).

Collared Trogon- birds from Central America could end up being split from Amazonian taxa. Maybe not but their songs are quite different.

Buff-throated Foliage-gleaner- Central American birds are almost certainly a different species from Amazonian birds (song is very different).

Striped Woodhaunter- Recognized as Western Woodhaunter by IOC but not by AOU.

Tawny-throated Leaftosser- this could be split into several species at some future time so a good idea to note where one sees them.

Long-tailed Woodcreeper- this taxon in Costa Rica is probably more closely related to Spot-throated Woodcreeper of northern Amazonia or may even be its own species. It is not the same as Long-tailed Woodcreeper in Amazonia (differs in morphology and vocalizations).

Olivaceous Woodcreeper- like the Tawny-throated Leaftosser, likely made up of several species so always note where one sees them.

Ochre-breasted Antpitta- could be the same as South American birds but maybe not!

Black-faced Antthrush- Likely split from Mexican and Amazonian birds (IOC recognized Mexican taxon as separate species).

White-throated Spadebill- Central American birds could end up being different than Andean birds.

Lesser Elaenia-Central American birds could end up being different than South American birds.

Royal Flycatcher- CR birds are Northern Royal Flycatcher according to IOC but not AOU.

Tufted Flycatcher- Central American birds could end up being different than South American birds.

Social Flycatchers sound different on the south Pacific slope from other parts of their range but that doesnt necessarily indicate that they are separate species.

Rufous-capped Warbler- Could be split from birds in Mexico.

Hepatic Tanager- CR birds are recognized as Tooth-billed Tanager by IOC but not by AOU.

Olive Tanager- split from Olive and called "Carmiol's Tanager" by both AOU and IOC.

Prevost's Ground Sparrow- Recognized by IOC as Cabanis' Ground Sparrow but not by AOU.

As an update, I recently found out that molecular studies indicate that Long-tailed Woodcreepers in Costa Rica (and Central America) are not closely related to Spot-throated Woodcreeper. They are sister to Amazonian Long-tailed Woodcreepers. Nevertheless, the very different song of Central American taxa indicates that they are very likely a separate species from Long-tailed Woodcreepers of Amazonia. It was actually the similarity between songs of Central American Long-tailed Woodcreepers and Spot-throated Woodcreepers that made several ornithologists suspect a close relationship between these two taxa (both give fast trills as opposed to the well spaced, descending notes of Amazonian Long-taileds).

I found this paper upon looking for more information about Long-tailed Woodcreepers after spending a morning at Carara the other day. Heard Long-tailed Woodcreepers a few times but couldn't get any recordings!

just got my copy of Garrigues & Dean 2007 in preparatin for a trip to CR in March.

wondered if anyone knows of any splits or other taxonomic changes of interest since publication.

Garrigues has at his website an updated list of CR birds per latest AOU update (as of this post list says it is updated as of July 26, 2011). (http://www.angelfire.com/bc/gonebirding/) Unfortunately though, it doesn't highlight the changes from the book. But I assume Patrick has brought our attention to most of the important changes. Thanks Patrick. (And to Richard Klim for highlighting this thread in another thread).

Jim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back