• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

recommend a model of binoc for a beginner (1 Viewer)

Nightwalker71

"Our task must be to free ourselves by widening ou
Hi all,
I am looking to invest in a pair of binoculars but beeing a complete novice I would like some advice and suggestions from those of you with the relevant experience.
As for price I dont have an unlimited budget but would like something that will last so quality and value for money are important.
I look forward to any comments/suggestions
Many thanks in advance

Darren

Hi Nightwalker,
Binocular buyers usually start with a versatile all purpose glass, maybe 7- 8 power and with 30-35mm ocular lenses, for a compact package that can serve in any situation, birding, sports, travel etc.
Your choices in that space are vast, from low cost Leupold Yosemites and Nikon Action Extremes at the low end to the Leica Ultravids and Zeiss FLs at the top. The Nikon Monarch line is a good mid price glass and many of the contributors here on BF have found the ZenRay range excellent value.
Do note that ratings are of limited use, binoculars are like glasses, each person has different eyes and what works for you may not work for the next person. There is no substitute for looking through the various binoculars with your own eyes before making a choice.
In general, binoculars tend to last for a very long time with any reasonable degree of care. In fact, getting loved to death with obsessive cleaning that destroys the lens coatings is probably the biggest risk for binoculars apart from damaging drops. So there are lots of bargains in the used binocular world, but as someone who just wants a good quality glass that works well, you're best served buying new.
Please keep us posted on your eventual choice and the reasons behind it.

There are lots of suggestiosn here for beginners. For 8x, the main divison is 8x42 (lots of models) vs.8x32 where there are less, but now there are a number of mid price models. I have a Pentax Sp 8x32, no real complaints. Other than it is not ED glass.

Mostly has to do with weight and field of view.

There´s a pair of Meopta Meostar 8x32 roof-prism binoculars for sale on the "Classifieds" thread of this forum that might fit the bill. Favourably compared to the Swarovski SLC 8x30, they would cover most requirements and are genuinely top-class binos. (BTW - I´m not the seller!!)

Darren

It might help narrow the considerations if you can provide an estimate or price range you are planning to invest.

Also an idea of how you plan to use them might be helpful. Such as general use, bird watching, sporting events, theater etc. Do you plan to walk long distances carrying the binoculars? Will you be using them in pre dawn or after sunset in addition to daylight? Do you need waterproof binoculars?

For instnace if you car camp a large bincoular that is not waterproof may be ok.
If you backpack a smaller lightweight waterproof model may be more desireable.
If your looking for an owls you may need a larger front objective etc.

For overlapping interests - a compromise might fill the need.

TVC

Last edited:
Hi Darren,
Seeing as you are in North Somerset, it may be worth visiting Lakeside Optics at Chew Valley Lake, they have a good selection of binoculars that you can test before buying,

I've just purchased my first pair of binoculars, Opticron 8x42 imagic bga se's. Main purpose is for birdwatching and very impressed with them.
I did also consider the Hawke Frontier ED's but felt the Opticrons had the edge.

Thanks for all your helpful replies
I am looking for a pair in the £70-£100 range I think.
I will use them in the rain and carry them with me so lightweight I think will be best.
Purely for birdwatching (a lot from the house into my large garden also)
Hauki I will take a look at Chew as its rather close
I had a look online and jessops have so many to choose from but I dont know what magnification is best for my needs - I think once I know that I will be better prepared to make my purchase

Many Thanks again

The end decision will of course be what your eyes prefer.

One you might want to add to your list to check and compare is the Pentax 9X28 DCF LV. It’s submersible. Center sharpness, color and brightness are good. It’s compact and light.
Attached photos show size compared to a full sized 10X42 Leica for comparison.

They are selling on AMAZON (USA) goes for $160 / £99
A consumer has a lot of price negotiation power these days.
http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-62599-9x28-DCF-Binocular/dp/B0014PYBHI

"Available in 9x28 magnification, the PENTAX DCF LV binoculars feature a durable, lightweight, compact body. With high-resolution phase-coated and super-reflective coated roof prisms for high contrast images, the nitrogen-filled waterproof (JIS Class 6) construction allow these binoculars to be used in the most extreme weather conditions and submerged to 3.3 feet. The inner-focus optical design adds durability and the helicoid eyepiece rings offer comfortable eye relief. The multi-coated lenses’ increase light transmission and color quality while rubber covered exterior provides a sure grip and protects the internal mechanisms."

Almost any binocular looks good reading bar codes off boxes in a store, If you have an opportunity to take them outside you might learn much more about the binocular. Most bins show less sharpness at the edges than the center. It’s worth comparing the edges of different models to see the difference.

Good luck!
T

Attachments

• IMG_6509.JPG
    IMG_6509.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_6517.JPG
    IMG_6517.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
The Pentax 9 x 28 is a small, useful, easy to use binocular with excellent eye relief for eye glass wearers and for those who do not wear them. The field of view is a bit narrow and the edges could be sharper but all in all it is a very good compact binocular for about $220.00 US funds which is about what I paid for them from Eagle Optics. They were my wife's favorite. Right now they are with our son in Chile where he is an exchange student. He isn't a birder but he has found them handy and useful in his travels.

Bob

I'm thinking of getting a 2nd one.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I am looking to invest in a pair of binoculars but beeing a complete novice I would like some advice and suggestions from those of you with the relevant experience.
As for price I dont have an unlimited budget but would like something that will last so quality and value for money are important.
I look forward to any comments/suggestions
Many thanks in advance

Darren
Darren,
I have a pair of Vortex Diamondback 9X36 in classified section: 'for sale'. Honestly, with hand on my heart, these are sharp, light, and well worth the extra few quid...lovely feel to 'em and solid as a rock.(i can bargain with you..really can't do fairer that that!)
If anything, look at the ad i have.

Darren,
I have a pair of Vortex Diamondback 9X36 in classified section: 'for sale'. Honestly, with hand on my heart, these are sharp, light, and well worth the extra few quid...lovely feel to 'em and solid as a rock.(i can bargain with you..really can't do fairer that that!)
If anything, look at the ad i have.

I also had one of these which I gave to my other son in Boston. For an inexpensive roof prism Vortex Diamondbacks are quite good. This one is like optiman describes them. It has a wide field of view as all Diamondbacks do with some softening at the edges. It could be a little brighter when used in evening viewing but it is very well built and rugged as are all Diamondbacks.

Of all the Diamondbacks, though, I think that the 8 x 42 is the best. But it is rather big and heavy,

Bob

Hawke 8x32/ Praktica 8x32wp

Hi Darren, If you are looking for a good set of max price £100 binoculars then i would highly recommend The Hawke Nature Trek. These are around the £80ish mark depending where you look. They are very bright and very clear having the better Bak-4 prisms and have the fully multicoated glass.

I have several makes of binoculars from opticron to Nikon and i find these are of the same quality unless you have the ed version. Another make i would recommend are the Praktica 8x32wp (Bak-4, Fully multicoated) i would definitely go for these aswell with a budget of £70 to £100. Both are nitrogen purged and fully waterproofed.

hope this helps.:t:

Last edited:
Hi Darren, If you are looking for a good set of max price £100 binoculars then i would highly recommend The Hawke Nature Trek. These are around the £80ish mark depending where you look. They are very bright and very clear having the better Bak-4 prisms and have the fully multicoated glass.

I have several makes of binoculars from opticron to Nikon and i find these are of the same quality unless you have the ed version. Another make i would recommend are the Praktica 8x32wp (Bak-4, Fully multicoated) i would definitely go for these aswell with a budget of £70 to £100. Both are nitrogen purged and fully waterproofed.

hope this helps.:t:
Thanks for the tip.
These both seem very good and within budget - I will definately look at these in detail over the next couple of days.
Cheers.

I was very supprised with these especially the praktica bins for the price but as i said they both have great clear images and equal in my mind to my opticron countrymans and yet half the price. The best price for the praktika are on Amazon they also have the 10x32 at the same price bargain, but if you can try before you buy.:t:

Last edited:
I was very supprised with these especially the praktica bins for the price but as i said they both have great clear images and equal in my mind to my opticron countrymans and yet half the price. The best price for the praktika are on Amazon they also have the 10x32 at the same price bargain, but if you can try before you buy.:t:

Might seem a silly question either one of these better for a glasses wearer in your opinion?
I dont have to wear my glasses but if its a dull dreary day they do help as I am short sighted.
Cheers Again

Darren

I don't wear glasses so i can't tell you sorry, but they both have the twisting type eye cups and not the roll over rubber type which makes them better for glass wearers and makes eye adjustment simpler.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back