• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommended Minimum Camera Lens Focal Length for Bird ID Only (1 Viewer)

BlueFox

I wish to use an interchangeable lens digital camera that I own, set it to auto exposure and autofocus, hand-held, and bring home images of birds that I cannot identify, crop the image to enlarge it, and send image to a local bird forum for identification purposes. This application does not concern bird photography beyond bird identification.

What would be your recommendation for the minimum focal length (35mm format equivalent) for this purpose? My environment would be low trees along a trail or shallow river waterfowl, perhaps no more than 50 yards. Good light is a luck of the draw.

you might be able to get away with 3-400 mm equivalent but my preference would be around 600. you do not mention which brand/model of camera you have?

Niels

you might be able to get away with 3-400 mm equivalent but my preference would be around 600. you do not mention which brand/model of camera you have?

Niels
Olympus Pen F. For identification purposes only, I was hoping to get away with a lower focal length for compactness in my pack, then crop the bird image at home. 400mm-600mm is the common preference for detailed photography.

If you use the 75-300 zoom on that camera I believe you will have a reasonably compact set and will have a maximum reach corresponding to 600 mm. The image quality is likely a little bit less than the 300F4 or the new longer zooms but good enough for your stated purpose.

Niels

If you use the 75-300 zoom on that camera I believe you will have a reasonably compact set and will have a maximum reach corresponding to 600 mm. The image quality is likely a little bit less than the 300F4 or the new longer zooms but good enough for your stated purpose.

Niels
Thank you. I have not seen that lens so I will look it up. I was hoping the 75/1.8 + 1.4 TC (200mm equivalent) would do the job.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back