• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-billed Quelea (1 Viewer)

L'argonnais

France
Hello,

bird seen last month in Namibia , "closed" to Etosha ; 30 km south of Anderson Gate (Gate of the middle of the park)
I have spent maybe one hour (or still more ! ) , searching on the internet without any success which bird is on the picture of the crop. I expected it to be a Weaber or a canary ; did not find a picture like my bird.

I also checked all the possible bird of the region, even Namibia - no success neither !

and in fact , on the original picture , there are 3 Red-billed Quelea ; then I wonder if it is the same specy or not???? for me no; but I do not see any other ; and of course, I do not know that species. So maybe????

JR

Attachments

• DSC_8171_AM.JPG
    DSC_8171_AM.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_8171.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 14
Open for discussion, but I think for Southern Masked Weaver female, the orange throat (clearly visible in L'argonnais' photo) is distinctive. It isn't shown in the Sasol guide, third edition, but I have a handwritten note in my copy to say 'orange throat', and although I don't remember the circumstances from a number of years ago, I don't make casual notes in my guides unless I have personal observation plus other reasons.

In fact, I think the Sasol third edition illustration of this bird seems to be seriously bad, because I also have a note that the female bill is pinkish (as in your photo) not grey or black (as in the illustration), that the eye is brown (as the guide's comments next to the illustration specifically says, although the illustration shows red), and finally that the yellow rump (which is huge in the illustration) would not be visible if the bird had its wings closed as in the illustration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back