• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-billed Queleas destroy crops (1 Viewer)

I saw this story today, it seems like they are definitely a threat to poor farmers. I can't believe the widespread use of toxic chemicals is the answer.

The second link says they have few natural predators, which is normally nature's way of keeping boom-bust cycles from getting out of hand.

Some articles on the problem here:

Trapping and using them as a protein source one approach, also using falcons to discourage them.

There are up to 1.5 billion Red-billed Queleas after the breeding season from what I've found. If they kill millions, millions of others will take their place--it's only perpetuating senseless violence, not to mention the toxicity of the chemicals. Surely, they can do better to find a non-violent alternative.

EDIT: Some of them are listed in the link above; my favourite is planting quelea-resistant crops.

Last edited:
Logical answer is to eat them. Cheap lime traps have worked effectively in Europe for centuries.
The article points out that the birds numbers have soared along with the increase in grain cultivation. so it is a man made problem calling for a man made solution.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back