• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Kite at Windsor, UK (1 Viewer)

AdamW

Into the wild...
Hi all

Just joined the forum today, and thought I would upload a recent Kite shot I took just outside Windsor, Berkshire, UK.

Originally, I was out shooting landscape stuff at this location but saw the Kite going back and forth to the same tree. So, I ran back to the car grabbed the 300mm lens and got this shot before it left for good.

Looking forward to posting more in the future!

7425017286_245e475dfd_b.jpg

Hi all

Just joined the forum today, and thought I would upload a recent Kite shot I took just outside Windsor, Berkshire, UK.

Originally, I was out shooting landscape stuff at this location but saw the Kite going back and forth to the same tree. So, I ran back to the car grabbed the 300mm lens and got this shot before it left for good.

Looking forward to posting more in the future!

View attachment 396884

It's a very interesting shot Adam. This kite is very pale coloured, although clearly not a leucistic kite.
Why not have a look at our website - we have some cracking images, many from BF members.
Would you be willing to allow me to add this one to our database? You would receive an acknowledgement, of course.
www.friendsofredkites.org.uk

It's a very interesting shot Adam. This kite is very pale coloured, although clearly not a leucistic kite.
Why not have a look at our website - we have some cracking images, many from BF members.
Would you be willing to allow me to add this one to our database? You would receive an acknowledgement, of course.
www.friendsofredkites.org.uk

Hi June

Feel free to add the photo to your website.

I enjoyed flicking through the website this evening :) - very informative.

Hi June

Feel free to add the photo to your website.

I enjoyed flicking through the website this evening :) - very informative.

Thanks for your very swift response Adam.
If you have a higher resolution image file of your photograph, please send it to me at [email protected] I can receive large file without a problem.
Many thanks for your generosity.

It's pale because it's a juvenile with different plumage to the adult.

Thanks for this clarification, Helen. I have to say that I have never noticed such pale juveniles amongst our fledglings. It's beautiful!

Have you picked up our sad news about wing Tag 84? Born in the Chilterns in 2006, and having partnered a Scottish kite, successfully breeding for several years, her body was found washed up on Redcar beach.

For more info on this go to our website www.friendsofredkites.org.uk
The Home page leads you to the Media page where the news unfolds.

We are all saddened by this break-up of a good pair outside the core area of the Derwent Valley.

Attachments

• WT 84_30 June 12.jpg
    WT 84_30 June 12.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 62
June, do you have the ring nr of the dead kite? If so, could you pm it to me? Many thanks, and regards to all....

It's pale because it's a juvenile with different plumage to the adult.

I'm slightly surprised about that because surely this year's birds shouldn't be in wing moult? Could it be a first summer, which might mean paleness was due to bleaching? See pic below of a bird in the New Forest that I assumed was a true juvenile, fingers blunter and no flight feather moult in wing.

John

Attachments

• 2012_07_25_Red_Kite2 (800x533).jpg
    2012_07_25_Red_Kite2 (800x533).jpg
    141 KB · Views: 72
Sorry John, yes, I meant juv in the sense it was a 2CY bird (2011 bird).
The eyes of a 2012 kite will still be greyish in colour for a while.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back