• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-shouldered hawk? Reno NV USA 8/23/19 (1 Viewer)

Birds4Kathy

Hi, I saw this hawk in a tree yesterday (8/23/19) near a marshy area in Reno Nevada, USA. Unfortunately all I got was his backside. Enclosed are two photos, one close up, the other includes this bird along with a Kestral (to help establish size). He has stripes on his tail and is significantly bigger than the kestral. Is red-shouldered hawk a reasonable guess? Thanks! Kathy

Attachments

• Kestral and Hawk small.jpg
    Kestral and Hawk small.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Red-shouldered hawk3.jpg
    Red-shouldered hawk3.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 40
Thanks to all. I didn't realize that juvenile red-tailed hawks also have stripes on their tail. Too bad all I got was the back side..... Kathy

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back