• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-Veined Darter? (1 Viewer)

John P

Usually on a different wavelength
I've read the book and studied various pics until my veins feel redder than this Dragon's, but I still can't decide whether or not it's a Red-veined Darter.

Attachments

• IMG_8606-c-r-f-rafw.jpg
    IMG_8606-c-r-f-rafw.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_8607-c-r-f-rafw.jpg
    IMG_8607-c-r-f-rafw.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 88
Hi John

It's a Common Darter. Your front on shot is good because you can see that no black goes down the side of the frons. Although the pterostigmas appear yellowish in one photo the other shows that they are red. Also in a RVD of this maturity the red over blue eyes would be very apparent.

HTH, Paul

Hi John

It's a Common Darter. Your front on shot is good because you can see that no black goes down the side of the frons. Although the pterostigmas appear yellowish in one photo the other shows that they are red. Also in a RVD of this maturity the red over blue eyes would be very apparent.

HTH, Paul

That about covers it Paul!

....[John....i can see why you were uncertain]!

ps...John...if you get to hear of any newly emerged RVD's in your area you must go and have a look at them....they truly are stunning creatures....probably better looking than the adults!

Thanks; I'd checked the frons and the eyes and leg colour, it's the red veining in the wings which is confusing me.

Do Common Darters always have this?

I've seen quite a few very similar to this but with just plain wings which I'd thought were Common Darters, or have I been mis-I'D-ing those?

Thanks; I'd checked the frons and the eyes and leg colour, it's the red veining in the wings which is confusing me.

Do Common Darters always have this?

I've seen quite a few very similar to this but with just plain wings which I'd thought were Common Darters, or have I been mis-I'D-ing those?

It's the way the strong sunlight is catching the wings: http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/154686/ppuser/1805

Get the sun behind you and you won't notice it

Hi John

(Not trying to cause confusion but ;)) I've attached a couple of pics of how different the wings of a male Common Darter can look. In the righthand pic you can see some red/yellow veins which would get emphasized if the sun was behind the dragon rather than me.

Over the past week or so when we've had some sun and I've been walking down Iley Lane (Lower Pennington end) I've seen quite a few Common Darters perched up high in hedges and not looking too dissimilar to your pic.

Cheers, Paul

Attachments

• VG_061012_CDT_640x480.jpg
    VG_061012_CDT_640x480.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 72
  • COMDT_m_UPB_090814_800x600.jpg
    COMDT_m_UPB_090814_800x600.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 71
Thanks again, Iley Lane is exactly where these pics were taken Paul.

Just as an aside, I thought (briefly) one day last week that I'd discovered a new species, there was a Common Darter sitting on a white stone near the pond where I'm working and the very strong sunlight was casting a perfect shadow of the wings on the stone, it looked for all the world like an eight winged Dragon.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back