• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redpolls (1 Viewer)

Statius Müller just gives 'Europa' for the type locality of Fringilla cabaret. Has it been narrowed to any particular locality by subsequent revisers? As Statius Müller was German, I'd assume likely somewhere in Germany.

Mason & Taylor (in press). Differentially expressed genes match bill morphology and plumage despite largely undifferentiated genomes in a Holarctic songbird. Mol Ecol. [abstract] [supp info]

TiF Update May 11
Redpolls: Mason and Taylor's detailed study using SNP's (2015) found little genetic differentiation among the redpolls. At this point the balance of the evidence is that there is only one species involved. As a result, I've lumped them all as a single species, Holarctic Redpoll, Acanthis flammea. I thought about referring to them as just “Redpolls”, but added the adjective Holarctic to emphasize that all races have been grouped together.

Interesting point that Mr Sangster 'scientific' criteria of separating species don't match biological reality.

That is a bold statement based on a blog post that didn't even mention me or the taxonomic criteria I and many other professional taxonomists use.

FYI: Remsen criticised BirdLife's criteria, and I fully agree with Remsen that their criteria are deeply flawed. He also questioned Lifjeld's comments in Mol. Ecol. about genomics guiding species delimitation. Again, I agree with Remsen that we don't know enough to make wholesale taxonomic changes based on genome scans alone (e.g. RADseq).

islandica

Amouret, Steinauer, Hallgrimsson & Pálsson (in press). Evolutionary status of Icelandic Redpolls Carduelis flammea islandica (Aves, Passeriformes, Fringillidae). J Ornithol. [abstract & preview]
Amouret et al 2015. J Ornithol 156(4): 1035–1048. [pdf]

Amouret, Hallgrimsson, Kolbeinsson & Pálsson (in press). Morphological differentiation of Icelandic Redpolls, Acanthis flammea islandica. Bird Study. [abstract]

Last edited:
I enjoyed seeing the Hoary Redpolls (at present, I presume, Acanthis hornemanni) I saw up in the Sax-Zim bog up in Minnesota and will continue to keep them on the "life list" regardless of what the "powers that be" decide to do with their "lumping & splitting". Things continue to change and change back and change again. "To each his own!"

I enjoyed seeing the Hoary Redpolls (at present, I presume, Acanthis hornemanni) I saw up in the Sax-Zim bog up in Minnesota and will continue to keep them on the "life list" regardless of what the "powers that be" decide to do with their "lumping & splitting". Things continue to change and change back and change again. "To each his own!"

That's fine, as long as you are not counting the splits --- The powers that be.8-P

Larry, this thread includes several links to blogposts by Martin Garner, who sadly died on Friday (29 Jan). As always evident from his enthusiasm for the subtleties of redpoll identification, bird forms can be interesting and challenging irrespective of their taxonomic treatment!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back