• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redstart subspecies or hybrid? Central Lithuania. (1 Viewer)

Today friends of my photographed female Redstart with a lot of white on wing. Maybe possible ssp. samamisicus ?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Attachments

• Redstart.jpg
    Redstart.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 223
  • DSC_0068.JPG
    DSC_0068.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 158
This looks like a Black Redstart to me.

The throat of C Redstart is nomally paler than the chest and the belly should also be paler than the chest. The underparts of Black Redstart are normally concolourous as in the pictures.

C Redstart should show a faint dark malar stripe.

The females and juvs of eastern race Black Redstarts are browner than those that we are familiar with in W Europe and I wonder if it is one of them.

BR fems never show pale patch on the wing like this bird. Can't see anyhting that dissuades me from fem Ehrenberg's

I probably should've typed 'fem-type' I guess ;) but I'd've thought if it was a 1styr male there would be some darker feathers around the face by now....the pale edging also seems quite extensive and fresh-looking and a couple of the gc's look pointed to me so I'd say a 1styr fem

1st win male Black Redstart for me. There was a bird at Ness Point, Lowestoft today looking almost identical to the second picture (the first picture looks paler tho). The Ness point bird looked paler than even Brians posted picture...Black Redstart for me.

Looking in BWP both male black redstart and redstart , ssp samamisicus are shown with a strong pale wing pannel. While i agree it looks like a female , but this has been a very unsettled summer and some species bred very late so a immature male cant be ruled out.

Black redstart for me.

Last edited:
If the 1st image is more cosmetically representative/accurate of the actual bird, (perhaps the OP could confirm this?). It appears to look almost peachy washed on the underparts?..I've never seen a 1st Winter/fem/mle. BR looking this clean on the underparts..thus from a first impression I believe it looks more samamisicus than ochruros. That said...being shot on a hand rail and a 'rock' it might just favour BR over CR?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back