• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Refurbished (Demo) out of stock? Is this possible? (1 Viewer)

Peewee

Yesterday I ordered a Demo (Refurbished) bino at an on-line dealer. Today I received a mail from them saying the item is temporarily out of stock and they expect the item to be available within 1-2 weeks. Of course the mail also says they have plenty of alternatives that are in stock and can be shipped right away.

This came a a surprise to me. I think this is a bit strange because you either have a demo available or you don’t. This is not something I thought they would order at the distributor.

Is this a bait for me they are hoping I will catch or is this common with refurbs (demos’) ?

Any comments?

Cheers Peter

it's possible, some manufactures will supply ex-demo and refurb stock to retailers... but then again some retailer may use such offers as a hook. I guess if it's a known and respected retailer you should be OK.

It could be what you fear, but a less sinister explanation might be that it's a standard email sent out for an Out Of Stock item. Albeit a misleading one.

PostcardCV en Quango thanks for your comments.

I ordered at www.Opticsplanet.com. From what I could find on the net I assumed they are respectable resellers. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.

Cheers Peter

Opticsplanet is an excellent dealer. You can believe them.

Thanks for the reassuring comment. So far you are absolutely right because today I received an e-mail saying the item is shipped. I can hardly believe it. Now all I have to do is hope that the delivery will be soon and that the refurbished bino is in a good condition.

cheers Peter

I've bought a number of things from OpticsPlanet and have never had any problem or bad experience. I'm sure your new binos will be exactly as advertised.

I've bought a number of things from OpticsPlanet and have never had any problem or bad experience. I'm sure your new binos will be exactly as advertised.

After 3 weeks of waiting I finally received my Nikon 8x32SE Refurbished. Unfortunately there is something wrong with it. When I shake it about I hear something on the inside which is moving around. It also seems that there is something scratched on the lens surface on the inside (possibly because of this).
I just send Optics planet an e-mail with some questions I have. I already paid import tax and sending them back asking for a new item will probably mean will have to pay this again (i am afraid). So far my first experience with ordering from the US is not a good one. I knew I was taking a risk but I did not expect this. I will just keep my fingers crossed.

Cheers Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back