• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Repair Process for my old Dialyt 8x30B (1 Viewer)

Joe H

United States
I enjoy reading the posts in the binoculars section here on Birdforum, but I’m not really an optics aficionado. Nor do I have a lot of optical gear for birding (my working “collection” contains two bins and one spotting scope). I tend to keep my stuff until it breaks or gets stolen so I don’t have much to contribute here but I did recently have a little work done on my old Zeiss spotting scope and the process was so fast, successful and pleasant that I decided to see if Zeiss could work their repair magic on my father-in-law’s old Zeiss Dialyt 8x30B.

The bins have seen about 40 years of hard service, both university field work and recreational bird watching; and then another 20 years of mostly recreational bird watching on a farm after my father-in-law retired and took up hobby farming. He gifted them to me after he bought a new set of Zeiss binoculars several years ago. Below is a picture taken 15 years ago shortly after the great old man retired. We were searching termite mounds for parrot nests in northern Australia. You can see the bins around his neck as he stands next to my wife and son. Unfortunately, as he’s closing in on 90 years, my father-in-law is no longer bashing around the outback in search of rarities. We have a family reunion planned for later this year so I’m hoping to have these cleaned up for use during the visit down under. In my next post I’ll detail their current condition and what I’m hoping to do.

Attachments

• Termite Mounds.jpg
    Termite Mounds.jpg
    649.1 KB · Views: 82
In my similar thread outlining the repair process for an older Zeiss spotting scope, the work and shipping time all went so quickly that it was over almost before I knew it. I’ll track the repair process again and hope for a similar result.

The bins themselves are still usable and I would not feel particularly disadvantaged taking them on most birding trips. They aren’t waterproof and their “close focus” is not particularly close, but they work pretty much as Zeiss intended 60 years ago. But there are some niggles that have accumulated over the intervening decades:

-There are some spots inside the right eyepiece, possibly mold. The spots are big enough to be noticeable when using the binoculars.

-Both of the objective lenses show signs of coating separation around the edges.

-The focus wheel feels loose.

-The leatherette coverings are filthy.

They still give a nice view that’s slightly more yellow than either of my other two binoculars. Everything is still covered in snow up here in Alaska so color tints are easy to spot. The yellow cast tends to disappear into my subconscious after a few moments unless I swap between binoculars.

I’m hoping Zeiss can clean the interiors and adjust the focus wheel. I don’t know if replacing the objective lenses is an option, or if it would make financial sense to do so.

With all that in mind, I called Zeiss’ Kentucky-based repair office and (just as when I called about my scope) spoke to an impressively polite and well-informed representative. She was familiar with the particular model was very optimistic that at least a good cleaning could be done. Good news so far!

Attachments

• Zeiss Dialyt 8x30B.jpg
    Zeiss Dialyt 8x30B.jpg
    896.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Before I pack the old binoculars up I decided to do my part and thoroughly clean the outside. The covering was sticky with decades of sunscreen, insect repellant, dirty hands and sweat. I assumed the black covering was leather so used the same cleaning process I use on old hiking boots and bicycle seats. This removed a tremendous amount of gunk but the end result wasn’t quite right. I then brushed in a light coat of black shoe polish and buffed. The buffing caused a bit of friction and I smelled a distinct odor of vulcanite, the same material used for stems in my old tobacco pipes. Looking more closely I realized the textured covering wasn’t leather, but thin sheets of vulcanite with a textured surface structure molded in.

Back to the drawing board! I have tobacco pipes that are over 70 years old and their vulcanite stems are still black and shiny. I abandoned my leather cleaning supplies and dug out the pipe stem oil, an old toothbrush and started over. The result was just what I was after, a clean, jet-black and shiny surface that didn’t leave black smudges on a paper towel. I finished it up with a light coat of candle wax well rubbed in and polished. The results can be seen in the attached photo. I could probably repaint or chemically blacken the exposed metal but I like that these old binoculars show the signs of my father-in-law’s many years of use so cleaning is all I’m willing to do. Now they look presentable for the Zeiss repair experts. I’ll check back in once Zeiss gets these and has a chance to inspect them.

Attachments

• Zeiss Dialyt 8x30B clean.jpg
    Zeiss Dialyt 8x30B clean.jpg
    602.6 KB · Views: 61
Joe - I'm sure things will turn out well with Zeiss and your Dialyts! I just finished the process of having some 8x56 Dialyts restored (from here in the USA). I sent them to Zeiss USA who then sent them to Zeiss Germany where the technician did a fantastic job of servicing these binoculars for a reasonable price. They came back as a new instrument. I think the repair involved cleaning, lubricating, new focuser parts, new lenses, and more. I'm glad the company stands behind these wonderful legacy optics.

Last edited:
Zeiss USA were unable to fix sloppiness in the focus mechanism of our old Dialyt 8x30. I suspect it had largely to do with the force required to move the objectives which of course have sealing around them.

Thanks for the great info Scott and tenex,

I’d be happy to pay for new objectives if they are still available – it would be great to have these bins in optically tip-top shape for when I’m feeling retro (the bare aluminum is a nice match for my gray hair). They go in the mail tomorrow; then it’s up to the friendly folks at Zeiss to let me know what they can do. I hope replacement glass is an option. Thanks again for sharing your experiences.

Thanks for the great info Scott and tenex,

I’d be happy to pay for new objectives if they are still available – it would be great to have these bins in optically tip-top shape for when I’m feeling retro (the bare aluminum is a nice match for my gray hair). They go in the mail tomorrow; then it’s up to the friendly folks at Zeiss to let me know what they can do. I hope replacement glass is an option. Thanks again for sharing your experiences.
They'll evaluate them and send you a proposal with the cost of repair. On my Dialyts it included replacing scratched or damaged lenses. I assume they will offer that to you if they have the lenses available.

I enjoy reading the posts in the binoculars section here on Birdforum, but I’m not really an optics aficionado. Nor do I have a lot of optical gear for birding (my working “collection” contains two bins and one spotting scope). I tend to keep my stuff until it breaks or gets stolen so I don’t have much to contribute here but I did recently have a little work done on my old Zeiss spotting scope and the process was so fast, successful and pleasant that I decided to see if Zeiss could work their repair magic on my father-in-law’s old Zeiss Dialyt 8x30B.

The bins have seen about 40 years of hard service, both university field work and recreational bird watching; and then another 20 years of mostly recreational bird watching on a farm after my father-in-law retired and took up hobby farming. He gifted them to me after he bought a new set of Zeiss binoculars several years ago. Below is a picture taken 15 years ago shortly after the great old man retired. We were searching termite mounds for parrot nests in northern Australia. You can see the bins around his neck as he stands next to my wife and son. Unfortunately, as he’s closing in on 90 years, my father-in-law is no longer bashing around the outback in search of rarities. We have a family reunion planned for later this year so I’m hoping to have these cleaned up for use during the visit down under. In my next post I’ll detail their current condition and what I’m hoping to do.
A wonderful post!!! I admired and was a bit inspired by your determination in restoring the Dialyts. They offer wonderful intangibles no modern binocular can provide: memories of loved ones, and a link to their experiences as well as yours. Good luck in your restoration efforts.

Thanks again for the encouragement! Certainly having a tangible keepsake like these in top working order will be a great homage to the man. They'd been hanging on wall as a decoration, but really ought to be used more. They went in the mail today so I'll wait to hear what the verdict is.

Attachments

• In the mail.jpg
    In the mail.jpg
    735 KB · Views: 41
Good luck with the repair. Zeiss had of course been in the business of making binoculars for decades prior to the Dialyt series, but even so they did a lot to build Zeiss's reputation. The Dialyt range still handle and point very well in my hands, and are a pleasure to use (and their leatherette covering stands up better than that used in many models of their great competitor, Leitz). It's not total coincidence I think that Zeiss's latest high-end binocular range includes 8x30 and 10x40 offerings.

This afternoon I found a note from the Post Office saying they tried to deliver a package which required a signature and that they would try again Tuesday. I checked the tracking number and the mystery package departed a few days ago from Hebron, KY (home of the Zeiss repair facility for the U.S.). I’d received an e-mail from Zeiss on the 7th indicating they’d received my binoculars and would contact me once they inspected them, but nothing since.

Based on the tracking numbers, the binoculars were at Zeiss for about five days. Argh! Now I have to wait overnight to find out what Zeiss did with the old bins. If I were a betting man, I'd guess the possible mold spots on the eye piece caused Zeiss to decline to service them, but I hope I'm wrong. I’ll check back in once I get the bins in hand.

Last edited:

My pessimistic prediction was unwarranted. I wrote in my service request to Zeiss that one eye piece had internal spots, probably mold, and the Zeiss web site has a big banner stating "Note: In general, Zeiss does not accept instruments infested by fungus," so I was a bit worried. It seems in this case Zeiss made an exception.

I retrieved my binoculars from the post office today and here’s what Zeiss was able to do: They adjusted the focusing system to make it a bit tighter and they greased the objective lenses “so they would move smoothly.“ To get to the objective lenses that move during focusing they certainly disassembled the objective end of both barrels. My guess is that since the possible mold spots were restricted to one eye piece, they decided the risk of contamination was minimal. I couldn’t be happier that the focus knob now feels much more reliable. I’m probably not using the correct word to describe it, but there is virtually no free movement when switching direction, and the turning feels light and so smooth with one revolution from near to infinity.

The bad news was that the note from Zeiss said they no longer have parts for this model so they could not replace the “Objective or Ocular lenses.” With no warranty to invalidate and no chance for Zeiss to fix them, I decided to see if there was anything I could do. The eye piece screws out in one piece (see the picture below) so I had a look inside. Unfortunately, the spots appear internal to the eye piece elements. I guess it’s time to start researching if there are independent binocular service shops that ae willing to tackle mold (or whatever it is). I’m not even sure if the spots can be cleaned, or if they actually etch the glass surface. I suppose I can keep an eye out on ebay to see if an inexpensive one has a salvageable eyepiece.

In all I have to give Zeiss high marks for doing what they did on these old bins. In addition to the adjusting and lubricating, they included a new neck strap, lens cleaning cloth, decal and some marketing material – all completely free of charge. I would have happily paid for the service they provided. If anyone has an older pair of Zeiss binoculars and wonders if Zeiss can still service them, the answer seems to be yes, but moldy 60 year old lens elements are perhaps a bit too much. Thanks Zeiss!!

Attachments

• Zeiss Eye Piece.JPG
    Zeiss Eye Piece.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Zeiss Dialyt 8x30 Repaired.jpg
    Zeiss Dialyt 8x30 Repaired.jpg
    683 KB · Views: 50
The saga continues! I found on-line a similar aged Dialyt 8x30B in fairly rough condition but with what appear to be good lenses. They are on their way from overseas to me for the equivalent of $170.00 US dollars including shipping. It’s a bit of a risk, but not much is invested. My plan is to swap one of the incoming binocular eyepieces for the one with mold (or whatever it is) on my father-in-law’s set. Assuming they were all assembled to the same tolerances, what could go wrong?

I’ll check back in once they arrive. The shipper says it could take as long as late June so I have time to consider the neck-strap. The new neoprene and nylon one is a little flashy for these 60 year old bins. I may try to make a leather one while I wait…

My pessimistic prediction was unwarranted. I wrote in my service request to Zeiss that one eye piece had internal spots, probably mold, and the Zeiss web site has a big banner stating "Note: In general, Zeiss does not accept instruments infested by fungus," so I was a bit worried. It seems in this case Zeiss made an exception.

I retrieved my binoculars from the post office today and here’s what Zeiss was able to do: They adjusted the focusing system to make it a bit tighter and they greased the objective lenses “so they would move smoothly.“ To get to the objective lenses that move during focusing they certainly disassembled the objective end of both barrels. My guess is that since the possible mold spots were restricted to one eye piece, they decided the risk of contamination was minimal. I couldn’t be happier that the focus knob now feels much more reliable. I’m probably not using the correct word to describe it, but there is virtually no free movement when switching direction, and the turning feels light and so smooth with one revolution from near to infinity.

The bad news was that the note from Zeiss said they no longer have parts for this model so they could not replace the “Objective or Ocular lenses.” With no warranty to invalidate and no chance for Zeiss to fix them, I decided to see if there was anything I could do. The eye piece screws out in one piece (see the picture below) so I had a look inside. Unfortunately, the spots appear internal to the eye piece elements. I guess it’s time to start researching if there are independent binocular service shops that ae willing to tackle mold (or whatever it is). I’m not even sure if the spots can be cleaned, or if they actually etch the glass surface. I suppose I can keep an eye out on ebay to see if an inexpensive one has a salvageable eyepiece.

In all I have to give Zeiss high marks for doing what they did on these old bins. In addition to the adjusting and lubricating, they included a new neck strap, lens cleaning cloth, decal and some marketing material – all completely free of charge. I would have happily paid for the service they provided. If anyone has an older pair of Zeiss binoculars and wonders if Zeiss can still service them, the answer seems to be yes, but moldy 60 year old lens elements are perhaps a bit too much. Thanks Zeiss!!
Great to hear that Zeiss went the extra mile to service your binoculars. Great to see the company’s warranty service is as good as their products.

I love it when a plan comes together! Today the Dialyt 8x30B that I found on-line arrived. Based on the serial number it was probably a couple years newer than my father-in-law’s pair. They were very similar in wear but the lenses, especially the eye-pieces, were in excellent condition. The picture below shows my pair on the left and the “doner pair” on the right. The swap was easily accomplished and now my pair has no more spots on the right side. Wonderful result!

Of course, the doner pair received my father-in-law’s eye-piece with the spots so now it works just fine but has observable spots on the right side. Since I have one pair in great shape, I may experiment with taking the eye-piece with spots apart to see if I can clean it. I think I read someplace the eye-piece has five glass elements in there. Even if the (presumed) mold has left marks on the glass, getting the actual spots cleaned should produce some improvement. I’ll consider it a bit before I commit to anything potentially destructive – it is nice to have another pair that I could keep in the car or wherever; they are certainly usable as is.

So, including the postage required to send my pair to Zeiss, this process cost me almost exactly $200 US dollars. I would have gladly paid that to Zeiss if they could have adjusted my pair and replaced the eye-piece. But in this case I ended up with two working Dialyt 8x30Bs that look virtually identical and only one has the spotted eye-piece. I’ll post again if I decide to subject the spotted eye-piece to my amature disassembly and cleaning efforts.

Attachments

• A Pair of Dialyts.jpg
    A Pair of Dialyts.jpg
    781.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
The final chapter:

After some on-line research I finally plucked up the courage to disassemble the eyepiece that had the spots. It was easier than I anticipated as there was only one screw-in collar that held all of the eyepiece elements together. The spots were in between the outermost lens and the doublet element. After scrubbing away the spots with a Q-tip and cleaning everything up, the reassembly process was easy. That was good because I noticed a couple specs of dust so I took it apart again and using a lens blower, made sure everything was dust free.

The end result was a big improvement. The mold did in fact eat through the lens coating and that is observable from the outside, but in use I could not detect any spots or evidence of the old mold areas. Before this process I could see the spots when panning against a plain surface. Now they seem just fine no matter how hard I try to detect the spots. Of course my father-in-law's pair are still great and I'm using them quite a bit now. I like the warmer view they give due to the slight yellowish tint. It's a fun break from the super neutral view of my Swarovskies.

Attachments

• Zeiss repair.jpg
    Zeiss repair.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 23
Postscript: The family reunion was a resounding success. I took a photograph of my father-in-law along with the old 8x30s and his replacement Zeiss binoculars. It’s pretty impressive that two binoculars can last a man an entire lifetime (well, 60 or 70 years of birding anyway). One of my kids will eventually inherit the 8x30s, so I may get them engraved with my father-in-law’s name. They’re destined to pass through at least three generations in our family. My compliments to Zeiss for creating great binoculars and potential family heirlooms.

Attachments

• old and new Zeiss.jpg
    old and new Zeiss.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back