• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reports from a Patch (1 Viewer)

Darren Oakley-Martin

(Feel-good factor, 1/10)

Weather good it seemed, sun shining through occasionally, mild and dry so the reports of early spring arrivals in the area gave me no other choice- birding it was. Caffeine kicking in……

(Feel-good factor now up to 3/10)

About 4 miles away, a Water Pipit had been recorded infrequently over the last two days, Ringed Plovers making their returns to the pits and with Oystercatcher and Shelduck also returning, these were to be amongst my targets.

(Feel-good factor remains unmoved at 3/10)

As I set off the sun was shining, Chaffinch, Blackbird, Song Thrush and Great Tit singing as if they almost meant it! Walking along the Embankment, people were feeding the geese- right next to a sign that said, 'PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE GEESE.' I guarantee that in Sunday's local newspaper, there will be a letter from Mr & Mrs Unnaybull- Tworeed complaining that their 4 year old had slipped over on goose sh*t and fallen into the river. And that the council should be doing something about those 'Canadian Geese!'

(Feel-good factor rockets up to 8/10)

Walking into the Country Park, I hear Polly the Parakeet playing with her bell in a nearby tree. I toss her some trill and walk on. Not much activity on the lake, a few Great-crested Grebe- paired up now but not displaying. A Kestrel makes a flyby in a place I've never seen one before, Tufted Duck and Pochard numbers good, 20 or so Shoveler, a couple of Grey Heron and a few loafing Cormorant. Someone has spray-painted a pentagram on the hide door.

Now here's a thing- the local fishery manager goes out onto the lake every morning and beats a stick on the side of the boat. This tactic, I am informed, is to scare away the evil Cormorants! Recalling this made me laugh to myself.

(Feel-good factor makes ground to 8.5/10)

Out through the park and at the sewage works. 250 odd gulls, mainly Black-headed but able to pick out a few Common and 2 Herring. A nice flock of 220 or so Starlings overhead, although I have to admit, I’m always a little nervous when large numbers of Starling are directly overhead. (Has anyone seen these birds in really good numbers recently?) Behind me, the clear and nervous call of a Green Sandpiper. A year tick.....good stuff......

(Feel-good factor steady at 8.5)

The first spits of rain on my notebook............

(Feel-good factor............

To be continued.

Nice 1 Daz...*thumbs up thingy*!!!
As a footnote to your obvious total lack of regard for those beautiful,
sweet voiced Ring it's neck Parakeets...;)
I was driving home this afternoon along the A141 from Chatteris
and saw a bird struggling to cross the road,
in what were very cold and windy conditions...I initially thought, due to it's silhouette that it was a rather thin looking Kestrel.
Turned out, as I drew alongside it, that it was a RN Parakeet.
I thought...mmmm nice, a County Tick!...but looking in my rear view mirror
it suddenly, with the force of the turbulence caused by all the traffic, dropped into the path of a Tesco's lorry behind me...
and splatt..green feathers everywhere!...
Feel good factor 0/10...
That rather dampened my elation of earlier seeing 4 Hawfinches at Lynford.
Moral of this story?...Count your blessings?

Dave.

Cinyras said:
!'
A nice flock of 220 or so Starlings overhead, although I have to admit, I’m always a little nervous when large numbers of Starling are directly overhead. (Has anyone seen these birds in really good numbers recently?)
To be continued.

Hundreds on Sheppey Saturday!!!

Flock of 50 -60 wheeling as I crossed the bridge...than a field ful guess at 400-500 later on Harty field full with Laps

my neice's garden has 10's!!!!
Later I saw a swarm of 1000 ???? massive!

Eagle

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back