• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Azan Khan

Hi everyone, can anyone help me ID these seabirds? Posting it on behalf of a friend.

The first bird is a jaeger which apparently looks like Parasitic/Arctic Jaeger to me based on the two pointed tail feathers but I'd still like to see a a response regarding its correct identity, preferably with tips.

The second bird looks like a Flesh-footed Shearwater to me but I'm not very confident. Any response would be appreciated since it could be the first record from Pakistan.

Same goes for the last bird, which looks pretty good for Persian Shearwater but need confirmation.

Date: Oct 2022

Photo credit: Akbar Ali Asif

Attachments

• received_782837962809295.jpg
    received_782837962809295.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 106
  • received_2458235360997881.jpg
    received_2458235360997881.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 107
  • received_1121032448534130 (2).jpg
    received_1121032448534130 (2).jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 107
  • received_2080954408760898_11zon.jpg
    received_2080954408760898_11zon.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 89
  • FB_IMG_1667379162486.jpg
    FB_IMG_1667379162486.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 83
  • FB_IMG_1667304882514.jpg
    FB_IMG_1667304882514.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 100
Hi everyone, can anyone help me ID these seabirds? Posting it on behalf of a friend.

The first bird is a jaeger which apparently looks like Parasitic/Arctic Jaeger to me based on the two pointed tail feathers but I'd still like to see a a response regarding its correct identity, preferably with tips.

The second bird looks like a Flesh-footed Shearwater to me but I'm not very confident. Any response would be appreciated since it could be the first record from Pakistan.

Same goes for the last bird, which looks pretty good for Persian Shearwater but need confirmation.

Date: Oct 2022

Photo credit: Akbar Ali Asif
I agree with your Shearwater ID, and both species are regular in the Arabian Sea off the UAE so would expect them here.

As for the Jaeger, although the tail seems to be more like Arctic not only in the two longer feathers but also the the overall shape, (both species will have lost their long feathers). However, it has the weight & bulk that reminds me more of Pomarine. This is easier to tell from flight action. The heavy bill and breast band also seems to support Pomarine but is the black cap extensive enough?

I agree with your Shearwater ID, and both species are regular in the Arabian Sea off the UAE so would expect them here.

As for the Jaeger, although the tail seems to be more like Arctic not only in the two longer feathers but also the the overall shape, (both species will have lost their long feathers). However, it has the weight & bulk that reminds me more of Pomarine. This is easier to tell from flight action. The heavy bill and breast band also seems to support Pomarine but is the black cap extensive enough?
Yes it's an immature (2nd/3rd cy) Pomarine; heavy bill, broad breastband and bulky build and, regarding cap, the black is clearly moulting through below the gape line.

Agree with the shearwater ID's.

Grahame

The skua is an immature Arctic/Parasitic, due to the prominent white shafts on all primaries, extensively white uppertail coverts, very pointed central tail feathers, white patch at base of upper mandible, and restricted black cap. The bill does not look particularly heavy to me, and the breast pattern is normal for immature Arctic. And no, it is not moulting; both immature Pomarine and immature Arctic skua have long completed their head moult by November (cf. Howell 2007).

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back