• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rescued a baby black-naped orioele (1 Viewer)

isitmei

Singapore
rescued a baby black naped orioele found on the ground. Might have fallen off from its nest. I think its about 15days old(according to google). The nest is on the tree right infront of my home. Crows are trying to eat it so i took it with me to care for it before releasing it back. I have never cared for a bird before so I have a few questions:

(1) how often should i feed it?
(2) How can i let the parents know its baby is with me? becos i do see the parent bird flying around and fighting back crows.
(3)how do i know when the baby is ready to be released?
(4) should i wash/shower the bird?

thanks in advance

72D007B0-46C1-42B9-A3D3-63E789BA292A.jpeg

Welcome to Birdforum.

Would it be possible to return it to the nest?

Here are some guidelines

Welcome to Birdforum.

Would it be possible to return it to the nest?

Here are some guidelines

i dont think so... its quite high up... probably needs a fire truck to reach it. I think its better to just care for it till parent comes or when it's able to fly on its own.

Also to add on, there are stray cats and crows in my area, is it dangerous for this baby bird? is it still best to care for it in my home or leave it under the tree?

If there are stray cats/crows, then I think you are right to try to take care of it. Maybe there's a bird rescue centre nearby -- I have one near where I live, for example, though I don't know what it looks like where you live? Big cities should have them, hopefully.

I don't know, but I don't think it would need any washing.

I found a baby black napped oriole in the pavement. It can't fly and the nest is nowhere to be seen. How often should I feed it and how much each time? Thanks for the information.

Hi Seajic and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds.

It is extremely difficult to raise such young birds and the failure rate is high. It would be much better to try and find a wildlife rescue centre (your local vet should know of one). I hope you find the above link helpful meantime. You could try giving it very small amounts of tinned cat food (not dog food) while waiting for assistance.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news. Please let us know how you get on.

I found a baby black napped oriole in the pavement. It can't fly and the nest is nowhere to be seen. How often should I feed it and how much each time? Thanks for the information.
hi, the same happen to me a week ago. I fed some mashed bananas using some tweezers every 2-3 hrs. I also called NParks. They will come get the bird :) Tel: 1800 476 1600 (Singapore) Ask them if its ok for you to put the baby bird in a box and collect from ur house, cos thts what i did.

How can you be involved

Seems to be pretty developed, might be a fledgling. Can you describe its behaviours when you found the bird, was it mobile and moving around on the ground? Did it attempt to fly or flap its wings in anyway.

Certain birds after a certain period of time leave their nests (usually after having developed their first plumage) and are only have a limited ability to fly and are still reliant on their parents. People are commonly tricked by a fledglings tame nature and limited flight ability into thinking that they are fallen nestlings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back