• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sarahmay73

United States
I will try to make this short. I found a hatchling on the sidewalk yesterday morning, I believe it had been placed there from the strong winds we had the night before. I could not find a nest anywhere, so I was going to bring it into the wildlife rescue center but both locations were an hour away, and the drive was bumpy. I didn’t want to risk the baby rolling around and suffocating or something. So eventually, I found the nearest nest. It was completely empty, no siblings or anything. But I put the baby in there and hoped mamma would come back. I checked on it an hour later and I saw an adult bird in the nest with baby, I thought this was good news! However, I went back to check today and poor baby was dead. There was another adult bird in the nest when I went to check, and the baby’s body had obviously been moved by something. I’m torn up by this, and I’m just wondering what y’all think might’ve happened? Could mamma bird have killed or something else? Thank you

Hi Sarah and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I can't really explain what happened. However, please don't blame yourself, you really did the right thing in trying to find a nest and putting it in there, as if it was the right nest it would give it the best chance. It's almost impossible for a human to rear such a young baby, even expert rehabbers have a very low success rate.

We do have some guidelines if you want to read them, in case you find another young bird: We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds. I hope they help you and you have better luck next time.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to Birdforum.

You did your best and the chances of finding the correct nest were very slight. Well done for trying.

Hi, Sarah. Welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Hi Sarah and a warm welcome to you! I'm sorry about your bit of disaster but there really isn't a whole lot you can do in this type of situation. This time of year, (breeding season) can be quite frustrating to those watching. Be proud of yourself for making an effort but like I said earlier, this is unfortunately a breeding season situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back