• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of Kowa BD II 6.5x32 XD (1 Viewer)

I love my kowa 6.5x32 but really want some lens hoods, mainly to protect the objectives from damage but also dew.

I don't mind if it's not a perfect solution, just pushing on some metal threaded lens hoods would be ok.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Steve.

Tonight for the first time I noticed the view glassing was better with my spectacles. While out walking I trained the Kowa 6.5x32 on Jupiter not expecting much. Surprisingly, very fine focusing - mine has an an almost Genesis smooth focusing wheel - brought the planet and the 4 moons into focus. This came as a surprise and so caused some slight doubt about what appeared to be clearly visible. Back to the house, where I mounted the Kowas and a SW spotting scope on tripods side by side. The scope confirmed that at least my particular model Kowa will show the Galilean Moons even hand held with patient precise focusing.

Mike

what made me keep the Kowa 6.5x was being able to see the North American nebula. Something I can’t do in the monarch 7 8x30, maven 6x30, or my meopta 8x32

what made me keep the Kowa 6.5x was being able to see the North American nebula. Something I can’t do in the monarch 7 8x30, maven 6x30, or my meopta 8x32
What is it about the Kowa that let's you see those things, and makes it your preference for stargazing over the other bins you listed .... ?

Chosun 👧

What is it about the Kowa that let's you see those things, and makes it your preference for stargazing over the other bins you listed .... ?

Chosun 👧
Technically, I’m not sure…but it’s very good at light transmission of the night sky

I prefer this for astronomy because of its relaxing views and it’s super wide fields. You can get large section of starfields for a “bigger story”.

widefield 7x35 have always been a favorite among many astronomers. I feel the Kowa 6.5x32 are just a modern version of that format

Tonight for the first time I noticed the view glassing was better with my spectacles. While out walking I trained the Kowa 6.5x32 on Jupiter not expecting much. Surprisingly, very fine focusing - mine has an an almost Genesis smooth focusing wheel - brought the planet and the 4 moons into focus. This came as a surprise and so caused some slight doubt about what appeared to be clearly visible. Back to the house, where I mounted the Kowas and a SW spotting scope on tripods side by side. The scope confirmed that at least my particular model Kowa will show the Galilean Moons even hand held with patient precise focusing.

Mike
Fast forward a year...Jupiter is at it's closest in many years. I've had the Kowa 6.5 out several times and find it picks up Jupiter and its Galilean moons nicely. The neighbor kids were thrilled when I handed them the Kowas and they viewed the moons themselves. Not sure they'd have been able to hold the 10x still enough. Fun to see them in awe. While the edges are pretty fuzzy, the FOV and crisp center view make the Kowa 6.5 a pleasure to use... night and day!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back