• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Update my Leupold Yosemite to Kowa? (1 Viewer)

Jaywalk

United States
We've probably had our Leupold 6x30 bins for 15 years - generally, its job is to sit under the front seat of the car for opportunistic viewing. What will I gain by updating it to a new set of Kowa YF 6x30? Coatings? Case? Objective covers? (My covers are long since lost.) We have no complains about our current set, but wonder if we're missing anything.

Maybe slightly better coatings but any difference will be exceedingly marginal. Yes you would get new accessories but I would try writing to leupold to ask if they stock any. I would guess they’ll send you some caps for free.

Good idea. Thanks.

Since I posted this question I have seen a statement (sorry, can't remember where) that the change was to packaging and, I think, brand management.

I'm now free to search for a pocket set of binoculars.

@Jaywalk Having had both YF and YF II in both 6x and 8x I think if there's any difference in optical performance is really minor. There's two things worth (?) mentioning:
  • Tripod exit. The new YFII has dedicated socket for tripod adaptor
  • Objective covers

But other than that, I'd say pick whatever is more convenient/near/safe/cheap/.

If it were me, I'd buy a new YFII.

Reasons:
  • I like the current green color
  • It's "assembled in Philippines" (for what that's worth I don't know)
  • Have a brand new bin
  • Would be fun to compare to the Yosemite
  • Why not it's cheap! (relatively speaking)

If it were me, I'd buy a new YFII.

Reasons:
  • I like the current green color
  • It's "assembled in Philippines" (for what that's worth I don't know)
  • Have a brand new bin
  • Would be fun to compare to the Yosemite
  • Why not it's cheap! (relatively speaking)

Opticron has a clone for a bit lower price than Kowa. But I agree about the green Kowa. It looks really good! It may be worth the extra price!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back