• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review: Opticron Traveller BGA ED 10x32 (1 Viewer)

Rotherbirder

United Kingdom
After much deliberation I decided to supplement my first-generation Swarovski 8x32EL with a 10x32 instrument, primarily to give a bit more reach when I don’t fancy carrying a scope and tripod. I opted to try a ‘real world’ alternative to the alpha 10x32s currently on the market as I find it difficult to justify shelling out an eye-watering £2k+ on a second binocular, and finally went with the Opticron Traveller ED.

Out of the box, the first thing that struck me was how physically tiny this binocular is! Its perhaps about as small as a 32mm binocular can be but, saying that, it feels ‘chunky’ and well made in the hand with a reassuring solidity and ‘heft’ that belies its polycarbonate chassis. Ergonomics are excellent with the focus wheel falling naturally under the index finger in ‘normal’ grip, the middle finger falling across the bridge and the third finger and ‘pinky’ gripping the barrel. The stated weight of 453g, achieved in part by using polycarbonate in its construction, means that carrying and using the binocular for long periods is neither uncomfortable nor a problem, though prospective users with large hands may find their small size difficult to handle comfortably.

The internals look to be well blackened/matted but, on my example, there are already more than a few motes of dust apparent in both barrels, though these don’t affect the view; disappointing but not a worry for the moment.

The untextured natural rubber armour seems tightly and securely fitted to the body and offers a comfortable, soft, non-slip grip. Shallow indents beneath each barrel are purely cosmetic as they offer no advantage whatsoever grip-wise. The simple, elegant appearance of the binocular is marred only by the prominent seams in the armour, running full-length, down the inside and outside of each barrel which is a shame, but doesn’t affect handling in any way.

Eyecups are plastic, covered with the same soft rubber and are comfortable in use. Between the down and fully extended positions there are two firm, intermediate detents where the eyecups snap quite definitely into place; however, there is a tiny bit of play in one of them which may indicate a possible problem in the future.

The rubberised focus wheel is large and moves smoothly and evenly in both directions; a bit ‘tight’ at first, this has now eased with use. Dioptre adjustment is via the customary ring below the right eyepiece, which is typical of many binoculars at this price point. It turns smoothly and with enough resistance not to worry about unintentional movement.

Hinge tension is spot on, making IPD setting easy and reliable.

Optically, the 10x32 Traveller is a delight. The image is bright, clear and sharp across the FOV with only the slightest discernible drop-off at the periphery and the large sweet-spot makes it virtually ‘flat field’. Colours are clean and neutral; CA is well-controlled and what little is visible takes some looking for – though I’m not particularly sensitive to it. In some conditions it can be pushed to show glare in the form of a slight ‘milkiness’ across the lower half of the FOV, but nothing too intrusive. Contrast, colour saturation and focus ‘snap’ are excellent but not quite as good as my trusty first-generation EL, despite boasting ED elements in the objectives. Depth of field is decent enough at distance but at closer range it is noticeably shallow and I find the need for frequent ‘tweaking’ to keep close, moving subjects such as insects in sharp focus. Stated FOV is 6.5 degrees/113m at 1000m which is average or a little below for a 10x32, but a huge FOV is not crucial for my needs. Despite its small size and 10x magnification, I find the Traveller surprisingly easy to hold to facilitate steady viewing.

The switch from 8x32 to 10x32 does take a little getting used to, with the smaller exit pupil making for more critical eye placement. Persistence with IPD and eye-cup settings (best at one notch in from fully extended for me to see the full FOV) is essential, so don’t give up on it too quickly as some experimentation will be necessary. The smaller FOV was the most apparent difference, though as I said earlier, this wasn’t a deal-breaker for me and I now find myself not really noticing it at all.

The supplied accessories - case, straps, lens-cloth, tethered objective covers & rainguard - are generally of very good quality though the latter offers such a tight fit that it can’t be removed in a hurry, leading to missed birds! I would recommend opting for the next size up which fits more loosely but still securely and largely solves this issue. The fact that the rainguard attaches to the neck-strap at only one end is also a bit quirky, and it may be worth considering a suitable alternative OEM rainguard if this is inconvenient for you.

In summary, the Traveller 10x32 is an excellent no-frills binocular which is an ideal choice as a second/back-up instrument. Fit and finish is very good and commensurate with its cost but optically it performs above its price point. Apart from a few minor quibbles and quirks – which no binocular is ever free from, even alpha models selling at many times the price – it should be high on the list of those looking for a small, high quality, reasonably priced, ‘serious’ binocular.

(With thanks to Pete Gamby for his help and advice).

Thanks for reading.

Paul

Last edited:
Great review.

Tight fitting rainguards seems to be a common problem these days. I had to ditch the rainguard on my Zeiss FL and replace it with a Zeiss classic rainguard. Also with my Zeiss SF I’ve had to shave off the raised ridges inside the rainguard so it doesn’t grip so tightly. Its like the accessories don’t get tested in the field.

After much deliberation I decided to supplement my first-generation Swarovski 8x32EL with a 10x32 instrument, primarily to give a bit more reach when I don’t fancy carrying a scope and tripod. I opted to try a ‘real world’ alternative to the alpha 10x32s currently on the market as I find it difficult to justify shelling out an eye-watering £2k+ on a second binocular, and finally went with the Opticron Traveller ED.

Out of the box, the first thing that struck me was how physically tiny this binocular is! Its perhaps about as small as a 32mm binocular can be but, saying that, it feels ‘chunky’ and well made in the hand with a reassuring solidity and ‘heft’ that belies its polycarbonate chassis. Ergonomics are excellent with the focus wheel falling naturally under the index finger in ‘normal’ grip, the middle finger falling across the bridge and the third finger and ‘pinky’ gripping the barrel. The stated weight of 453g, achieved in part by using polycarbonate in its construction, means that carrying and using the binocular for long periods is neither uncomfortable nor a problem, though prospective users with large hands may find their small size difficult to handle comfortably.

The internals look to be well blackened/matted but, on my example, there are already more than a few motes of dust apparent in both barrels, though these don’t affect the view; disappointing but not a worry for the moment.

The untextured natural rubber armour seems tightly and securely fitted to the body and offers a comfortable, soft, non-slip grip. Shallow indents beneath each barrel are purely cosmetic as they offer no advantage whatsoever grip-wise. The simple, elegant appearance of the binocular is marred only by the prominent seams in the armour, running full-length, down the inside and outside of each barrel which is a shame, but doesn’t affect handling in any way.

Eyecups are plastic, covered with the same soft rubber and are comfortable in use. Between the down and fully extended positions there are two firm, intermediate detents where the eyecups snap quite definitely into place; however, there is a tiny bit of play in one of them which may indicate a possible problem in the future.

The rubberised focus wheel is large and moves smoothly and evenly in both directions; a bit ‘tight’ at first, this has now eased with use. Dioptre adjustment is via the customary ring below the right eyepiece, which is typical of many binoculars at this price point. It turns smoothly and with enough resistance not to worry about unintentional movement.

Hinge tension is spot on, making IPD setting easy and reliable.

Optically, the 10x32 Traveller is a delight. The image is bright, clear and sharp across the FOV with only the slightest discernible drop-off at the periphery and the large sweet-spot makes it virtually ‘flat field’. Colours are clean and neutral; CA is well-controlled and what little is visible takes some looking for – though I’m not particularly sensitive to it. In some conditions it can be pushed to show glare in the form of a slight ‘milkiness’ across the lower half of the FOV, but nothing too intrusive. Contrast, colour saturation and focus ‘snap’ are excellent but not quite as good as my trusty first-generation EL, despite boasting ED elements in the objectives. Depth of field is decent enough at distance but at closer range it is noticeably shallow and I find the need for frequent ‘tweaking’ to keep close, moving subjects such as insects in sharp focus. Stated FOV is 6.5 degrees/113m at 1000m which is average or a little below for a 10x32, but a huge FOV is not crucial for my needs. Despite its small size and 10x magnification, I find the Traveller surprisingly easy to hold to facilitate steady viewing.

The switch from 8x32 to 10x32 does take a little getting used to, with the smaller exit pupil making for more critical eye placement. Persistence with IPD and eye-cup settings (best at one notch in from fully extended for me to see the full FOV) is essential, so don’t give up on it too quickly as some experimentation will be necessary. The smaller FOV was the most apparent difference, though as I said earlier, this wasn’t a deal-breaker for me and I now find myself not really noticing it at all.

The supplied accessories - case, straps, lens-cloth, tethered objective covers & rainguard - are generally of very good quality though the latter offers such a tight fit that it can’t be removed in a hurry, leading to missed birds! I would recommend opting for the next size up which fits more loosely but still securely and largely solves this issue. The fact that the rainguard attaches to the neck-strap at only one end is also a bit quirky, and it may be worth considering a suitable alternative OEM rainguard if this is inconvenient for you.

In summary, the Traveller 10x32 is an excellent no-frills binocular which is an ideal choice as a second/back-up instrument. Fit and finish is very good and commensurate with its cost but optically it performs above its price point. Apart from a few minor quibbles and quirks – which no binocular is ever free from, even alpha models selling at many times the price – it should be high on the list of those looking for a small, high quality, reasonably priced, ‘serious’ binocular.

(With thanks to Pete Gamby for his help and advice).

Thanks for reading.

Paul
Seven months on and just an update on impressions of the 10x32 Opticron Traveller ED in light of experiences in use. As mentioned in my review above, the 'imprecise' eyecup has started to shift during use. This minor issue isn't insurmountable with the help of a rubber 'O'-ring or two but it really shouldn't happen. The view is still as satisfying given the price of the instrument but it lacks the precise focus 'snap' of the Swarovski, which I do miss but, at the price I shouldn't grumble. The option to carry a small, virtually weightless 10x32 binocular when required is very welcome and this fine binocular from Opticron should still be on the shortlist for prospective low to mid-tier 10x binocular buyers.

Will continue to update if/as necessary.

Paul

Last edited:
I have the 8x32 and my experience mirrors yours pretty well. I don’t find the field particularly flat but the sweet spot is large enough that I don’t notice it that much. CA is well controlled except at the edges where, again, I don’t notice it. The eye relief is adequate for a glasses water and blackouts are minimal but not entirely absent. The focus though just kills me. My 94 Swarovski SLC just snap into focus and everything is sharp, while the Travellers muddle around the optimal focus before finally hitting it. Maybe it’s a depth of field thing but I’m constantly adjusting focus to get the sharpest view. For the price they’re pretty excellent though

Last edited:
This might be what I am looking for in a 10x but....one I can use as my occasional birding bin. I say that, for I am more into my 8x or 7x at the moment and any 10x now is my occasional, even my Leica Noctovid. So, it would be in good company if nothing else.

I have had the 8x32 Travelers and have evaluated them. I wish....when comparing Travelers to the Opticron Verano (8x), that the Verano line would include a 10x32, as the Verano 8x is better than the Traveler 8x. But sadly, there is no option in the Verano line for a 10x32, so Traveler is it.

Interestingly I was out cleaning Bluebird boxes yesterday and looking for a box through the Travellers I suddenly noticed the monster glare these present. I couldn't move eye position to reduce it. NOW I know what people are referring to when they say monster glare. Normally I use mine in a forested environment so it isn't a factor but WOW was it bad.

That is why I bought the Veranos. (Glare= travelers). Now you can mitigate some of the glare if you close the eye piece by one notch. But that can’t always be done. The Verano 8x is a very nice binocular for the money.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back