• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Shotgun mics with 3.5mm plug? (1 Viewer)

HarryJ

Hi,
I would like to hear about your recent experiences on super/hypercardoid shotgun microphones that can be plugged to a 3.5mm (1/8 ") socket found on cheaper recorders. I'am looking for a price range or about 100 euro/100 USD.

I know that some mics with XLRs can be connected with a suitable power source + cable to these recorders, but I am not really interested in that option (e.g. ME66+K6).

A few years ago a mic called Sennheiser MKH300 (followed by MKH400) was suitable for this job, but I think they are not manufactured any more.

Röde NTG-2 is not quite good as it has a XLR connection and has a low signal.

ATR6550 has very mixed reviews, so I would be suspicious in using one of these for important recordings.

Any other suitable mics around?

Harry J

What about the Rode Videomic? I've never used one, but it seems to fit your criteria. I believe they're intended to sit on an SLR.

Pshute,
thanks for pointing out this mic. It seems have reasonable specs and is quite interesting. The warranty seems pretty good too, maybe that's why the price is quite high (about double to the old MKE300 price).

Anybody out there tried the Rode Videomic.

How good is the gain switch option in real life?

Any other reasonable shotgun mics with a 3.5mm plug?
Harry

This recording from 2011 is done by H4n and Rode Videomic and a deadcat attached for wind.
It records into both channels but only mono (same signal in each channel).
Good sound and OK to carry around. Uses a 9V battery, bring spares!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back