• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ring necked parakeet (2 Viewers)

davidten31

My wife managed to video on her phone a Ring necked parakeet feeding in our garden this morning. We live in Brasside.
Also had a Sparrowhawk sat next to my feeders.
Are parakeets this far north or do you think this is a captive bird which has escaped.

There is a decent population of them in Hartlepool (Ward Jackson Park) and they seem to be spreading. There's been a few in the South Tyneside area this year aswell and the odd sighting elsewhere even into Northumberland.

Thanks for your reply adam, the parakeet came back this morning and our lass managed to get a couple of photo's through the window. Im on nights at the moment so I will try to get some better images of it later on in the week if it is still around.

parakeet 7.JPG.parakeet 6.JPG

Some better images of it from today.

Attachments

• DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 271
  • DSC_0024.jpg
    DSC_0024.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC_0026.jpg
    DSC_0026.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC_0029.JPG
    DSC_0029.JPG
    713.5 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC_0044.jpg
    DSC_0044.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 130
Parakeet sighting in Newto Hall, Durham

We have three times witnessed an exotic visitor to our garden in old part of Newton Hall estate, outskirts of Durham City. We had presumed a ring-necked parakeet, but on getting a better picture today, we note the beak colour is not at all red, but rather grey. On reading, I am wondering if this may be due to malnutrition or if it is a different variety of parakeet altogether. I'd be interested in any comments. Assuming it is a parakeet I am guessing it may be a female as ring markings are not distinct. It seem to be feeding mainly on ivy flowers at present.

Attachments

• Parakeet.jpg
    Parakeet.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 152
We have three times witnessed an exotic visitor to our garden in old part of Newton Hall estate, outskirts of Durham City. We had presumed a ring-necked parakeet, but on getting a better picture today, we note the beak colour is not at all red, but rather grey. On reading, I am wondering if this may be due to malnutrition or if it is a different variety of parakeet altogether. I'd be interested in any comments. Assuming it is a parakeet I am guessing it may be a female as ring markings are not distinct. It seem to be feeding mainly on ivy flowers at present.

It's actually an Orange-winged Amazon (Amazona amazonica). Like you say, it lacks the red bill of a Ring-necked Parakeet, and doesn't have a ring around the neck or a long tail. An expensive loss for someone - a quick Google check showed prices of £300-£500 each...

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back