• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Riverside Nature Park, Dundee. (1 Viewer)

More on dogs.... and birds

Yes I wrote something for local papers following our Flag day. 200+ cases of dog poo.
Please speak to dog owners all of you who visit the park and comment on this event and future similar events.
I have found that Carnoustie Canine Capers has a Green Dogowners Group so will follow that up.
Birds- yesterday 1 Swallow and more Tree Sparrows. Today as the tide went out still 1 Curlew Sandpiper and 1 Ruff as well as a stunning 100% sum plum Bartailed Godwit and adult LBB Gull. Also Great Spot W`pecker, Magpie, Bullfinch and Treecreeper.
I also told 2 birders about Barry`s walk tomorrow and improved the view from the hide.
Hope the walk goes well. Ian

In case anyone is unaware, I will be leading a bird walk around the Nature Park tomorrow morning (Saturday) from 9am. All are welcome. Meet in the car park. Hopefully we'll see lots of birds (including the Pink Footed Geese in the bay, and possibly some nice vis-mig species).

I hope it goes well Barry - sorry I can't manage.

Did anyone go to David Lindo's talk the other night?

We went to the David Lindo talk - very funny and a very good talk/presentation. There was the best part of 70 people there. I would thoroughly recommend seeing him if you get the chance. Alternatively, save up a grand an go on one of his UrbanBirder tours.

I'm glad you enjoyed it Richard.... sounds like it was a good evening.

A long day at the park, from 0830 till 1550 resulting in a total of 48 species including a new patch tick for my own list. Picked up my first bird of the day as I entered at the eastern end of the park with a small flock of Long Tailed Tits in the trees. Heard and then saw the Magpie again. A flock of Starlings were over towards the airport.

Headed to the car park to see if anyone would turn up for the guided walk. There were 12 of us when we set off up the hill, hoping for some vis-mig and some Pink Feet in the bay. Picked up a Song Thrush from the car park before we set off. Unfortunately the majority of geese had overflown me as I got off the bus, however we were in luck as 6 Pinkies flew a circuit of the bay before heading off north. A few Meadow Pipits and some Skylarks were the only vis-mig in evidence. The tide was fully in, but a Scaup (a new patch tick for me) and a male Goldeneye were seen. Cormorants were seen round towards Kingoodie, and a few Teal and Mallards were in the bay with the Herring Gulls.

We headed downhill and round to the Lochan where Mute Swans, Mallards and Teal were seen quite well. A Yellowhammer was in the hedge nearby and eventually gave us decent views. A Buzzard was mobbed by a Carrion Crow over our heads giving great views. We walked on towards Buzzard Wood where lots of Chaffinches, plus Goldfinches and Greenfinches were much in evidence. A few Blue Tits foraged around in the bushes. A wren burst into song as we watched. The Magpie was spotted flying over the road in the direction of the car park and a surprise was had when I spotted an aerial tussle which turned out to be a Kestrel being harassed by a second Magpie. We had a flyover Siskin here too, then wandered towards the car park in the sunshine. Small groups of Pink Footed Geese flew over sporadically as we walked round the park. A Collared Dove and Woodpigeons as well as Feral Pigeons were also seen flying by. A very confiding Bank Vole was found by some of the party and photographed (I missed it).

We walked round towards the hide following the path by the bay, stopping to see if there was many waders around. A couple of Dunlin and a small flock of Redshanks flew in as we watched. A Great Black Backed Gull and 2 Lesser Black Backeds were with the Herring Gulls, and Black Headed Gull and a few Common Gulls were on the mud. Round at the hide we added a single Curlew and a distant Bar Tailed Godwit, before finding a single Oystercatcher on the mud. A few Jackdaws were around the pipe and a pair of Grey Wagtails flew out of sight behind the trees to the south of the hide. There was also a single Wigeon feeding along just offshore.

A pair of Pied Wagtails were seen later as we headed back to the car park. We had a total of 42 species by the end of the walk, which was a very decent total for a 2 and a half hour walk around the park.

I decided to see if I could add anything to the list on my own and managed to see a distant bird in the grass beyond the compost area. I took a couple of photos of what I thought was a Wheatear but the bird was disturbed by an angler on a bike who appeared from the area he shouldn't have been in. Looking at the photos showed it was a Wheatear. Bumped into another birder further round and we watched the waders working along the mud. A few Grey Herons were on the pipe with 7 Cormorants also (5 at end, 2 near the Herons). There was a pair of Black Tailed Godwits feeding together but nothing anymore exotic. Spoke to a local whose house looks onto the park who told me about a sighting from before the park opened of a big black cat prowling through the cow fields. That would be a nice addition to the mammal list....

Caught up with the other birder again at Buzzard Wood where lots of smaller birds were feeding and bathing in among the undergrowth. A pair of Goldcrests showed really well, and a rather scruffy Chiffchaff which had just had a bath popped up too. A Grey Heron flew towards us but veered off towards the airport.

I wandered back towards the Lochan picking up a nice Reed Bunting in the bushes at the west end of Buzzard Wood. A Dunnock showed really well in the trees on the hill near the Lochan, but despite a lot of effort I wasn't able to add anything else to the list. I did catch a rear view of a brown raptor over Invergowrie, which seemed long winged and narrow tailed but the photos were over exposed and show nothing too helpful. Hen Harrier or maybe a late Marsh Harrier? Either would've been good to get.

Full list was - Bar Tailed Godwit (1), Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Black tailed Godwit (2), Blue Tit, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff (1), Collared Dove (1), Common Gull, Cormorant (7), Curlew (3), Dunlin, Dunnock, Goldcrest (2), Goldeneye (1), Goldfinch, Great Black Backed Gull (2), Greenfinch, Grey Heron (4), Grey Wagtail (2), Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Kestrel (1), Lesser Black Backed Gull (2), Long Tailed Tit, Magpie (2), Mallard, Meadow Pipit, Mute Swan (2), Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail (2), Pink Footed Goose (150+), Redshank, Reed Bunting (1), Robin, Feral Pigeon, Scaup (1), Siskin (2), Song Thrush (2), Starling (10+), Teal, Wheatear (1), Wigeon (1), Woodpigeon, Wren, Yellowhammer.

Probably about time for an updated full list of what has been seen at the park. All 132 species. (Listed in groups of 10)

Cormorant, Grey Heron, Mute Swan, Shelduck, Wigeon, Teal, Mallard, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Osprey,

Kestrel, Oystercatcher, Lapwing, Knot, Curlew Sandpiper, Dunlin, Black Tailed Godwit, Bar Tailed Godwit, Whimbrel, Curlew,

Redshank, Greenshank, Common Sandpiper, Black Headed Gull, Common Gull, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Herring Gull, Sandwich Tern, Feral Pigeon, Stock Dove,

Woodpigeon, Swift, Skylark, Sand Martin, Swallow, House Martin, Meadow Pipit, Pied/White Wagtail, Wren, Dunnock,

Robin, Stonechat, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Whitethroat, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Long Tailed Tit, Coal Tit,

Blue Tit, Great Tit, Jackdaw, Rook, Carrion Crow, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch,

Linnet, Lesser Redpoll, Bullfinch, Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting, Goosander, Pink Footed Goose, Wheatear, Mistle Thrush, Goldcrest,

Grey Partridge, Pheasant, Great Black Backed Gull, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Fieldfare, Redwing, Grey Wagtail, Siskin, Whooper Swan, Red Breasted Merganser,

Goldeneye, Greylag Goose, Dipper, Brambling, Peregrine, Shoveler, Pintail, Sedge Warbler, Little Gull, Common Tern,

Tufted Duck, Eider, Turnstone, Mediterranean Gull, Long Tailed Duck, Red Kite, Lesser Whitethroat, Canada Goose, Ruff, Tree Pipit,

Spotted Redshank, Spotted Flycatcher, Scaup, Guillemot, Little Grebe, Shag, Magpie, Jay, Tree Sparrow, Collared Dove,

White Tailed Eagle, Brent Goose, Snipe, Treecreeper, Kingfisher, Ringed Plover, waxwing, Short Eared Owl, Long Eared Owl, Woodcock,

Green Winged Teal, Jack Snipe, Green Woodpecker, Mealy Redpoll, Crane, Wood Sandpiper, Red Backed Shrike, Marsh Harrier, Fulmar, Little Egret,

Blue Headed (Yellow) Wagtail, Yellow Browed Warbler

1-84 2011 (June-Dec)
85-120 2012
121-132 2013

Had a break from birding across the water in Fife today and popped down to the park for a couple of hours. Managed 36 species, and the quality was pretty decent. Spoke to another visitor who is totally against the P&R. Yet to find anyone who is fully supportive of it. Anyway, best birds were 2 Ruff again, Great Spotted woodpecker (male), Stock Dove, Fieldfares overhead and a Wheatear at the hill. No sign of the Magpie(s). A possible Curlew Sandpiper (in flight) on one of my photos but the Dunlin are such a mix of plumage and sizes right now that I have several candidates for the bird on the mud, but none wholly convincing.

Bar tailed Godwit (15 including a very orange one), Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Cormorant, Dunlin, Dunnock, Fieldfare (4), Goldcrest (2), Goldfinch (2), Great Spotted Woodpecker (2), Great Tit (1), Grey Heron (2), Jackdaw, Kestrel (1), Long Tailed Tit (10), Mallard, Pink Footed Goose (9), Redshank, Reed Bunting (2), Robin, Feral Pigeon, Ruff (2), Siskin (1), Skylark (2), Song Thrush (1), Sparrowhawk (1), Starling, Stock Dove (1), Teal, Wheatear (1), Wigeon (5), Woodpigeon, Yellowhammer.

Brambling, Wren and Coal Tit heard only.

A massive well done to Dundee City Councillors who rejected the park and ride at the park. The proposal did not even manage a seconder, so it failed. Well chuffed. And shocked.

In all the excitement of the P&R being binned, I forgot to post a report from Sunday.....
Popped down to the park for a few hours, hoping that the weather would remain dry, and that maybe some migrants had popped in for shelter. Was at the park from 11am until 2.20pm and managed 37 species. Nothing too exciting but a couple of vismig overflights (Fieldfares again along with Skylarks and Meadow Pipit). Probably the most interesting sighting was a small flock of mostly Reed Buntings (around 10?) with a Robin, a couple of Goldfinches and 2 Dunnocks feeding in the fenced off area down from the hill overlooking the bay, to the north of the overgrown viewing point. Certainly the most Reed Buntings I've seen together. Now if that flock could just maybe pick up a couple of Snow Buntings, or Lapland Buntings....

full list was - Bar Tailed Godwit, Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Buzzard (1), Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Common Gull, Cormorant (1), Curlew, Dunlin (300+), Dunnock (2), Fieldfare, Goldcrest (1), Goldfinch, Great Black Backed Gull, Great Tit, Grey Heron, Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Lesser Redpoll, Linnet (1), Mallard, Meadow Pipit, Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail (1), Pink Footed Goose, Redshank, Reed Bunting (c10), Robin, Feral Pigeon, Skylark, Song Thrush, Teal, Woodpigeon, Wren, Yellowhammer.

Popped down for a few hours late morning, although the forecast wasn't promising. Managed 29 species, and bumped into Ian Ford who had been watching Red Admiral and Comma butterflies (the latter a new species for the site) in the sheltered area between the trees and where the Red Backed Shrike was.

Full list - Bar Tailed Godwit, Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Buzzard (4+), Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Common Gull, Cormorant (1), Curlew (1), Dunlin (30+), Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Grey Heron (2), Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Lesser Black Backed Gull (1), Mallard, Mute Swan (2), Oystercatcher (1), Redshank, Reed Bunting (2), Robin, Feral Pigeon, Song Thrush (1), Starling (2), Teal, Woodpigeon, Wren (1).

Last edited:
my car had to go in the garage for the second time in two weeks and is also booked in later this week,i decided to head for the park after dropping it off and spending the day in the park,i arrived in the park 9.30 am and left at 3.55 pm,i really enjoyed this extended visit plus it made me forget my worries about my final repair bill for a whole day :t: , I was surprised how quickly the hours passed,31 species seen including one that has eluded me here for a while (blackcap /male)I also experienced a new call from a long tailed which jumped out from a bush right next to me giving a really piercing call (probably alarm ) a flock of approx. 60 redwings flying over were one of the first birds seen,at the hide the tide was just going out but only 12 redshanks plus one dunlin appeared ,later when the tide was further out 13 bar tailed godwits landed, there were several migrant blackbirds just around from the hide in the thicket beside the road tunnel, the lochan was busiest about 10.30 am , I counted 6 dunlin,51 teals, 17 mallards, 2 mutes,jackdaws/carrion crows/bh gulls visited later in the day,one of the dunlin stayed on the lochan all day and was feeding in close proximity to a mute plus some ducks, while standing at buzzard wood I noticed some white in the trees opposite which looked out of place ,turned out to be a female sparrowhawks lower breastfeathers blowing about, I later had another 2 sightings of female sparrowhawks (1 lochan area pursued by crows/second at the hide)2 buzzards flew up together from the marshy area beside buzzard wood,i heard a pied wagtail at the dump area but couldn,t locate it ,I also had a probable female reedbunting being blown about along with a stock dove in similar circumstances, there was a bird scarer going off for a couple of hours at the runway and I thought I would dip on the pinkfeets, but just as I was leaving a v column of 14 birds flew over

list in order of birds seen

herring gull/redwing/robin/grey wagtail/blackbird/blackcap/teal/carrion crow/wood pigeon/chaffinch/mallard/redshank/feral pidgeon/bh gull/dunlin/blue tit/mute swan/jackdaw/dunnock x2/buzzard x3/oystercatcher/bar tailed godwit/cormorant/starling x1/ long tailed tit x6/heron/sparrowhawk/goldfinch/curlew/wren x1/great tit

Attachments

• dunlinb.jpg
    dunlinb.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 84
  • goldfinchb.jpg
    goldfinchb.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 49
  • mixb.jpg
    mixb.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 60
  • godwitsb.jpg
    godwitsb.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 68
  • cloudb.jpg
    cloudb.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Spent a few hours this morning at the park in the sunshine. Overall quite quiet but still managed 33 species, though nothing too unusual. The tide was on its way back out when I got there with most of the waders towards the reeds at the Invergowrie side of the bay. Around 6 Bar Tailed Godwits flew in to join the Dunlin, Oystercatchers and Redshanks. There was a Great Black Backed Gull on the pipe. The Carrion Crows were harassing the Buzzard and Kestrel at various times. The Lochan was partially frozen with only Black Headed Gulls around there. A small flock of Lesser Redpolls and Siskins were at Buzzard Wood.

Full list - Bar tailed Godwit (c6), Black Headed Gull, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Common Gull (1), Cormorant, Dunlin, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Great Black Backed Gull, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Herring Gull, House Sparrow (2), Jackdaw, Kestrel (1), Lesser Redpoll, Mallard, Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail (1), Pink Footed Goose (c30), Redshank, Reed Bunting (1), Robin, Feral Pigeon, Shelduck (1), Siskin, Skylark (4), Starling, Teal, Wren, Yellowhammer (1).

I had my first day out in a week today :Cmy car is now roadworthy (council taxi rules)I knew it would be quiet here but thought I would pop in before heading for fife searching for stonechats,i seen 2 species which were first of the year for me, the first was a flock of fieldfares in a tree just before you come to the generator, one single bird flew off and landed on a wire, turned out this bird was a mistle thrush, I drove past it and took some pics but noticed it didn,t bother with all the traffic,i reversed back and was sitting right under the bird, 30 mins later I could still see it from buzzard wood,the second species and a new bird for me here was a group of 6 whoopers sitting on the mud in front of the hide,2 of the birds were feeding but the others sleeping, there was a flock of blackbirds across from the generator 3 of the birds were the all black variety

Attachments

• whoopers.JPG
    whoopers.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 77
  • whoopers2.JPG
    whoopers2.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 62
  • bbirds.JPG
    bbirds.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 68
  • thrush.JPG
    thrush.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 62
  • robin.JPG
    robin.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 56
Spent the morning promoting the park at the West End community fayre then popped home to pick up the birding gear before heading back to the Park for a couple of hours in the winter sunshine. A Mistle Thrush was on the wires by the road, and Blackbirds and a few Song Thrushes were around too. Five Redwings showed up later too. In Buzzard Wood there was a nice mix of finches with Siskin, Lesser Redpoll, Goldfinches and Chaffinches around in small numbers. There was a flock of Long Tailed Tits with a few other birds that I didn't get a decent look at in the single tree overlooking the bay near where the paths meet at the bottom of the hill. Blue Tit and Great Tit were together at the rear of Buzzard Wood and Robins and Wrens were dotted around the park. The tide was well out and the strong sunlight made picking out much in the bay quite difficult. Mallards were roosting by the burn outflow, and a pair were mating a bit further out, which was a bit of a surprise at this time of year. There were Teal along the edge of the mud and Redshanks were foraging around on the mud. There were a few Oystercatchers as well, but other waders appeared to be in short supply. There were Curlews feeding on the grass at the airport, and I spooked a Woodcock from the corner of the trees in the field behind the car park - the first of this winter. Did have a wee walk through some of the flooded area near Buzzard Wood but no sign of any Snipe species, though I didn't try too hard. Herring, Common and Black Headed Gulls were around in the bay but the lochan was completely frozen over. Carrion Crows and a few Jackdaws were visible mostly to the north towards Ninewells. A few Feral Pigeons were around at the bay, and there were a couple of Woodpigeons seen as well. A Pied Wagtail flew over and there was a flock of Starlings over by the airport fringes.

27 species seen - Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Chaffinch, Common Gull, Curlew, Goldfinch, Great Tit (1), Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Lesser Redpoll (4), Long Tailed Tit (6+), Mallard, Mistle Thrush (1), Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail (1), Redshank, Redwing (5), Robin, Feral Pigeon, Siskin, Song Thrush, Teal, Woodcock (1), Woodpigeon, Wren.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back