• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Roadrunner, turtles and Mourning Doves (1 Viewer)

Meant to leave earlier this morning but had a bit of a hangover. Considered staying in bed but the wind had died down and temps in the low 20s C. I was expecting nothing at Corn Cr. but as usual I got a couple of new ones. This place hasn't disappointed me once. I finally got some shots of a pair of hunting Greater Roadrunners. If you think it's tough getting shots of birds flying from place to place, try a Roadrunner. I heard their call for the first time. Odd sound for a bird to make. I got some shots but nothing very good. I also ran across a new turtle and my first Bull Frogs. The male American Kestrel is still hanging around and I also spotted what may be a Bank Swallow. All I ever saw was black wings and white belly, and a fast erratic flight.

I have two Mourning Doves coming to my feeder regularly. I love their call

Any chance of posting a picture? Us Europeans have only seen Roadrunners in cartoons! Beep Beep! P.S hope the hangovers eased off.

I found drinking yogurt to be the best hangover cure!

I second the request for a roadrunner, I even have to admit that I only think of them in terms of the cartoons! Having said that, did the Guys who invented Woodie-Woodpecker actually know what a woodpecker looked like?

So shots please, don't mind if you think they are bad.

Cheers Chuck,

yes I would agree with booga either milk or yogurt.The only thing i saw was a large red headed woodpecker.I was at a wildlife mgmt. area enjoying the weekend with my two sons & husband I really enjoyed it.

Thanks. I posted a series of three shots in the gallery. They never ever stopped. They're one of my favorite birds though. I like to think that small dinosaurs back in the day looked and hunted a lot like roadrunners,.

The call I heard was a kind of cooing with a chatter? It sounded a lot like venation blinds in just the right wind. Or a Bull Frog?

One point about the cartoons (OK they're some of my favorites) roadrunners can actually fly. They're not very good at it, only marginally better then chickens, and they do not Beep Beep.

You should all try one of those liquid yoghurts BEFORE drinking. This averts a hangover would you believe!

I think they call them "cultures"

Susan;)

The bird I really, really wanted to see on a trip to the West Coast of the US was Roadrunner.

The only one that was seen was whilst driving and I was asleep in the back of the van and missed it!

When I heard about the Camo contest, the first thing I thought of was Roadrunners. I saw these two only after they emerged from the brush ( at a dead run) . You have to be pretty close to see one and in open desert, that's hard to do.

I saw one on a patio by a pool near Redlands in S. Cal. Didn't believe my friends when they said there was a regular Roadrunner in their garden until it showed up. I used to be an athlete so Roadrunner was top of my list of birds to see back then.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back