• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rock-Thrush WC Madagascar Help Needed (1 Viewer)

Steve, Monticola sharpei was split into M. sharpei and M. erythronotus following Goodman and Weigt (2002). erythronotus being known now as Amber Mountain Rock thrush

Steve, Monticola sharpei was split into M. sharpei and M. erythronotus following Goodman and Weigt (2002). erythronotus being known now as Amber Mountain Rock thrush

Hi Martin,
Yes, I have the ref. in my footnotes for the treatment of these bird in HBW Vol. 10. However, as defined by HBW, sharpei has a coastal eastern distribution and their interpretation of erythronotus (Amber Mountain Rock-Thrush) has it very restricted and only in a small zone of extreme N Madagascar - only on and around Mt. Amber. So, the problem remains - in the locale in which the bird in question was shot - what is it? My problem is that I do not have any further information that this ill-defined WC Madagascar ranging taxon has been fully understood and was wondering if anyone had newer and further information. The HBW is of no help only mentioning that there may be an undescribed species in this zone, or that it may be an intergrade between erythronotus and sharpei (though given the distribution of this latter it would be hard for me to understand given that there is quite a distance between the understood range of sharpei (as defined by HBW) and where this bird was shot!), and I can advance the same reflection in relation to the defined restricted HBW distribution of erythronotus.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Rob,
I think the African Bird Club article included some photos of the undescribed taxon - don't know if those articles are still on-line on their site though.

EDIT: This comment is redundant. James stuck a link to that article under his photo.

Last edited:
forest rock thrush puzzle

Hi again

Here is the African Birds link referred to above

http://www.africanbirdclub.org/feature/rkthrush.html

And here is my second photo of the bird I saw in June this year, looks pretty similar to the one seen in 1995 but my untrained eyes can not confirm!

Lets hope this helps someone solve this puzzle!

James

Attachments

• Forest Rock Thrush - TBC - for BF.jpg
    Forest Rock Thrush - TBC - for BF.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 88
Hi James,
Thanks for the other photo. I have the feeling that this taxon has not been understood unless there are papers in the pipeline and not yet published. I do not even know if anyone is looking further at this bird in Madagascar. I may try to scare up an e-mail for Nick Garbutt, or the Authors of "Birds of the Indian Ocean Islands" and just ask one of them. I think someone is getting set to publish a new Madagascar bird guide, but can't recall who.

It is probably best to rename these photos "Pseudocossyphus sp." (instead of Monticola because BF still uses the Sibley-Monroe), and annotate the exact locale while mentioning that its' taxonomic status is not clear as yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back