• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rooks hitting “hard”times? (1 Viewer)

KenM

Not living near agricultural land, I don’t often encounter Rooks, occasionally getting a flyover albeit certainly not annually.
It came as a surprise to me sitting in Costa’s (Epping) c6 miles North of my abode, when I noted a Feral pigeon,Jackdaw and a freshly arrived “Rook” on the kerb (not where I would expect to see one?).
With the latter taking pole position on kerb edge, clearly showing interest in the (out of view) gutter.
Upon leaving, I strolled over to the kerb side to see a discarded “sausage roll”, didn’t realise that Rooks scavenged…but it was a -3 day😮

Attachments

• IMG_9740.jpeg
    IMG_9740.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9747.jpeg
    IMG_9747.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
Rooks at Slimbridge WWT are as habituated by taking tourists' offerings as Jackdaws, Magpies or Carrion Crows (in fact its an ace place to photograph them, just ignore the collection!) Like other corvids they are intelligent opportunists albeit with a traditionalist lifestyle given the chance.

John

Rooks at Slimbridge WWT are as habituated by taking tourists' offerings as Jackdaws, Magpies or Carrion Crows (in fact its an ace place to photograph them, just ignore the collection!) Like other corvids they are intelligent opportunists albeit with a traditionalist lifestyle given the chance.

John

Indeed. It is also the case at motorway services where Rooks will scrabble around the carparks & bins at for instance Reading and Sedgemoor Services.

All the best

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back