• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rosefinch in Tajikistan (1 Viewer)

PhilSteiner

Tajikistan
I took these photos yesterday in the mountains a half hour north of Dushanbe, Tajikistan. I'm wanting to make sure I'm right in eliminating Common Rosefinch. Streaking seems far too heavy for that (also, Common Rosefinches are gone until spring, but of course an overwintering one wouldn't be unthinkable). If we can safely eliminate Common, then I believe this to be Red-mantled, but I'd appreciate input or confirmation. The bird lacks a distinct supercilum as we'd expect in Blyth's; the streaking on the mantle is more distinct than Red-fronted or Great; the bird lacks any yellowish plumage (as far as I can tell...but then I'm red-green color blind) as you'd expect in Red-fronted, although my field guide does say that juvenile Red-fronteds lack yellow coloration. The bird wasn't vocalizing.

Thanks for any input!

Attachments

• DSCN1104rosefinch.JPG
    DSCN1104rosefinch.JPG
    721.8 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN1108rosefinch.JPG
    DSCN1108rosefinch.JPG
    574 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN1110rosefinch.JPG
    DSCN1110rosefinch.JPG
    582.9 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN1113rosefinch.JPG
    DSCN1113rosefinch.JPG
    752.5 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN1116rosefinch.JPG
    DSCN1116rosefinch.JPG
    728.7 KB · Views: 35
I have no personal experience with these species but I think you're correct in your reasoning. Certainly not Common, not Great for me, and as you say, I would expect Blyth's to show more of a supercilium. Red-fronted has a notably irregularly-shaped or crooked bill and is weakly streaked on the upperparts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back