• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Saltholme (3 Viewers)

Unless someone knows something I don't (and if they do they're in big trouble) then I believe it's a typo. Just the 2 owls from the watchpoint today.

Unless someone knows something I don't (and if they do they're in big trouble) then I believe it's a typo. Just the 2 owls from the watchpoint today.

cheers
a lot of years since ive seen a 20+ roost nevermind 30 !
2 is nice enough - remember watching a couple roosting on the ground with a large group of Short-eareds on N.Tees marshes not far from Saltholme some years back.

On the subject of LEO's we have changed the routine slightly to try and make best use of our resources.

With plenty of birds now returning to the reserve and lots of people coming to see them we don't have the resources to man the Owl Watchpoint all day every day. Instead we will be running a walk down to the Watchpoint at 13:00 during weekdays so anyone coming to the reserve specifically to see the owls will still have the opportunity to do so.

At 14:00 the hide guides will then leave the watchpoint and return to normal duties. Over the weekend we anticipate more visitors so will run the watchpoint as we have been doing over the holidays from 11:00-14:00.

Everyone has been very respectful of our request not to look for owls outside the watchpoint hours and keeping to the paths. We'd like to thank all who have come down for the LEO's for behaving so well and the fact that the owls are in the exact same position each day shows how beneficial not getting too close is.

Please can you pass on the above information to any non BirdForum members who might be planning a visit

Thanking you :)

Please be aware we are having work done at Haverton on Monday (which may run into Tuesday) so there will be no Owl Watchpoint or access to Haverton on Monday (and possibly Tuesday). If you are wanting to see the owls please contact the reserve on 01642 546625 where you will recieve the most up to date information. Please pass this information on to anyone you know who may be visiting the reserve next week.

Thanking you

went for my first time today, and it is fantastic. I was delighted by the friendliness of the staff and fellow birders. I'm only 13.. (well, 14 tomorrow) but I didn't feel out of place.
I'm definitely going to be joining the pheonix group for 13-18 yr olds and attending the events they do , too :)

Yellow wagtail (lifer)
wheatear (lifer)
Linnet (lifer)
shoveler duck (lifer)
gadwall duck (lifer)
pink-footed goose (lifer)
Grey heron
Little Egret (lifer)
Reed bunting (lifer)
Shelduck (lifer)
common tern (lifer)
meadow pipit (lifer)
swallow
lapwing
sand martin

Last edited:
went for my first time today, and it is fantastic. I was delighted by the friendliness of the staff and fellow birders. I'm only 13.. (well, 14 tomorrow) but I didn't feel out of place.
I'm definitely going to be joining the pheonix group for 13-18 yr olds and attending the events they do , too :)

Yellow wagtail (lifer)
wheatear (lifer)
Linnet (lifer)
shoveler duck (lifer)
gadwall duck (lifer)
pink-footed goose (lifer)
Grey heron
Little Egret (lifer)
Reed bunting (lifer)
Shelduck (lifer)
common tern (lifer)
meadow pipit (lifer)
swallow
lapwing
sand martin

Really good to hear you had such a good time and we look forward to helping you seeing many more birds and meeting lots of friendly faces over the years

2 drake Garganey, 2 Greenshank, 3 Avocet (including a colour ringed bird from last year), 7 Little Ringed Plover (taking today's reserve total to 12) and 4 Ringed Plover on Port Clarence Flash this evening. Also today Wood Sand on Bottom Tank, Whimbrel in front of the VC and on Back Saltholme, 1st summer Med Gull on Paddy's Pool with 50+ Common Tern and 40+ Swift over the Widlife Watchpoint at close down.

My wife and I were at Saltholme yesterday and we had a smashing visit. From the staff who gave us some help with our new venture into photograghy and digiscoping, to the lads we met in the hide who helped us see the wood sand and garganey amongst others. There was so much happening we just missed a Whimbrel in all the excitement. We got some nice pics and learned a great deal. Thanks to all who helped us, we,ll be back very shortly:t:

I just want to say a big thank you to all those who helped us at the centre and in the hides. We have been for the last couple of weekends and love the place.

Spider...

My wife and I were at Saltholme yesterday and we had a smashing visit. From the staff who gave us some help with our new venture into photograghy and digiscoping, to the lads we met in the hide who helped us see the wood sand and garganey amongst others. There was so much happening we just missed a Whimbrel in all the excitement. We got some nice pics and learned a great deal. Thanks to all who helped us, we,ll be back very shortly:t:

I just want to say a big thank you to all those who helped us at the centre and in the hides. We have been for the last couple of weekends and love the place.

Spider...

Thank you very much for the feedback gents. We always like to think we're doing a good job but to hear it from you guys out and about is really satisfying. Have passed on your comments to our hide guides too.

Thank you for coming to see us and also thank you for saying hello on here. We don't have that much traffic so it's nice to hear from you. Please tell anyone else on BirdForum or the reserve that you know about this topic as it's a good opportunity to hear your thoughts (good and bad) about the reserve.

Look forward to hearing from you soon

I'm actually going to miss it this weekend, even though we are off to the lakes for a couple of days ... See you the weekend after though ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back