• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rutland Ospreys 2010 (1 Viewer)

More ospreys arrived back at Rutland. The breeding female from Site B has returned (Sunday) and the young female that spent last summer with 32(05) is back - only she's with 5R at Manton Bay at the moment.

Website still dead - but they're updating on Twitter.

Cracking shots Ian - (note to self - I'm gonna need a bigger lens!)

I've been over there the last two Saturdays, but haven't got pictures as good as that. Although, Mrs 5R did come and take a good look at me when I was stood at the bridge on Saturday.

The previous weekend 5R caught a pike down at the bridge end of the bay - unfortunately I was in the hide a few hundred yards away so all I got were some rather distant shots as he took it back to the nest. The pike were spawning in the shallows just in front of Shallow Water hide, so I was hoping he might come and catch one right in front of us - but it wasn't to be.

On a less happy note - have you heard any more about the missing ospreys?

Attachments

• OspreyMrs5R_0899_1024.jpg
    OspreyMrs5R_0899_1024.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Osprey5R04_0817_900.jpg
    Osprey5R04_0817_900.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
there has been reports of a pair of rutland ospreys being shot. Can anyone confirm? I hope not. :-(

2 males mysteriously disappeared within a few days of each other in the first half of april and have not been seen since.

investigations are underway into what has happened to them.

though it's probably not too big a leap of imagination to suspect moron with gun they have such a good record where raptor conservation is concerned

Sorry, been in Bulgaria for a week lol

No more has been seen or heard of the 2 missing males, especially suspicious as one had a mate and nest ! Highly likely they have been shot, or killed in some other way. Not good news, there will always be imbeciles out there i guess :(

Took these during my last watch on Wednesday morning :)

Attachments

• Osprey25.jpg
    Osprey25.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Osprey24.jpg
    Osprey24.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 47
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back