• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - birding opportunities (1 Viewer)

jmid1372

Hi, potentially looking at staying in Saalbach - Hinterglemm area in late July for a week and wondered what birding opportunities there might be in the area. I shan't have access to a car but would be looking to get out and about using local ski lifts, mountain trains etc. directly from the resort . I've got four alpine species that I would particularly like to see. What chances of me bumping into Nutcracker, Alpine Chough, Alpine Accentor, Snowfinch. Any info gratefully received. Thanks

I do not know that particular area very well so have just looked at satellite and trail maps. I think you'll struggle with Alpine Accentor and Snowfinch right there as most of the direct hill seem grass-covered and gentler. Both species prefer rockier mountainous terrain so you might need to go a little further for them. I expect you'll have Alpine Chough in the village (on poor weather days) and floating around the peaks on nice days. Nutcracker could be around there, but you'd want to ask the locals if there are any Stone Pine ("Zirben") woodlands around for your best bet

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back