• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sabah for 5 days/nights (1 Viewer)

Frogfish

Opinions Sought for a free beer ! B :)

I'm considering a short trip to Sabah around the 23/24th of this month (July) for 4/5 nights (I live in Shanghai) whilst my wife is away on a business trip :D

I'm always happy driving myself around if I need to (which I think I do ?), so have considered two options :

a) Hire a car and do Mtn Kinabalu Park, Kota Belud, Likas Lagoon, Crocker Range (recommendations ?), Poring Hot Springs. I'll stay in reasonable lodgings just outside the park rather than in lodgings inside (maybe Fairy Garden Resort) ?

or

b) Fly KK to Lahad Datu, hire a car (if necessary) and take in Tabin Wildlife Resort, Kinabatangan River and maybe fly to Sandakan before KK for the Rainforest Discovery Centre (Sepilok) for the Bristlehead !

I'm not interested in seeing semi-captive OUs (done that in Penang) but would love to see Proboscis monkeys, Gibbons, Langurs and other arboreals, Malay civet, etc too - but only if the habitat coincides with good birding !

Birds of interest (number of species ticked, and especially highly colourful birds for photography, are prized over their rarer plainer cousins) : hornbills, pittas, kingfishers, bristlehead, sunbirds, trogons, laughing thrushes, flowerpeckers, Green Magpie, Spider Hunters, Raptors, Owls, Broadbills .... did I miss anything ? :D

Would love to hear opinions on what to do / not to do / what I've got right / what I've got wrong / do I have enough time !

Also will I benefit from / do I need a guide ? if so what will a guide cost me per day and would they provide the transport ? I'm trying to keep costs down to a reasonable level so the wife doesn't think I'm blowing our main holiday fund !

Many thanks !
Kevin

Bookings made for anyone who may want info in this regard in the future (PM me).

2 nights Sepilok (RDC), 2 nights Kinabatangan, 2 nights Mt Kinabalu.

Still looking for any more good birding tips (thanks for that great info Dave) especially, with these top of my 'hit list' photographically speaking (places I know they have been seen are in parenthesis) :

Barbet, Blue Eared (RDC)
Bristlehead, Bornean (RDC)
Broadbill, Black & Red (RDC)
Broadbill, Black & Yellow
Broadbill, Long Tailed
All 8 Hornbills (Kinabatangan)
All Kingfishers (Kinabatangan)
Magpie, Bornean Green
Malkoha, Raffle's
Owl, Buffy Fish (Kinabatangan)
All spiderhunters / sunbirds / pittas (esp. Giant & Fairy) !
Trogon, Diard's (RDC)

On my trip in 2009 this is where we had the species you wanted:

Barbet, Blue Eared - Poring, Danum, and Kinabatangan
Bristlehead, Bornean - Sepilok Walkway
Broadbill, Black & Red - Kinabatangan (and Brunei)
Broadbill, Black & Yellow -Poring and Kinabatangan
Broadbill, Long Tailed - Opposite Raffelesia Center (and they're very uncommon in Borneo)
All 8 Hornbills - Danum and Kinabatangan
All Kingfishers - Kinabatangan
Magpie, Bornean Green - Mt. Kinabalu
Malkoha, Raffle's - Danum, Sepilok, Kinabatangan
Owl, Buffy Fish - Kinabatangan
All spiderhunters/sunbirds - different ones at different places.
Pittas (esp. Giant & Fairy) - Giant was heard at Kinabatangan. No sign of fairy. Black-headed at Danum and Kinabatangan. Blue-headed and blue-banded at Danum. Hooded at Kinabatangan.
Trogon, Diard's - Danum

Many thanks Jeff for that - looks like I have a chance at most which is great !

Your Sichuan trip looked fabulous (nearly 250 species in how many days !?) - didn't expect you to do so well in Summer which is why I switched my attention to Borneo from Sichuan, Xishuangbanna and Dali !

Last edited:
hi froggy,
you have a very ambitious list for 5 days, i found forest birding in borneo very slow-going, but for sure you will see plenty of good birds and have a good chance of seeing any of the species on your list, however one sp. which i believe you have very little chance of seeing is fairy pitta which is only a rare visitor to sabah.
cheers,
james

hi froggy,
you have a very ambitious list for 5 days, i found forest birding in borneo very slow-going, but for sure you will see plenty of good birds and have a good chance of seeing any of the species on your list, however one sp. which i believe you have very little chance of seeing is fairy pitta which is only a rare visitor to sabah.
cheers,
james

Thanks James - just finished the itinerary (I'll post the whole thing once the lodgings are confirmed) but it seems to come together nicely, it's now 7 days 6 nights which I guess makes it a lot easier even though one of those days is lost to travel !

Fairy Pitta - I have ticked it here in Shanghai (with McMadd from the China forum) but I've love better shots than this one :D It can be found in Nanjing .. and that's a lot closer but will have to wait until next Spring.

Attachments

• Fairy%20Pitta-X2.jpg
    Fairy%20Pitta-X2.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Many thanks Jeff for that - looks like I have a chance at most which is great !

Your Sichuan trip looked fabulous (nearly 250 species in how many days !?) - didn't expect you to do so well in Summer which is why I switched my attention to Borneo from Sichuan, Xishuangbanna and Dali !

The trip was about two weeks.

In the mountains breeding starts later than in the lowlands, so the species that are resident are still active. And the large range in possible elevations means that there's a broad range of species associated with each.

The credit for the total really goes to Sid. There were very specific locations for certain target species, like Chinese blue flycatcher, firethroat, Sichuan Jay, and others. These spots came right down to the specific km marker on the given road. If you didn't know those locations, you were extremely unlikely to find anything but the mor common species.

From my trip earlier this year....of course others may know better places, just my experience...

Barbet, Blue Eared (RDC) - if you can find a fruiting tree then you will find these around RDC....I picked up a lot of them with other barbets and a few types of flowerpecker at a fruiting tree along the main road near the Orangutan Sanctuary.

Bristlehead, Bornean (RDC) - not easy, need some luck...usually spotted from canopy walkway but could turn up anywhere.

Broadbill, Black & Red (RDC) - Kingfisher trail but found the Botanical garden at RDC the most reliable. Also common at Kinabatangan.

Broadbill, Black & Yellow - usually common but I somehow dipped on them my last visit...seen on previous trip from the canopy walkway.

Broadbill, Long Tailed - Spotted nesting just up the hill from the Rafflesia Centre.

All 8 Hornbills (Kinabatangan) - The river in the evening will give you most species....helmeted is difficult without a Guide. You will also pick up a few species at RDC.

All Kingfishers (Kinabatangan) - Blue-eared and Stork-billed are common on the river. Black-backed can often be spotlighted roosting at night. RDC is also quite good for some Kingfishers

Magpie, Bornean Green - Mount Kinabalu....seemed to spot them quite often on Silau Silau trail where they were feeding young. Also seen quite often in the trees between Liwagu Restaurant and Rajah Lodge. Heard them calling loudly one morning on Sila Silau and turned out they were getting excited by a Barred Eagle-Owl eating a squirrel.

Malkoha, Raffle's - Seen a few times at RDC.....when you arrive at RDC carpark try continuing walking down that road and bear right down a non-paved road.

Owl, Buffy Fish (Kinabatangan) - at the lodge you are staying there is a resident Buffy Fish-Owl that if you are lucky perches close in it's day roost. I found this one right next to the platform where the boats leave.

All spiderhunters / sunbirds / pittas (esp. Giant & Fairy) ! Little Spiderhunter is easy at RDC...the other Spiderhunters are possible but more difficult. Try the Kingfisher Trail and the Botanical Garden. Brown-throated, Olive-backed, Ruby-Cheeked, Crimson Sunbirds are all common around the Botanical Garden and along the road on the way to RDC. There was also a Copper-throated hanging around the botanical garden. Picked up Plain Sunbird at the Broadbill Tower and Purple-naped at Gomonatong Caves. Temminck's around the HQ at Mt Kinabalu.

Pittas - I never saw any but ask at the lodge at Kinabatangan as they are often seen on the night walks (bring your own boots if you have greater than size 10UK (it get's muddy on those trails) and spray) Night walks at this lodge also produced Tarsier most nights.
Trogon, Diard's (RDC)[/QUOTE] - Kingfisher Trail seems reliable and Red-naped from Broadbill Tower

For photography you may also want the Red-bearded Bee-eater....try the open area with the pond on the Kingfisher Trail. Baya Weaver nests are close to the main road and give great photo opportunities, found on the left side of the main road heading towards the Orangutan Sanctuary.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:
Confirmed Itinerary.

23rd : Shanghai-HK-Kota Kinabalu (arrive mid afternoon)
23rd : Bird TG Aru Beach
23rd 21.00: Flight to Sandakan and 15 mins from the airport to Sepilok Jungle Resort (2 nights).

24th dawn 'til dusk : Rainforest Discovery Centre and surrounding area. May include Orangutan Rehab Centre for the birding.
24th 18.00 - 20.00 : RDC (Night Walk)

25th dawn : RDC area
25th 07.00 - 12.00 : RDC
25th 12.30 : Pick up and transport to Sukau Nature Lodge (2 nights)
25th 16.30 : First boat trip on Kinabatangan River
25th Evening : 2nd boat trip for sleeping/night birds/mammals

26th dawn : 3rd boat trip for birds
26th a.m. : 4th boat trip to Oxbow Lake (birds)
26th p.m : 5th boat trip on Kinabatangan River
26th Evening : 6th boat trip for sleeping/night birds/mammals

27th dawn : 7th boat trip for birds
27th a.m. : breakfast then travel to Sandakan Airport in time for 12.50 flight to KK.
27th p.m. : Car Hire and travel to Mt Kinabalu Park (KP) (2 nights @ D'Villa Rina Ria Lodge - 500m to Park entrance and to the Panataran Kinabalu Restaurant)
27th p.m. : Bird KP

28th all day : Bird KP

29th dawn : Bird KP
29th 08.00 : Travel to Poring (45 mins) for 3 hours birding.
29th 12.00 : Travel to KK (120 mins)
29th 16.30 : Ciao Sabah !

If I'm not knackered after that .......... :D

Any tips ? Adjustments required ?

Last edited:
Looks good....just be aware that the Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre charges a crazy 1,000RM for a long lens and 10RM for any other camera...and their trails were all closed in February. You have a great chance of seeing wild Orangutans at Kinabatangan anyhow. If they include this trip in your package you can do what I did and ask if they will change to the Gomanatong Caves instead...they did this for me at no extra cost. The road to the caves is a great birding area and worth walking!

oh and you will be knackered.....but happy!

Cheers

Dave

Looks good....just be aware that the Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre charges a crazy 1,000RM for a long lens and 10RM for any other camera...and their trails were all closed in February. You have a great chance of seeing wild Orangutans at Kinabatangan anyhow.

Thanks for the heads up Dave - that's crazy ! If they want to charge me US$300+ to take my lens in (Nikon 300/2.8) - and it isn't the OUs I want to shoot anyway - I'll skip it.

We had a large male orang at the parking lot at Gomontong, happily munching on leaves just a few meters away from us. It was totally oblivious to our presence.

Gomontong Cave itself is nothing special. In fact it's kind of disgusting. As our group leader put it, the fact that we were there confirmed that "It's all about the list." In other words, the real reason to go there is to have positive confirmation of the different swiftlet IDs by seeing them on the nest, since they can't really be IDed in the field.

We skipped the rehab center. It's a zoo - both literally and figuratively.

just a minor defence of the rehab centre, (not trying to influence frogfish's itinerary particularly as RDC is certainly preferable for birding purposes)

while it's undoubtedly not a great place to go birding, and particularly not to photograph birds by the sounds of it(!), it's (IMO) a worthwhile project, a nice place and a good experience, and it is certainly not a "zoo" in any sense of the word i understand it (and i like zoos anyway...).
The orangs that can be seen at the feeding station are rehabilitated orphans that have been released and live an unrestrained life in a large forest reserve (~40km2, extending up to the RDC), returning occasionally to the centre to take advantage of the free supplementary food. Are they truly wild?? maybe not but i'd be considering it carefully if i hadn't seen them in Danum Valley and Kinabatangan, particularly as we saw at least one infant which must have been born in the wild. The small part of the site that is open to visitors is admittedly very popular with tourists but as with all mainstream nature attractions the bulk of the crowds disperse pretty fast and you're able to enjoy the orangs in relative peace. And if you do go take your binox too (even if you leave your long lens at home!) as we saw both bristlehead and giant squirrel, although neither very well admittedly.
cheers,
james

For Giant Pitta you could try the end of the short (c1km) trail that leads into the forest from the Orang Utan rehab centre at Sepilok. We saw a male there a couple of years ago.

Enjoy your trip!

Thank you James & Jeff, I appreciate the comments.

I have already read a lot about the OUs Rehab Centre but as I have already seen OUs in a semi-natural state in Bukit Merah when we stayed in Penang then I don't have any interest in visiting the Rehab, except for the birds.

By checking through EBird.com (fantastic info on sightings all over the world with Sabah sightings plotted and even details of location by location month by month e.g. Poring, Mtn Kinabalu etc. etc.) I found quite a few sightings of Diard's Trogon there - so it seems as good a bet as anywhere else in Sabah.

The Sepilok Kabili Forest Reserve is not a zoo. There are resident Orang Utan in the reserve itself before the place was turn into sanctuary for the Orang Utan. Those brought in to Sepilok will have a mark on the left leg and will be monitor for few years etc. Then they do released them back to the wild. So the Centre is doing a great job.

Sometimes during fruiting season, you don't see Orang Utan at the feeding platform because there are plenty fruits in the forest. So not guarantee to see Orang Utan too. Zoo does guarantee!

Access road to Gomantong Cave is great with Hornbills, Babblers, Pittas, Trogon and Kingfishers. Around the cave itself also good with Raptors such as Bat Hawk, Jerdon's Baza and Peregrine Falcon. Occasionally can get the Bornean Falconet too.

The night walk at RDC runs few times in a week and it is depends with the no of visitors that signed up for the walk. My opinion is better to join the night walk at the sanctuary itself because the Rangers gets many interesting nocturnal wildlife. If you wanted to see the Red Giant Flying Squirrel around 6PM at RDC, go to the second bridge that leads you to the Trogon Tower. One big tree where the Slender-billed Crow always perched during day time, that also the place for the Squirrel.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back