• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Samburu, Kenya, October 2023 (1 Viewer)

AndyS56

This is the last stop on our trip to Kenya, and the final batch of questions. My best attempts are:
2362: Some species of Lark, if so what?
2735: Variable Sunbird;
2747: Grey Hornbill - although the guides I've looked at show them to be more brown than grey.
2998: Some species of Weaver, if so what?
3155: Possibly a Wattled Starling although it doesn't look like the others that I saw;
3198: ?
3202: Juvenile Tawny Eagles?

TIA

Andy

Attachments

• _L3A2362.jpg
    _L3A2362.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 30
  • _L3A2735.jpg
    _L3A2735.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 27
  • _L3A2747-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    _L3A2747-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 24
  • _L3A2932-Enhanced-NR-2.jpg
    _L3A2932-Enhanced-NR-2.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 26
  • _L3A2998.jpg
    _L3A2998.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 25
  • _L3A3155.jpg
    _L3A3155.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 30
  • _L3A3198.jpg
    _L3A3198.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 29
  • _L3A3202.jpg
    _L3A3202.jpg
    612 KB · Views: 31
No book used so apologies for any errors.

Red-capped Lark 2362
Wattled Starling 3155
White-throated for 2932
Hornbill is Von der Decken's I think.
Possibly Pink-breasted Lark for 3198
Sunbird is possibly an immature Marico?

Last edited:
Red-capped Lark > Edit (see JWN Andrewes below) Foxy Lark
I would go for Mariqua, as I didn't think variable was quite so blotchy on the breast, but...?
Female Von der Decken's
White-throated Bee-eater
Pass for the time being
Wattled Starling
Pink-breasted Lark?
Tawny Eagle

Warning: I seem to be going through a bad patch with lots of mis-IDs recently, so treat with caution.

Last edited:
Many thanks to you all for your help. Much appreciated.

Andy
Did you get a conclusion on 998, maybe from another source? It seems a good enough photo that someone should get it. I now think that if it's not the Chestnut Weaver, then it's perhaps a vidua or euplectes, but have no idea which one.

Last edited:
Did you get a conclusion on 998, maybe from another source? It seems a good enough photo that someone should get it. I now think that if it's not the Chestnut Weaver, then it's perhaps a vidua or euplectes, but have no idea which one.
I have settled on Chestnut Weaver - the entry in my Helm Field Guide looks very much like my photo - if I'm wrong so be it! Many thanks for taking the time to research this further for me.

The field guide also shows breast streaking to be more extensive, not restricted to breast sides as here but, Chestnut Weaver seems to be the best fit to me.
Slightly off-topic: Andy, I thought you were going to be in Ghana now?

When my wife joins me in retirement in, I hope, less than a year, then we'll be off on trips while we are still fit.

At home, I'd be watching the forum; but away it would be birds, animals, and of course the local culture (as much as possible); and a good meal, drink and chat in the evening and BirdForum (wonderful as it is) wouldn't see me until I got back home.

No, that's not me (unfortunately)!

I would urge you to fit in as many trips as you can while you can. None of us knows what may be lurking round the corner.

No, that's not me (unfortunately)!

I would urge you to fit in as many trips as you can while you can. None of us knows what may be lurking round the corner.
I was talking in my off-topic post to Andy Adcock, a long-term Bird Forum friend and helper, as I thought was obvious from the reply quote, and not you, Andrew Shaw. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Slightly off-topic: Andy, I thought you were going to be in Ghana now?

When my wife joins me in retirement in, I hope, less than a year, then we'll be off on trips while we are still fit.

At home, I'd be watching the forum; but away it would be birds, animals, and of course the local culture (as much as possible); and a good meal, drink and chat in the evening and BirdForum (wonderful as it is) wouldn't see me until I got back home.
I've been Mac, got back on Tuesday morning.

Just back from hospital, managed to put my foot down a hole and gashed my shin, five stitches. Had the stitches out before I came home and the wound reopened, Dr says it should have had ten stitches, that's why it reopened.

I've been Mac, got back on Tuesday morning.

Just back from hospital, managed to put my foot down a hole and gashed my shin, five stitches. Had the stitches out before I came home and the wound reopened, Dr says it should have had ten stitches, that's why it reopened.
Well, I hope the trip was otherwise worthwhile and that you recover soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back