• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Samburu, Kenya, October 2023 (1 Viewer)

Well, I hope the trip was otherwise worthwhile and that you recover soon.
Thanks Mac,
the wound was covered after I had the stitches out so I had no idea of the state of it until I unwrapped it to have a bath when I got home. The wound was wide open and full of green stuff and I must admit, I was pretty scared for a while but the antibiotics seem to have things under control. They say they won't restitch it and it could take quite some time to heal. The hole I put my foot down, was a disused drain, square, cast in cement with sharp edges, this is what caused the cut. As my foot went in to the hole and my upper body continued forward, it was excruciating and I was waiting to hear to sound of my leg, break.

It's really interesting to observe the variety of bird species that have been identified and the collaborative effort involved in pinpointing them. The suggestion that 2362 is a Foxy (Abyssinian) Lark seems founded especially considering its sighting, in Samburu. The Variable Sunbird could possibly be a Mariqua Sunbird judging by the blotchy pattern on its breast. The consensus regarding Von der Deckens Hornbill, the female brings a perspective to light. As for 2998 settling on the Chestnut Weaver as suggested by the Helm Field Guide appears to be a conclusion despite some variations, in breast streaking. It's truly commendable to witness dedication and determination when it comes to identifying birds with all the challenges and uncertainties involved.

Curious where you got it. Was the bird cooperative?
Waited two hours or so, it showed briefly, flew off and then came back for about two minutes. It was quite shy, I'd always presumed that they were fairly habituated, especially when you arrive and see the two, rough hewn benches that have been put in place in front of the nests.

Dusk seems to be the most reliable time now.

I'll have to check notes for the actual site name and get back.

Bonkro

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back